• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

its driving me nuts, i havent been up there since new yaers weekend. other than really cold what kind of snowfall has the area had since then. anything happeningin the catching fish dept? hope to get there soon.

Fishing has been pretty slow from everyone I've been talking to and experienced. It wouldn't be a bad idea to bring the extension along. We had a little bit of snow last night and with wind blowing like it has been a guy would have to watch out for the drifts. I'm hoping after this weekend the weather stabilizes and warms up. I've heard alot of people around here complaining about catching alot of small crappies, which should be a good thing next year or the year after. I personally think alot of people aren't hitting Red like they used to and our crappie lakes around here are getting more pressure. Just my .02

Brian

Hope the bite picks up...I'll be in the area the week of the 16th

Originally Posted By: bmc
Fishing has been pretty slow from everyone I've been talking to and experienced. It would be a bad idea to bring the extension along. We had a little bit of snow last night and with wind blowing like it has been a guy would have to watch out for the drifts. I'm hoping after this weekend the weather stabilizes and warms up. I've heard alot of people around here complaining about catching alot of small crappies, which should be a good thing next year or the year after. I personally think alot of people aren't hitting Red like they used to and our crappie lakes around here are getting more pressure. Just my .02

Brian

Brian, I think you are correct in assuming that the pressure is off red but consider this, the lakes around here have had minimal pressure while the crappie boom was in full swing. about eight years worth of minimal fishing pressure on our area lakes. every body was at red!

1 or 2 good hatches in that time should have made for a bumper crop(s).

I think this late ice season after the snow melts will see some extremely good fishing action for those willing to venture out and explore old haunts.

want to go explore?

Let me know!!! Week days are better for me, unless the kids feel like fishing when they're here on the weekends.

Brian

until this snow melts, I suppose snomobiles are better than trucks, though I do like the lazy way of being able to set stuff in the box and park over the honey hole grin.gif

I am in the process of mounting my custom built rack on the cat. that's the easy part. I'm trying to figure out how to mount the auger rack, which I have yet to build, but I'm working on it.

do you have a sled Brian?

there are places we can drive to.

right now I have no rentals going onthose are generaly weekends anyhow.

my bride has classes a couple days a week, but my oldest can watch the youngin's if need be.

I haven't fished moose all winter, not once, so i was thinking about setting the hard house out there for a week or so.

I have one spot in mind that would have to be sleds though and I have to figure the best way to go in. might have to break a trail by foot first before getting the long track buried in a place I can't get into any other way.

I am crappie oriented but will take a good sunny bite any time I find it.

this weekend or next week works for me.

I'm sledless and atvless. I know, I know it's a crying shame ain't it? LOL I work every other weekend, so weekends are tough for me. I'm off this weekend, but we're kidless this weekend so my wife and I are gonna go out on the town and Sunday a few of us are headed to LOW for a one day one night free for all. It should be interesting. If I survive, I'll be out during the middle of next week.

Brian

by all means keep the bride happy!

you might even enjoy yourself grin.gif

lake of the woods sounds fun. I usually go at least once right after our ice is ...questionable and it's still good up there.

good luck, I hope the fish cooperate.

I will be out somewhere next week. I will start probably tomorrow with this warm up coming. give bowstring a few days of melt down and it should be very accessable by pick up.

i will be up the weekend of the 15th. other than going out of highbanks where they have a good road system are the smaller lakes easier to travel by sled or atv? any more snow, fish biting?

As of today, I'd recommend a sled, but with the warm temps this week, I'd imagine we'll loose enough snow to make atv travel more do-able. I'll let you know later in the week as I'm gonna try to get some pay pack on those panfish that punched me in the eye so far this winter. LOL

Brian

bmc thanks. yea let me know how you did. game plan is winnie fri morning. wing it from there. i heard that the perch [jerk-bait] on round lake in squaw lake might be this weekend, is that true?

I believe the Squaw Lake F.D. perch [jerk-bait] is this coming Saturday. Along w/ the St. Patty's day stuff up there, Squaw Lake will be rockin'. It always falls on my weekend to work though. If you need any info. you could call The Hill or The Crow Bar I think.

Brian

if thats going on there that means less people fishing the lakes i will be on. yea!

I think mainly the locals fish it, but not sure of how many people out of the area.

Brian

bmc, did you go out and beat up on those pannies yet? have you ever fished island lake south of northhome? if so what, where.

The pannies once again win, very slow for me this week. Atv travel should be no problem now from what I saw Tuesday and Thursday. If it's warm out make sure you have some waterproof clothing on as there was lots of water on top of the ice yesterday. I've only fished Island a couple times during Memorial Day weekend about 15 years ago. A friend's parents used to have a cabin up there and we'd pound the walleyes. My cousin lives on the lake but doesn't ice fish.

Brian

Just got back from a 1.5 days of fishing. Fishing was slow. When the cloud cover left it seemed the fish became less aggresive. Lets hope the steady weather ahead will bring some good fishing to the area.

got back from fishing sunday nite. not good. 9 people fishing, one ice cream bucket of fillets. winnie did ok thurs, fri was bad. island wasnt any better. was told fish bit from9 to 11;30 pm. lakes by cabin stunk it up also. cutfoot was the best but crappies small and not that many. ice thickness varied by about a foot depending on the lake visited with winnie the thickest. extensions suggested.

Glenn, sounds like we made the right decision to wait until after Easter. Sorry to hear fishing wasn't too good for you. It can only get better. Just curious as to how much ice the smaller lakes have. Thanks and good luck the rest of the season!!!!

merc, i dont know with my schedule if im going to get out again. the ice on the smaller lakes im guessing had about 24 inches. had my extension on and could still see the top of the spiral of the auger, if this makes sense. travel should be ok, stay away from drifts. good luck, a lot can change before you get up there.

Thanks for the fishing report glenn. I wish it would've been alot more fast and furious! We won't be up at the cabin until at least the weekend after Easter now so hopefully if we wait a bit, the bite will pick up. I hope!!!

merc, lisa, no problem. hope fishing is better for yous by then. looks like it wont be until 2nd weekend in april before i can get back up there to fish. IF theres ice thats safe by then.