• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opinions on Landing Dock on Rum River

Some idiot was on the rum yesterday up by the Bunker Lake bridge casting for who knows what. I watched him run planed out at about 35MPH up the river, then turned around and started fishign again. Idiot. Early 90s cresliner with a 115 outboard.

When I was leaving I heard his motor idle up out of the water at which point he leaned out and looked at the prop, then shut off the motor! LOL grin.gif He got what he was asked for when he planes out in a NO WAKE zone.

Tiger - watched that guy take his boat out - he was about as skilled at landing as you describe in operating. Tiller model? He was the guy putting his walleye and smallie baits away.

Kind of fun watching him be uncomfortable about my questions.

Originally Posted By: lake Off
Tiger - watched that guy take his boat out - he was about as skilled at landing as you describe in operating. Tiller model? He was the guy putting his walleye and smallie baits away.

Kind of fun watching him be uncomfortable about my questions.

Yeah, I was going to ask him if he was casting for suckers/carp but he flew by us. I wish I would have taken my boat out on the river and seen him do this. Then I would have questioned.

I just asked him what he was fishing for and when he told me "anything that would bite" I told him that pretty much only walleyes and smallies would bite on the baits I saw him put away and left it at that.

Not sure about the lake/lake thing - happened to Ray on another thread too...

I emailed admin, but haven't heard back. D A Z E = lake! LOL

That dude knew he was busted. Like a dog with the tail between the legs.

tiger -

Jut talked to the powers that be and they originally planned it for next week but with the snow melt from up north and predicted rain they are delaying it a week or so. The latest they said it would happen would be the Tuesday of the second full week in May which would be the 13th. It all depends upon the water flow of course.

Many other states allow fishing all year and during the spawn with no noticeable harm to the fisheries. The fish are vulnerable to over harvest at this time, but no more-and probably less likely to suffer hooking mortality because of the cold water, at this time.

Why do Minnesotan's get so worked up when we see people fishing before the season?Hans

I'm lust asking not advocating-I just posted yesterday questioning the desire to catch out of season fish myself.

For smallies anyway the answer for me is that they are such a precious and nearly irreplaceable resource. Unlike down in southern climates where fish reach trophy class in a few years, here in MN if you catch a 5# smallie you are looking at a fish that is at least 10 yrs old. It takes a huge long time to make one of those here so people messing with the process tend to tick me off.

Growth rates for LM tend to be better but still much slower than the rest of the warmer areas of the country. They are also more abundant than smallies here in MN.

That's just my answer - others may agree or agree for different reasons and even disagree....

Multiple reasons for and against. But it comes down to the personal ethics and belief in the DNR's practice or is this a state revenue thing? There are places to fish for bass 24/7 - ex. Pool 2.

I'm going out on a limb and will say because of the precious resource we have here and we need to protect it. It can't be because of the all mighty falling dollar, or can it? Hmm, I think I put myself in a box.

• 2 weeks later...

tiger -

Jut talked to the powers that be and they originally planned it for next week but with the snow melt from up north and predicted rain they are delaying it a week or so. The latest they said it would happen would be the Tuesday of the second full week in May which would be the 13th. It all depends upon the water flow of course.

Anyone know if followed their plan and have installed the boards yet?

in response to lake:

Smallmouth are a value game fish to many midwest fishermen and women. Although LM bass dominant more lakes then smallmouth do, it doesn't imply they aren't suriving at a moderate expecntancy. According to the world conservation union Smallmouth bass or anyfish that are in the dolomieu family are of least concern.

Warm southern weather allow these bass to feast on baitfish throughout the year due to the warm temputures interacting with their metabolism. These 8-10 pounders should not have any less respect then these 5-6 pounders or even the 3-4 pounders in the rivers and streams we find in the midwest.

I would agree that I hate seeing any smallie on a stringer ready for the frying pan. The one thing I have noticed is that the people who do harvest small mouth bass aren't typically targeting them. I would rarely see anyone use a #10 x-rap or 3.5 smoke tube jig. it's manly people who through out a hook and a worm hoping to get a bite from anything that can be beer batered.

Our focus should be on the protection of all freshwater fish. Weither being crappies, eyes or a bronzie. I personally have never kept any sort of bass and never will. somethings we just can't put in our hands, people can legally harvest bass and theres no stopping the people who want to eat this terrible tasting bass. All we can do is inform them that soon there will be no sport in fishing for the big one. Mind as we'll bring your fillet knife and pan in our bass boats.