• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HEY Guts

Guts heading up over St. Patty's day weekend to fish with Rob from Frontier you going to be around? I have a few questions about lakers, hopeing to chase them for the first time ever.

Big Jeff, I fish lakers one to two times a week on the Canadian side. I use mostly tube jigs. Jigging with the vexilar and tipped with a chunk of cisco. I also put a tipup out and put the cisco right on the bottom. Of course you can use bait there. I fish David, Thompson and Lac La Croix mostly. La Croix has the biggest fish, Thompson second and then David. Davids fish average 2-6 lbs. Thompson about the same with the occasional 10. Lac has better numbers of larger fish. A few people have been fishing Makooda, but alot less this year with the new restrictions. I have heard of a few decent fish coming out of there, but nothing real big. Hope this might help you a bit.

Thanks Dock Boy, I think we are hitting David but not sure. Where do you live up there? Are you close to the Ash River? Thaks for the tips. Any colors you like and what kind of line do you use? Thanks again and good luck!

Big Jeff, sounds like Dock Boy has some solid advice, I'm not into the Laker thing, Robbie ought to have some advice or help as well. Expect decent weather this weekend, hope it holds up around St Pats.

Here on Kab the Finns will be celebrating St Urhos, use to be a real blast when Mingos Bar was open accross from the Community center, lots of purple beer. guts

Big Jeff, I live in Crane Lake in the winter and Kab during the summer. I have 6ib test on my David and Thompson rods and 10ib on my La Croix Rods. Just make sure you set your drag good. I usually put my drag tighter than usual because I have lost fish before because the drag was to loose. A Lake Trout is one of the strongest fish to pull out under the ice. I usually use Tube Jigs with a heavier Jig. White is the color I usually use. When Lake Trout fishing you have to have patients. I usually average 1-2 fish a day. Every once in a while I will have a 5 fish day, but that's a great day. David give up pretty good numbers, so you should catch some fish. Good luck

Thanks for the info, it sound like I will be fine with my heavier set ups, I have a couple medium rods with 6 and 8lb fire line. When you say tube jigs witch ones are you talking about? Do you have a particular brand? I have had great success on some Mega Mites with river Walleyes and even some good size crappie. I have plenty of buckshot spoons but I don't really have any buck tail jigs. An air plain jig or two but not really big ones. I would like to add may be two or three lures to my box that I can use on my limited Lakers fishing. Thanks again!