• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Free agency

Eric Wettschreck

Looks like the Raiders signed Gabril Wilson to a big contract. Shouldnt they be running out of money? Maybe they wont have any left to offer Berrian!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tisosy11

• Scott K

• james_walleye

• LMITOUT

Berrian is not in Oakland...He is still in Minnesota and looks to be here in contract discussion through the night...

Berrian-5 year contract. Look for it this morning(sat. march 1) Not sure about the sources' cred. though.

Expect Berrian and Smith to be wearing purple hats by tomorrow mid afternoon!!!

Then they need to move their focus to depth...LB, OL, WR?

49ers just signed Smith to a 6yr $45 million dollar contract with $20 million guaranteed. Time to move to plan B for a DE. Jevon Kearse?

What about odom from the titans? He had 8 sacks last year, plus 2 years younger that smith?

An odd thing happened as media members waited in the Winter Park practice facility for the Madieu Williams’ news conference to begin. A Vikings official and someone wearing a Vikings cap and with a Vikings jersey in his arm emerged from the team’s weight room.

First thought: Did we just see Bernard Berrian? It certainly wasn’t Williams and it looked like Berrian. (Update: After examining his picture in the Bears media guide, we are now sure it was the 6-foot-1 Berrian.)

well that's good to hear since we didn't get Smith. At least there making an attempt to make the team better unlike some of the other MN teams.

Re. Barrian from a Bears fan on another site:

Bad routes, dropped passes, absolutely no blocking; all he has is speed, a commodity which many receivers in this draft seem to have. Perhaps at 5 million a year, but never, never an 8 million a year player. Most players in the last year of their contract give you the best they have; we all saw what Berrian had to offer. No thanks...

A guy who has no assets other than speed doesnt catch 71 balls for 951 yards in that worthless offense. The only weapon they had period, rushing or recieving and he did that. I have a friend who is a diehard bears fan and he said he could about puke right now with whats going on. The only serious weapon the bears had and it looks like hes moving within the division.

Yea your right Chicago QB situation was terrible last year. Everyone on the Vikes board on espn say we got Berrian signed to a 6 year deal avg. 7 mil a year.

Yeah it was, but the key was he played on a team that had the 30th ranked rush offense. Teams didnt have to load up on the running game like they will against the vikings. Berrian was the main weapon for the bears and put up 71 catches and 951 yards. As i have said before, what would have a Chad Johnson who people say is an elite reciever put up for numbers with the bears last year. You can't honestly say it would have been any better. I was honestly surprised he put up the numbers he did in that chicago offense. This is a good reciever with untapped potential in my mind who is coming to a situation that is pretty sweet for him. Facing single coverage and running free all over one of the fastest tracks in the NFL.

Type in Berrian Signs with Vikings into Google and go to Da Bears Blog. I think they are a little sore that berrian left. Actually every bear board says we overpaid for a receiver that isnt worth the money. But who do they got now? Hester? They are praying for Moss!!!

The Vikings reached an agreement with free agent wide receiver Bernard Berrian on Saturday. Berrian signed a six-year, $42 million contract, with $16 million guaranteed.

Don't let bears fans kid you. I have 2 friends that are diehards, and they are both sick he is gone and worse yet to the vikings. Of course we overpaid, but what are you going to do?? That is the NFL of today. Teams managing the cap and having lots of $$ to spend. Every top end FA at any position gets overpaid.

the next step is either getting odom or trading for jason taylor (ideal) who badly wants out of miami.

i've also heard javon walker could go for a 5th round pick...i know his knees are extremely questionable. but Walker,Berrian, Rice, and Wade sounds awesome

Yeah we MAY have overpaid but I do believe he is a GIANT upgrade over what we have now. He should help AP gain some more yards and overall help the offense.Anyone think that we are gonna make a move for another QB? Personally I think we might make a move for Losman. We have made some moves that have filled some needs so trading for a "decent" backup in case Jackson does not work out would be a good idea. Anyone know if Culpepper has signed anywhere?? \:\)

I would LOVE to see Taylor in purple and gold. Taylor, Williams, Williams....WOW!!

The Vikes didn't over pay for these guys...as of right now they would pay Berrian for 7 million a year and Williams 5.5 million a year and Tapeh 1 million a year. We still have around 13-15 million under the cap, plus these contracts that these players sign now a days are so backloaded with money its sick, thats why they sign the huge signing bonuses because thats really their own guarenteed money. For instance Berrian probably won't make 7 million this year but more close to 5-6 million so the vikes can save a few million and use that towards other players. Then later on in these players contracts they are so backloaded with money that a player like Berrian could be making 10-12 million in his last years of his contract and if he doesn't restructure he will more than likely become a salary cap casualty and be cut, like Issac Bruce this year.

BLUE.... I agree with you all the way. Hes not over paid, they needed someone that can carry the wideout crew. And i believe they have one now.

I wouldn't mind Losman. He's capable. That's all they really need. A caretaker QB-That's what Jackson isn't at this point. I'm not giving up on T-Jack, I just think he could use some more time and tutelage.

Yeah there is no way I would give up on Jackson yet. They just went out and got him a pretty darn good WR. He did make some good strides last year(his first starting!). I think AP will open up some great passing opportunities for Jackson to Berrian all season long. I also think Rice will have a breakout year with the addition of Berrian.

IMO if Bears fans are so upset about Berrian signing with us and saying we overpaid then they need to email or write a letter to the bears management voicing their concerns. The bears were not going to dish out the money that the vikes paid for Berrian period! They are more worried about re-signing Briggs which they did, and in hind sight I know Briggs is a blue chip player and with him along side Urlacher you have a great tandom, but honestly with the elite linebackers coming out of college now a days the Bears should of signed Berrian and let Briggs walk and let teams fight over him on the market. Rookie linebackers can step in and contribute right away as a rookie, when a WR it takes longer to develop into a fine player in this league, unless you draft a bluechipper like Randy Moss, or Owens or Chad Johnson which your chances are slim, and guys such as Patrick Willis LB drafted by the 49ers last year and rookie defensive player of the year this past season, and guys like Shawn Merrmian (SD), Demeco Ryans (Hou), AJ Hawk (GB), DeMarcus Ware (Dal), Lofa Tuputu (Sea), Odell Thurman (Cin), Barrett Ruud (TB), Briggs, Urlacher, Zach Thomas, etc. were attainable through the draft and pretty much contributed right away in their rookie seasons extensively.

So what I am saying sometimes its hard to pick and choose but in the Bears situation they have no talent for skill players besides Hester and maybe their running back, so letting Berrian walk when he is going to be in his prime for 2-3 more years is not planning well for the future of your team and fan base. When you could of kept Berrian and let Briggs walk, and just draft a talented linebacker in this year's draft.

IMO Barrian is a very solid addition to the Vikes. He was not overpaid--if the Vikes didn't give it up someone else would have. Vikes have added some really nice players in the past few days---hope they can keep it up. Taylor would really look nice in purple!!

Originally Posted By: CrappiesNCats
the next step is either getting odom or trading for jason taylor (ideal) who badly wants out of miami.

i've also heard javon walker could go for a 5th round pick...i know his knees are extremely questionable. but Walker,Berrian, Rice, and Wade sounds awesome

How is walker suppose to go for a 5th round pick when he was cut?