• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Free agency

Eric Wettschreck

Berrian was paid...but if he catches balls downfield he will be a welcome addition to the vikings!!!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tisosy11

• Scott K

• james_walleye

• LMITOUT

What do you think the first play from scrimmage will be next year? I'm guessing it will be play fake and deep ball letting teams know whats up.

Originally Posted By: james_walleye
What do you think the first play from scrimmage will be next year? I'm guessing it will be play fake and deep ball letting teams know whats up.

did brad childress get fired?

He actually did that a few times last year the first play, thats why i think its predicatable it will happen again.

Originally Posted By: Bluegill1510
The bears were not going to dish out the money that the vikes paid for Berrian period!

Neither were many other teams! Why do you think he ended up here? I bet he's just laughing his butt off at the money he got paid....4th highest paid WR in the league, BTW, and hardly the 4th best WR out there...maybe low 20's if even that.

The Vikes needed a WR no doubt about that, but they are paying this guy way too much. I guess they had to make sure they got him, but wow.

LIke state eariler - ITS A LOT OF MONEY...but if he catches balls down field he will be well, well worth it!

Im not sure about low 20's at all. If you can name me 20 wr's that are better than Berrian then please show me the list. Im not talking about personal preferences im talking about #'s here. Like everyone said before he did catch 71 balls from Rex "I couldnt hit a chevy" Grossman and Kyle "look at my beard and long hair" Orton. If he can catch 71 with 950 some odd yards from those 2 I think he can at least match that with ours. WHICH is a VAST improvement over what ANY of our wideouts did last year. Overpaid, debatable. I think he would of gotten that kind of money from any other team he would of visited. On another note Bill Parcells had said that the only way Jason Taylor is not going to play for miami this year is if he retires. So I think that dream is all but dead.

Don't forget didn't Brian Griese get a couple starts last year and just suck as well? Berrian will be a good player for this team I like the pick up.

Ok, now it's 2nd & 10. Whats next? grin.gif C'mon, 2 more plays then Kluwe is off to another busy season.

Originally Posted By: Born2Fish
Like everyone said before he did catch 71 balls from Rex "I couldnt hit a chevy" Grossman and Kyle "look at my beard and long hair" Orton.

I was waiting for this softball. grin.gif

Ahem, do I need to remind you who is the current starting QB for the Vikings? It ain't Cunningham and it ain't Culpepper. Three yards and a cloud of dust...and that's a pass play! So they have one good WR now, fine. What do you think defenses will do? Double team him and then what do you have left?

Three yards and a cloud of dust.

I wouldn't pick out your spot on the super bowl parade route just yet....

You want stats? You can't handle the stats? J/K.

2007 numbers:

Total receptions - 20th

Total yards - 22nd

Yards/game - 29th

TD's - 29th

Of course you overpaid for Berrien and the Bears followed that up by signing Briggs to a long term deal that most consider a steal. Look for the Bears to shop elsewhere for a wide out. Enjoy Berrien, Queens fans, he will break your heart and will break the teams bank! You way overpaid for him! Your deal was more than twice what the Bears were offering him during negotiations. Only time will tell.

Windy

Lmitout, if the vikings have a 3 reciever set in and now the defense has to use 2 defenders to cover a reciever, which they never had to do last year, now many guys at most are in the box?? Thats right its 7 and you don't stop AP with 7 guys. You decide to single BB on the outside and he WILL fry almost any corner in the league and for sure any corner in the NFC central. That is the difference. As far as numbers, how can you look at straight numbers last year and decide there are 20 recievers in the game better than he is? Try thinking about in in these terms once. What would some of your top recievers as far as numbers, what would they have done for the bears last year. An offense that was 30th as far as rushing. Do you think most of them would have had more than 71 catches for 950 yards??? If BB was playing next to TJ "whosyourmama" and had Palmer throwing the ball his numbers would have been top 10 in the league. You can't look at just numbers, you have to look deeper. Steve Smith last year, 1002 yards. 27th in the league in fantasy football points as far as recievers went. Fantasy football is straight numbers. You going to tell me there are 26 recievers better than Steve Smith out there?? Thats how lame numbers are. Its what BB's presence will bring to the vikings. He's a major outside weapon. He won't put up 100 catches and 1400 yards with 14 TD's for the vikes. He doesnt have to! Its what his presence will mean!

LOL. We'll see. I was asked for numbers, so I did. Berrian's numbers were even a little worse in their Super Bowl run.

An expensive decoy, but I really doubt he'll see much double-coverage anyway since he's not a receiver that deserves it, not to mention they don't have anyone to throw to him. The only reason I bought that up was that I knew someone would toss up that softball too, which they did. So, it looks like AP will continue to get stuffed more often than not, much like the latter part of the season when he was exposed.

I didn't know "presence" was worth the 4th highest WR on the pay scale.

AMEN! If you double up BB on the outside watch out for AP on the inside! If I do remember right I think he set the ALL TIME rushing yards for one game. Double up BB and watch as AP flys by you to the endzone!! And I havent heard anyone say a word on the SB. Im not saying he is going to be our ticket to the superbowl. But like I also said he is a VAST improvement over what we had last year. Sure he is not Johnson,Moss,Owens. But he is a burner and defenses have to respect that. And I think chicago needs Briggs there. I mean AP only put up about 224 yards on that great chicago defense last year. Certainly nothing to brag about! And im not too sure ANY good WR is going to want to stop in chicago. With the opportunity to have either Grossman or Orton throw them the ball, most will pass on that one. Once again im not sayin that the vikes will be in the SB but I do believe it is going to be between the Lions and the Bears for last place in the North.

the bears fans all over the net are uptight because they lost berrian. its the same thing that happened when the pack lost sharper.."oh he stinks, he's no good" fact of the matter is Berrian is poised for a breakout and the diehard bears fans are really upset they lost him. they now have the worst receiving corp to hit an NFL field in a looooooooong time. much worse even than what the vikes have fielded the last few years.

the bears are primed for about 3-4 wins right now barring an incredible draft

My Browns did pretty good in free agency, (Det) Shaun Rogers DT, (GB) Corey Williams DE and (NE) Dante Stallworth WR... Safe to say that should give us the division title on paper and maybe more. Our draft is gone in the first 3 rounds Brady Quinn 1st round traded to Dallas last year, 2nd round pick and Leigh Bodden CB for Shaun Rogers and the 3rd round pick for Corey Williams. Resigned Derek Anderson for 3 years so we have two guys to command the ship if some one get's injured. The one thing the Browns needed was a good #2 wide receiver Jurevicious is retiring after this season so he will move to #3 as Edwards #1 and Stallworth #2 with Winslow at TE and Jamal Lewis running like a mad man, I just can't wait for the season to begin.

Our defensive line was the one piece of the puzzle that needed to be fixed. Stopping the run last year we just flat out stunk it up. Now with Corey Williams, Shaun Rogers and Robaire Smith with Shawn Smith in roation it will definitely provide alot of plug up power for Kameron Wimbley and Antwan Peek to do there thing from the outside.

Ok if you go back a post and read again what you posted you stated that "So they have one good WR now, fine. What do you think defenses will do? Double team him and what do you have left". Ok, now in your next post you say "An expensive decoy, but i don't really think he'll see much double coverage anyway because he's not a reciever that deserves it". Which is it Lmitout?

Scouting reports that i've read said he faced constant double teams last year being the ONLY weapon the bears had. He still managed 71 catches with 950 yards. So i don't really think you can say he's a reciever that will not demand double teams. I think your probably right though about facing double teams. Not because he's not worthy of recieving them, but because who would you rather take your chances on, AP or Berrian. But the difference is if you take your chances on Berrian versus what we have had is that you are going to pay. If he is singled up he will beat you all over the field. He didnt have the luxury in Chicago of not being the #1 weapon on the field. My biggest worry going into next year is not if Berrian can live up to his contract. Its if Chilly can use everyone right. There is no more excuses for him. He is the one who has stuck with Jackson. He has one of the top 2 RB's in the NFL in your backfield and hes not a rookie anymore, he has expierience. And now you have brought in what you believe is a bonified threat on the outside. Obviously i'm not the only he believes that, i didnt fork out $16 million bucks. There is a whole core of people from the vikes front office to the coaching staff to the owner who believes it. And Chilly also has the defense pretty much in place to compete at a high level. Its time to see if Chilly can coach at a high level now.

Well everyone here knows my thoughts on this. I was hoping they would get him. They got him. I believe he'll have a big impact. National media from what i've read and heard has said its a good signing, instantly upgrading the reciever core. The only people who are think there was something wrong with it are a few vikings fans. Fans who last year were probably shaking their heads because the vikings did nothing in free agency. Now they go get the 2nd best WR available and some people arent happy. I don't know what people are going to expect. If you want any high end FA at any position you will "overpay". Just wait until you see L Fitzgeralds contract when he becomes available. It will be rediculous. But that is the NFL of today.

Super bowl? Probably not! Playoffs, yes! We only missed them last year by one game, we are going into this season with a better core then we have had in awhile. The other nice thing is these guys are young, and if we dont get it all this year, we wont be very many pieces away from it!

It is called bait, and it was swallowed hook, line, and sinker. \:\) I knew that someone would bring up the double coverage/AP "running wild" bit so I just put it out there first. Maybe more like chumming, than bait. ;\)

We need a QB.....

Do not debate with LimitOut.....you will lose...been there done that, it sure is fun to try though grin.gif

We need a QB.....

Title of the post is free agency. Anybody can talk about any team, any player, anything!

The Vikings at least will hopefully generate interest in the team. Remember how KMSP had to buy up a bunch of tickets just so there weren't any blackouts? Expectations for the team were pretty low and they did next to nothing in free agency last year. This year they obviously didn't want to repeat that song and dance. I think they were at least trying to generate some interest. The players aren't shoddy but as has been said they did overpay...I think you will see that trend continue...Money to burn with an increasing salary cap.

The Browns and the AFC North will be tough this year. No pushovers in that league.

The Saints and 49ers sure have been busy. Guess we'll see the results this fall.

Baiting...well...i call it what will happen. I guess if i took it hook, line and sinker then call me a fool because that is what will happen if you play 7 in the box against this team next year. You know this arguement that well what good does it do to bring him in when you don't have a QB to get him the ball? What are these people expecting the team to do? Because they have young unproven QB you just leave the recieving core below average and totally forget about the passing game? In past years fans complain when the team brings in over the hill or mediocre at best players to try and fill holes. Now the team goes and did what it had to to snag the 2nd best reciever out there. A young guy whos first 2 years he caught 15 and 13 passes. His 3rd year 51. And last year 71 catches, 47 of them being for 1st downs. The man is entering his prime and his potential is untapped.

I still havent seen anyone explain how a reciever that they believe ins't superior can catch 71 balls for almost a 1,000 yards for the bears last year. If your not a superior reciever how do you catch that many balls on a team that had the 30th ranked rush offense?? How do you catch that many balls while getting coverage rolled to your side?? How do you catch 71 balls if all you can do is run fly patterns which people have stated. Mediocre recievers don't catch 71 balls on a terrible offense when coverage gets rolled to them. You have to be pretty good to still be able to do that. Now coming to MN where its not so easy to roll coverages if you want to stop the powerhouse running game. And its not as if no other teams were going to give him what the vikings did. Multiple teams would have in a heartbeat, but MN just didn't let him leave town.

Ok Lmitout...Berrian is going to help this team. It will be nice to have an option downfield.

He's the 4th highest paid receiver today...by the end of the week he will be the 5th or 6th and next year likely in the mid teens...

I am sick of people ripping on T-Jak...he got the ball downfield and was progressing. He had at least 2 TDs dropped by Mr. Williamson. With Rice, Wade and Berrian AP and Chester will be able to break open more runs.

This team has a long way to go yet, but as of right now we are better than we were last year and hopefully we can make a couple more acqusitions.

I will tell you something - I am truly excited!