• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Auger issue

ENMIFDAD

Question

I have a Strike Master 10" Laser auger that I got via a trade about 8 years ago. I can't seem to get it to cut a decent hole. I always thought it was the blades, and after all the ice we have this year I decided to get new blades and put it to use. However it still has the same issue as when I first got it. It jumps around and makes a very choppy hole, not to mention takes forever. I can't seem to see anything that is bent, and the new blades went on perfectly. A heard of another person who has the same issue with the same model. Any ideas??? It's quite a workout on dad to drill 6 holes for me and my boys with my hand auger on a weekend!! crazy.gif

12 answers to this question

With the way that the curved blades are installed on this model, there is really only one way to put them on and they seat perfectly in position. I'm thinking something in the shaft is bent maybe? Any ideas how to test that?

I dont know if your auger has a center point, check your center point to see if it is still sharp. If all else fails go to strikemasters in Big Lake, they will fix you up.

i got the same problem with my 10" strikemaster lazer mag express...i have to press down dang near full force to get it to cut...if i just hold it there and let the auger do the work it will bounce around take an hour and a half to cut a hole.

i bought brand new blades and it helped only a little but not much...it's like my blades aren't making good contact with the ice..but if i press down real hard it cuts decent.

i don't think my shaft is bent either....the only thing i can think of is like what honda said about the center point...mine is dull and seems like it's angled wierd. i can't find any centerpoints where i get my blades so i haven't been able to check my theory. i'd imagine with a sharp center point it would keep the blades more flush against the ice and not be able to bounce so much.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

There really isn't anyway to test for bent mounts. If new blades are helping I'd suggest trying a new power point. You can get them at SM's site. If that doesn't help you could assume the mounts are out of alignment. Shims could be a simple fix. Give SM a call.

Thanks for all of your replies. Upon further review of the auger, it doesn't have a power/center point. It doesn't look like it ever has. (no mounting area) There is about a 1" space between blades. I would think it would need something there??? I guess I'll fire of an email to StrikeMaster. I'll let you know what I hear...

Easy fix for both of you guys...just bring them to SM in Big Lake and they will take care of you in a matter of minutes. Top notch service there!

Even if you don't live real close I would make the treck. It's worth it.

Thanks again for all your replies. Here is what Strikemaster said:

Thank you for your email. The power point was added in 2000 to the drill

units. You cannot add a power point onto your current drill unit. If you

would like to purchase a new drill unit for your powerhead you can do that

or you can try putting on a new set of blades if you haven't already and see

if that helps.

I guess I'll just order the new drill unit as the new blades didn't do much for me.

Thanks again everyone!!!

ok i got the scoop...i called strikemaster and talked to a lady that said the only problem it could be was the pitch was off or i needed new blades..i told her i just bought new blades awhile back and it hasn't cut right...so we both agreed it was probably the pitch.

she said the steel shaft has memory so eventually it would go back to where it was even after i get it adjusted...she said it could be 2 holes, 10 holes, 200 holes or even a couple thousand but eventually it would go back out of pitch.

she said only strikemaster or D-rock has the equipment to check out the pitch so i gave D-rock a call and he told me to come on up since it's only half the distance for me as big lake.

i asked the guy at D-rock how many shafts he fixes like this and he said about 15 a yr needs adjusting...he also said it's mainly all 10 inchers...he's only had to do a few 8 inchers and nothing under 8.

so i get there and we throw it up on the table and he takes out this little measuring thing that slides right on the bottom by the blades and he says well it's barely off...but he said even the smallest amount could make it act up. so we bent it a couple times and rechecked it until it was perfect...put the blades and centerpoint back on and asked me if i wanted to drive a couple miles down to a lake to make sure it works right since i almost drove an hour to get there...i said sure so off to the lake i went.

got to the lake and fired her up and guess what? it cut worse then before lol....so i brought it back and told him it is cutting worse then before we tried to fix it...we were puzzled for a second so i mentioned maybe my blades got worn down and dull or something since i have been cutting with them with the pitch off and having to apply so much pressure.

so he took a brand new pair off blades out of the package and put them on for me so i could go test it again out on the lake right down the road...after he got the blades on i said do you think my centerpoint could be causing problems too? so he grabbed me a new centerpoint and threw that on quick too...so off i went with my pitch fixed, new blades, and a new centerpoint...so if this doesn't work i'm pretty much screwed i'm thinking.

so i get out on the lake hoping for the best...fire her up in 1 pull and let her rip....she ripped through the ice just like she was brand new...i ended up cutting about 4-5 holes in a minute... i was stoked!

i went back to D-rocks and told him she's ripping through the ice like a champ....he wanted to know if i wanted to keep the blades and centerpoint he put on for me...and ofcourse i did.

we think it was a combination of the pitch being off, the blades getting worn and maybe even the centerpoint..i just know it wasn't blades alone cause this auger hasn't cut right even after i got the new blades...the centerpoint could of played a part in the problem too we aren't sure since we put the new blades and centerpoint on at the same time.

anyway....he hooked me up fat with new blades, new centerpoint, fixed my pitch, a 12" extension, and a full tank of gas for only $29....he even let me keep my old blades so now i got 3 pair lol.

if you got any auger problems get ahold of mike at d-rocks in new brighton...he'll set you up right...everyone there was nice and friendly actually...i'll be heading up there again if i ever have any issues thats forsure!

Now that is good service, and all at a great price. I remember hearing that the centerpoints have had burrs on them from the factory that hinder drilling, too. I took a pretty light hand file to my centerpoint immediately after buying it, and there was a burr off of both sides at the point. Some light filing is all it took to get it all taken care of. I NEVER push down on the auger when drilling, either. It just pulls itself down and cuts faster than any Jiffy I've fished with. (My 3 yr old 8" 2hp Lazer proved itself this weekend against both a 1 yr old 3hp Stealth and a new 3hp Stealth STX. The STX was outdrilled 1.5-to-1 and the Stealth was outdrilled 2-to-1! grin.gif)