• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Planer board mast

Wade Joseph

Question

Anyone have plans for building one? Just don't have the funds available to purchase one right now.

I have some ideas and I am pretty mechanically inclined. Just looking for any ideas or plans anyone else might wanna share.

4 answers to this question

I built one a few years ago. Got a piece of aluminum pipe and put a pedastal seat mount socket on one end so it would plug into the floor like one of the seats. Put a couple eyebolts at the top with some pulleys.

Cut out circles of 1/4" plywood about the diameter of a coffee can for the line reels. I used spacers on some screws to build the reels. Put a small piece of steel tube through the center for a bushing and mounted both reels on a threaded rod. A couple plastic and fiber washer combinations and a wing nut served as a drag.

Was a lot of work and a little rough but it worked. Did not have any formal plans to go by.

Thanks for the reply bigdog. I have a similar set up in my head that I need to try to put down on paper and then build. I woulda thought with this many views of this topic I would have recieved a few more replies.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Wade, you can go as simple as 2" schedule 40 with long eye blots and hand wrap the line or buy the spools, pulleys, mount, and so on. Or make you spools like the above post.

Start out with how your going to mount the mast. You can buy or make the mount and fasten that to the boat or you can use an existing pedestal base and go from there.

Like you I have a lot of ideas and have done it different ways but nothing on paper. Sometimes you have to work with what you have.

Hahaha, Aint that the truth Frank. I was actually thinking of using gasline pipe and a flange for the mount and post. A couple pulleys and then making spools similar to those described. My seat bases are 2 3/8" and I can only find 2" pipe or Sched 80 so there is too much slop in using the seat bases.