• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Auger Problems

I have a Eskimo Stingray that is little more than a season only. It is starting but when you ingage to cut a hole it bogs down and dies. I have taken the carb off (not apart) and sprayed w/ carb cleaner (was crystal clean), cleaned and oiled air filter, (was not dirty)and checked the choke which in this model is just a paddle that covers the hole in carb. It acts like it's not getting any gas but if I choke it off almost completely it almost runs well.

Any ideas? If not I live in Bloomington and am not org. from here so a place to take it would be great. I have seen the place in New Brighton mentioned. Is there any place closer.

Thanks and good luck all.

Daveyred,

I bought an Eskimo Shark about 5 years ago. It always seemed to run a little balky until I took the cover off the carb/choke housing and tightened up the screw holding the choke paddle in place. I also discovered that the fuel line was pinched between the air filter and the carb intake. Since repositioning the fuel line and making the choke tighter so it would stay where I set it, the Shark has been purring like a kitty (until this AM when the main fuel line from the tank broke - Doh!)

Hope this helps

Zzapp

I had to tweak the mixture on mine - it was set pretty lean and turning it out just a bit really helped.

sounds like your not getting enough gas, the reason why choking it a little works, which just cuts off air supply.. if you have mixture screws on your carb try adjusting....just a little, screwing out will increase fuel, screwing in decreases fuel, one is probably idle mix, the other being your mid to high range mix. try backing one out when your auger is idling if it wants to die go back in so it idles good, then try the other one, back out a little and try giving some gas if it revs up try to hold wide open or as close to it as you can, while doing so adjust the high speed mix screw until it sounds good...A $3 SPARK PLUG IS ALSO A GOOD INVESTMENT AND STARTING POINT

Thank You. Drained all the gas and will try that also. Good advice and will let you all know. Thanks Red.

How old is the gas? If it is last years it probably has a lot of sediment in it which is clogging the intakes when you rev it up and thus the engine gets starved for gas. I always drain the gas in the tank after each use and use fresh gas. Also a good thing to have is a NEW spare spark plug in case the old one gets fouled. I learned that a spare spark plug is a good thing to have after I found out the hard way.

I was on a trip up to Winnebagosh 3 years ago with my new Strike Master and had old gas in it. The plug got so fouled it would not run and I spent an entire weekend looking for the proper plug in a small town? I almost drove to Duluth to find it! I wrecked a whole trip just to learn that lesson.

After that I vowed to ALWAYS use fresh gas and ALWAYS keep a spare spark plug in the glove box. Live and Learn!

Changing your gas each time you are out is a smart thing to do. You can always fill a gas can with the old gas and stick it in your car if it is not too old and full of sediment.

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

Another thing I had to do on mine was to slice the rubber vent in the gas cap a little deeper - there's a rubber nipple in there with a little slit in it and if it doesn't let air in (doesn't need much) you'll get a vacuum in the tank that keeps gas from leaving.

To test you can loosen the entire gas cap (it may leak while you're testing) and see if this modification is for you. It's listed somewhere on the Ardisam website.