• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opinions on Landing Dock on Rum River

Contacted the local authorities to see what it might take to have a landing dock installed at the Rum River South Park near the Anoka Fairgrounds.

I would like some feedback on whether folks think it would be a good idea and whether or not you think it would lead to more boat traffic?

So....have at it!

I would think it would be a good idea. I am all for it. I would also like to see docks installed in a few places on the Rum north of there. I think the Rum is a fantastic place and is under utilized by the majority of fishermen. I admit that the Rum can get too low at certain times of the year to use a boat on though. That may be a consideration for the Anoka County Park Board. However, I would love to see the river made more accessible. If you need my signature on a petition of something let me know. I can be reached at [email protected]

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

Thanks for the response - actually you hit on one of the concerns I had in that I'm somewhat afraid that if we make access easier it will lead to fishing pressure/usage beyond what the river system can handle....

Not sure where else north of there could be done except perhaps the county park way up in Ramsey.

I have someone who has offered to build one (with help) if we get permission.

That would be my guess make access easy and THEY WILL COME....&COME>>>>> Next posts will be how crowded the Rum is.

Thanks EB - I guess I'm leaning more and more against the idea but it sure would be nice to launch the boat without getting wet on those late fall trips...LOL

Should probably invest in a pair of waders and shut up....

lake Off! As I recall from looking at the County maps they do have landings near Cambridge on down in a few spots. Last year I remember someone saying they had one near Isanti? I know about the one in Cambridge but not Isanti I drove up to Cambridge last year and took the Float tube and Float Tube down the Rum to Anoka one weekend. I had the daughter drive my car home and pick me up In Anoka. I camped over night on a sandbar and it was perhaps the nicest weekend I have had in years. Man, the silence and having the river practically all to yourself except the ocaissional shore fisherman was FANTASTIC! I lost track of the number of walleyes and small mouth I hooked into. If you decide to do something like that, however, bring lots and lots of waterproof bug dope. Because when the sun goes down they show up with knives and forks! However, it was a good trip and Cambridge is NOT all that far away.

I know it's a pain. But that's why most won't put up with it. That river is just too small. my .02

Smaller rivers............keep the big boat crowds away,please.I need my peace and quiet

UncleKes,

That does sound like a fun weekend. Did you go early or later in the summer?

Oh, and I vote no to a landing dock.

Waders it is - forget the idea of a dock! With the budget cuts they would never have agreed to put one in anyway. The ramps are wrong for it too unless you put one on either side of the ramps instead of in the middle.

I always wanted to fish the Rum at night like around the full moon but have always been too fearful of leaving my truck and trailer in that lot by the fairgrounds unprotected.

Seeker! I went the last weekend in August. I carried a small truck inner tube and floated a couple of truck tarps and a small boy scout mess kit, wooden kitchen matches in a water proof bag and a small aluminum coffee pot. I had my sleeping bag as well.All these things are lashed to the inner tube and attached to my float tube with a piece of rope. They floated with me down the river.

I set up a lean to on a sand bar and after frying some fish with a can of beans. and washed down with coffee. I carry some water purification tablets in a small jar in my pocket. That is very important because you don't want to get sick from the water when you are alone out there. I don't think think the water would kiill you but getting the trots is no fun when you are just trying to have relaxing weekend. The idea is to catch fish not squat behind the bushes every 5 minutes. So if you do decide to do what I did either carry safe water with you or get some of those water purification tablets. The water tastes a little chemically but it won't make you sick.

Otherwise, it was a really fun trip and one I would think a lot of you out there might wqant to do. It is only about 30 miles long and something you can do with little equiment other than what I described.

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

Thanks for the info. I think that would be a great way to "get away from it all" without traveling too far. Take care.

haha i love my river nice and quiet lol, i have a spot on that river all to myself practically, and its not far from there. i think the river gets too low for boats that are of any size..i put my 14 ft vhull on and it gets hung up all the time, jonboats work great on the rum tho. i dont know if the rum could handle a lot of pressure

i sometimes just go down there to feel like i am in the middle of nowhere...i have previously posted exactly where i am on the river but dont know whether to do it again

Originally Posted By: Burnham
i sometimes just go down there to feel like i am in the middle of nowhere...i have previously posted exactly where i am on the river but dont know whether to do it again

Not only to keep people away, but for your own safety. Good call.

Tman! Yeah I klnow what you mean. Sometimes it is good just to listen to the silence and the stillness. One of my favorite spots is along the Rum. For a small river so close to a major metropolitan area it is surprizingly devoid of people. That's why I fish and camp along the Rum.

Your spots for fishing/camping must be beyond the range of my 16 ft Lund - never seen anyone camping and I don't recall seeing you guys on the water and I am generally there a lot - especially with high gas prices. On the other hand, I agree that you can feel very alone on the water there sometimes.

Saze Off! Funny! I don't recall you fishing either! If we had met I an sure you would have invited me aboard your boat for a cold frostee! Seriously, The weekend I did the trip I did not see any boat traffic on the stretch I used. I wondered about that because I thought the river was high enough for a small V-Hull or Jon boat? I did see some guys fishing from shore though! Didn't stop to say hi! Just waved and floated on by! What are you fishing for? Walleyes or Smallmouth!

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

UncleKes,

Yes, there are two landings South of Isanti. One is off Whiskey Road by the power sub-station, the other is within view of my deck at home.

The one in town is a MUCH better ramp with lauchable water MOST of the time, but you'll be on sand in a hurry from there during low water.

The one by my house is basically a sand washout with a parking lot. You can launch a small boat when the river is up, but forget it after that. A sand bar ends right there. We have gotten stuck with 4 wheel drive trucks to the point of hooking up two others to it to get out.

Low water = canoes or small drag boats there.

There can get to be quite a bit of pressure at times by our place.

The river is a great place to spend some unwind time, too bad theres so many hooligans around that I don't feel safe parking my rig overnight at any of the accesses between home and Princeton. We've launched upstream of Cambridge before and either arranged someone to bring our vehicle home (our pull out) or paid a nearby home owner to park our rig there for the weekend.

Not trying to scare people away, just stating the facts. Its a Disignated Scenic Riverway, so it can get rugged in more ways than one.

Good luck.

UK -

I'm pretty much confined to the waters from Anoka dam northward for about 4-5 miles at which point there are some boulders that I cannot motor through with the big motor and my trolling motor is not strong enough to carry me through. Actually since pretty much the whole dang river is no wake I tend to stay in the southern 1/2 of that range because it takes so blasted long to idle up so far....I don't think there is another launch ramp on the whole river that I could successfully use. Thought about trying the rough one at the County Park in Ramsey but don't think it would work and it would be a mess to get stuck in there.

With the projected cost of gas this summer I'm thinking I will be spending a great deal more time on the Rum than I would like since I only live 5 mins from teh Fairgrounds ramp.

Yes, if the access is easy, more parking, with a landing dock, I will DEFINITELY fish the RUM more... This is a great river to fish at ....

lake Off: I have not been to the County Park in Ramsey for a few years but as I recall the landing there is mostly for canoes or perhaps a jon boat. I seem to recall the river was not all that wide at the landing spot either? I may be wrong on this? But I personally would not want to launch my V-hull at that landing. I would think you would just be asking to eat up a prop.

Yeah, I agree. The 4 or 5 miles north of Anoka are probably the best for a V-Hull. Not to mention, the time of year will certainly affect the depth of the water. When I made my float tube trip there was a lot of water where I had to lift the tube and walk till I found deeper water. But there was enough (at least that time of year) to make it an enjoyable trip anyhow! I remember a lot of rocks and gravel bars that would really run your whole day if you hit one! Thats why I opted for a float tube? I wonder if one of those float boats they have out now would work as well?

• 1 month later...

Anyone been on the rum this spring using the Fairgrounds ramp? Water level looks quite low, but I need to get my boat out! ;\)

I don't think they have raised the water levels are the CR Dam yet. There are also some boards or something they put in at the Anoka Dam I think which probably aren't in yet either. Once they do both of those things the water level will come up.

What would you be fishing for?

Originally Posted By: lake Off
Thought about trying the rough one at the County Park in Ramsey but don't think it would work and it would be a mess to get stuck in there.

d aze, have you ever made it up to Central Park? I was thinking about trying to launch they this year when the water is up a little. I have a smaller boat than you do so it might be ok.

You say it's a rough landing? What does that mean? Is it just a dirt landing?

Originally Posted By: lotsofish
I don't think they have raised the water levels are the CR Dam yet. There are also some boards or something they put in at the Anoka Dam I think which probably aren't in yet either. Once they do both of those things the water level will come up.

What would you be fishing for?

Yep, I realize the water levels are low. I've already seen half a dozen trucks with empty boat trailers sitting there in the last couple weeks. Just wondering if any of them visit the FM forums......

Originally Posted By: EBass
What are they fishing for? Poor bass never get a break.

I have no idea. Just saw empty trailers sitting there so I figured they were putting the boats on the stream.

I just saw my first boat on the Rum yesterday as I crossed the Hwy 10 bridge. Looked like about a 12-14 ft ALumacraft and they appeared to be moving along the east bank pretty close in. They may not even have been fishing or they could have been trying to recover a bait that was stuck. No way to tell in the few seconds it took to blow across the bridge. Felt the urge to go down there and make sure they weren't fishing for smallies though.

Water level in the lower Rum is surprisingly high considering they won't think about putting the boards in for at least a few weeks yet unless they changed up and already put them in. Mississippi is running pretty high too.

To answer an earlier question - I have never made it much past the island with the narrower channel where the river bends sharply to the left. There is an area just north of there where boulders prevent me from getting through with the big motor and my 55# trolling motor is barely enought to hold the boat in place so advancing is out of the question. Sometimes it even gets dicey just getting that far. I've cut more than a few skeg lines in the sand.

I hope they get better at enforcing the no wake zone this year.