• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Taxidermists

trro0901

I'm looking for a taxidermist in the St. Cloud area. Anyone know of someone who does good work?

What do you want done? The guy I've used specializes in waterfowl but doesn't do anything else. Otherwise Trails End in Rice is pretty good I think as he teaches classes for want-to-be taxidermists.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I take all my work to KJ's Taxidermy in Eden Valley and I have never been dissapointed in his work.

paul schmidkunz in ST Cloud. He's in the yellow pages under taxidermy. He is veeeery good and veeeey busy too. He's worth the wait. Bill

I have two 12" crappies that I'd like to mount together. I've been looking around and 175.00 each is the lowest I've found. Does anyone have a picture of a crappie mount that they like. I'm not sure I want a flat mount. I'd like to get some depth coming off the wall, like getting the tail curled. Any input on that would be helpful. Trying to get a nice mount for the lady...who caught them...thanks for any advice.

Call Gary Donabauer out of St.Joseph,MN, good work & prices.P.s He has some pics & mounts to show you also.

Not to bash anyone but "the guy" in St Joeseph did a crappie for me 2 maybe 3 years ago and it was a bad mount not what I exspected. He has done 2 deer for me and they are wonderfull, but his fish mounts are not anywere near the quality as the deer. Just my thoughts.

B carefull with the guy in Rice. He farm's a lot of his mounts out to others. I have seen some nice work from him, but also some that was 6 months late on when it was supposed to be done.

Dont take anybodys word when it comes to a taxedermist go to there show rooms talk with them. Try and get the feeling their are proud of their work and they consider it art. Their are alot of good taxedermist but few great ones your preserving a great memory you should have great work done!!!!!

P.S. these guys often have longer wait times becuase they care and are not about turn over so just be ready to wait.

I are taking the right approach which is asking for recomendations. IMO there are very few people out there that are REALLY good. The good ones are not cheap and VERY busy. My guy is a min. of one year out but even if he was 2 years I would never go to anyone else.

I had a goose mount done once that I thought was very good and the guy did 100's of them a year. When I needed to get another one done I went to the guy I use now on a friends recomendation and the difference was unbelievable. I couldn't have the two in the same room with each other so I gave the first one to my brother.

I taxedermy you get what you pay and wait for.

I have been shopping aroung for someone to do some panfish mounts. How long are the lead times typically? The guy I am thinking of useing says it takes a year which I thought was very long. Is that the norm???

I seen a nice mount at kj's the crappie was getting pulled out of an ice hole pretty sweet looking.His work is impressive I bring my fish to a buddy of mine.He charges 8 bucks an inch.Nice work takes a long time.HE does it for a hobby thats why.

Real fish mount or graphite replica. Contact/ship your fish to Artistic Anglers in Duluth. Matt does replicas and skin mounts.

They have painted over 30,000 fish!!!!

YOU WON'T FIND ANYONE BETTER!!!

My brother-in-law and I each had 30" walleye replicas done at Fibertech in Nisswa this past year. They have a lot of mounts to choose from and their artists are great with the paint. They charged around 12-14 dollars an inch (with a driftwood mount). I will never go with a skin mount again.

rocky,

Once the fish is skinned and tanned it takes couple hours to mount it on the form. Then it takes a couple weeks for the fish to dry. After its dry an hour or two for fixing the fins and repairing shrunken areas and another hour or two for painting. So 5-6 working time and acouple weeks for drying time. Some taxidermists are back logged a year or so that is why it takes so long for some guys to get their mounts back.

Hello, im a new user of the website. ive been watchin the dicussion on taxidermists for about 2 days and i figured i should join in. one of my friends is in taxidermy school. he has a mounted a walleye northern and bass and they look awesome. i know he would really appreciate your business. he could probably have the mount back within 2 weeks. you can reach him at drop tine taxidermy.

[Please read forum policy before posting again. Admin]

I have 2 sunnies and 2 crappies to mount. I am trying to decide if I put all four on one piece of driftwood or have 2 sunnies on one piece and the two crappies on another. Any suggestions???

Rocky if you have a spot for all 4 fish on a piece of diftwood that's what I would do. Makes more of a scene out of them instead of a couple fish mounted.

Rocky I was in the same situation 2 years ago, when I got 2 crappies, a bluegill and pumpkinseed I wanted mount. I put all 4 on a piece of driftwood and it looks great! The taxidermist I had did a good job with painting and making those fish look like I just pulled em out the water. I have picture of the mount if you'd like to take a look, just post your email and I'll send it to ya.

stupid question but how do u post a picture on here??...sorry im computer illiterate when it comes to that stuff.

Mount Em Taxidermy in Clearwater does great work. It does take him a while though. He has mounted 2 northerns and a deer for me and they have been great.

If you click on the photo sharing forum there is a link at the top on how to post a pic. If that sounds like too much work you can send it to my e-mail and I could post it for you.

Do any of you have buddies, neighbors, etc, kinda like whitetail made mention to? My brother got a northern he wants to get done. However mounts aren't his cup of tea, so to speak. I've talked him into storing it in his freezer right now and to mount it, but he isn't too excited about the price it's going to cost him to put on the wall.. We just have different tastes and standards when it comes to that..So with that said, I'm certain he would be happy (for his 1st mount) someone who was just starting off or does it on the side for less. They have to learn too right? But if any of you guys that have someone you know, that you would recommend in a situation like this, send me an email so I can try to hook up the connection, so they could at least talk and work something out...

Here is my mount I got done 2 years ago Rocky. Hope it works!

foleymounts.jpg

This picture has a foot long ruler in it to get an estimate on the size of the fish on the mount.

foleymounts3.jpg