• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big lakers in superior?

last summer i got a guided trip out on Lake Superior for lakers and my group and i got about 4 total. The biggest one was about 6LBs and the guide said that is the biggest he has seen in about 8 years. I could be wrong but what i remember him sayin is that sea lamprey kill off the lakers so most of them dont get the chance to grow and get big. Is this true or is there still big lakers in Superior?

Not sure who told you that info, but you either misunderstood the info or he has never fished the lake very much. There are plenty of big Lakers out there even with the sea lampreys that still harm those waters. Its not uncommon to catch Lakers well into the 15+ pound range especially in the heat of the summer with a few showing up in the 20+ pound range each year too.

I've caught good numbers of LS fish from shore in the 4 to 10 lb range, and I've been in the boat trolling when fish in the teens have been taken.

There are real monsters in the lake, too.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Lubey, that might have been some what true 25 years ago.

Lake Trout have been on the rebound for quite some time.

Some days 6 lbs would be on the small side.

I've fished on Lake Superior with Surface Tension for quite a few years now. I have spent nearly twenty five years fishing the big pond (wow, my mojo is getting old). I have personally seen fish up to fifteen pounds in the net. I have spoken to fishermen whom I trust whole heartidly and they have told me of lake trout close to,if not twenty pounds. They are in the water. Bigger ones like that are hard to come by, but it sometimes happens. I am in agreement with Frank, lake trout fishing has been getting better on this end of Lake Superior. More opportunities. Average fish might not be in the "monster" category, but they are there. I am in it for the beauty and respect of the lake. Bragging rights don't impress me. A meal of fresh fish here and there is what I appreciate. BC

Originally Posted By: Big Country
Bragging rights don't impress me. A meal of fresh fish here and there is what I appreciate. BC

Just right!

thats the reason i asked about it cause i thought it did sound a little false, thanks for the info guys

...Maybe don't do that. I'd love to be allowed to though! Just for one day! Lubey, what month of year did you go on your trip? We've had a few trips that our clients get four fish...everyone has had a bad day every now and then. But to guide on lake Superior and not land a fish over 6lbs for 8 years?! I'd like to believe that was miscommunication. Most charters don't make 8 trips without boxing a 6 lber. If you want another crack at a bigger laker look into taking another trip this coming august. I don't know if your guide is a friend or not but call around and talk to some captains. Ask them how often they go out and how long they've been in the business. A few phone conversations might be the only thing standing between you and a big laker. Experienced charters book fast in august because that is typically the best time to get big fish. There's a few 20+ pound fish to had out there!

Some wires had to be crossed in that conversation or they took you fishing in a boat harbor. Granted I only fish Isle Royale which is arguably the best trout fishing on the lake, but we consistantly catch fish in the 15-20# range and several 30-38# fish, throughout the season, (the largest fish caught have come in June) every year as well as some big fish in our nets in the fall. And we've had this success for over 15 years. I have seen an increase in lamprey in the past few years, but have not noticed any negative impact yet, although its not encouraging. Don't underestimate this lake, its huge and is home to lakers larger than any of us would expect.

Drive a little further and fish the north side of the Lake. Anywhere in Nipigon Bay from the town of Red Rock to Rossport especialy off the mouth of the Moffet Straits--fish are in shallow-10 to 15ft, until the first week of July or so. Troll with lots of line out--silver and green or silver and blu 2/5oz little Cleo's. We have had days in the middle of June where boating 30 fish was no problem. Lots between 10 and 20 and the odd one over 20. I like the ones about 6 lbs for eating.

Drive a little further north to Lake Nipigon and the local guys couldn't be bothered to walk across the street to look at a 30lber.

We caught and released a 15 pounder in my boat about 3 years ago, off the Amnicon. I saw a 26# lake trout brought in to the Knife River marina a few years ago, and my buddy caught one 25# off Silver Bay, two days before the contest three or four years ago. The SB contest winner last July was around 23 lbs. Was it last spring or the spring before that the prop on an ore boat hit one just behind the head and killed it in the Superior entry and some guys in a fishing boat following behind picked up and it weighed 35 lbs.? The story with photos was in the Western Lake Superior Trollers Assn. newsletter. There are lots of big lakers in the big lake. These examples are from all different locations, but if you really want to catch a big one in the shortest time possible, head out to Isle Royale in July or August. With good weather and several days of fishing, someone in your party should get one over 15 or 20 lbs, and if you're lucky, it might even be over 25 or 30. Several lakers over 40 have come from there in the last 20 years. Stannard Rock has monsters too, but that's a lot longer trip from Michigan.

Thanks for the Nipigon Bay report- I'd love to do that. Can you troll with two lines in Ontario waters, or is it only one? Legally, I mean.

Just wondering though why do the lakers up in nipigon get bigger on avg. than in lake superior??

No lampreys and less fishing pressure probably.

I could swear I remember reading an article in the paper about 10 years ago about someone catching a 60 pound plus laker off of isle royale, which had been the biggest laker to be caught out of superior by hook and line. Does anyone remember that or am I did I just dream that up? confused.gif

JB,

I believe that the laker you are remembering was caught out of L'Anse, Michigan, not Isle Royale. It was caught in '97 and weighed 61# 8 oz. So yes, I would say there are some "big" lakers in Superior grin.gifgrin.gif

In Nipigon Bay you are only allowed 1 line--usually 1 is all you can handle anyway.

No lamprey on Lake Nipigon but we've had smelt for the last 30 years. Very little commercial fishing done in the last few years and lakers were never targeted anyway. I saw 2 lakers years ago out of the same net--both wieghed in at 62 lbs. One was mounted and still hangs on the wall in the Beardmore Legion.

I fished with 2 guys who used to go to Stannard Rock--lots of 20lbs there--but it is a long way out. They fish Lake Nipigon now. If you want numbers of fish with the chance to catch a 20lber I would definatly fish Isle Royale or the Slate Islands.

By numbers I mean 10 to 20 fish boated per day.

If you want numbers of 20lbers with the chance at a 50lber I would fish Lake Nipigon. By numbers on Lake Nipigon I'm talking 3 or 4 fish per day.

The last few years have been pretty good to us even close to Duluth. from the pumphouse all the way to Silver Bay we allways seem to catch fish from 24-34 inches. the last trip was 11 fish and the largest at 33". I like the 4# ers to eat and smoke. I have only caught one fish with a lamprey attached but have seen marks on a couple other fish. How do they get off? who knows. I am going to start driving farther up the shore just to work some new water.

That lake is so big how could there not be a 60-70+ in there.

Yes, I remember that 61 lb 8 oz laker story, too. It was caught off Stannard Rock, but like kk said, it is a long boat ride off the Michigan UP to get there.

kkahmann,

Thanks for the info on Ontario reg's. and lake trout fishing. It's great to hear from the other side of the border; we usually don't hear much down here in Duluth about fishing in your area, and it's probably the best on the lake. I've been planning on fishing Lake Nipigon for years and still haven't gotten there. Your report sounds right on for what I've heard, too. A friend of mine went there two years ago. Four of them caught a total of four fish all day. His was 26 lbs and all four were in double figures. It's hard to catch one small enough to eat, they say. Definitely a trophy fishery. I hope to make it there again this summer. Do you know about the river trips out of Nipigon where people take jet boats to get up to deeper pools and catch walleyes with every cast? I'm thinking about buying a jet boat for a nice combo trip! Thanks again for the info. Hopefully, I'll make it up there this summer. The Slate Islands fishing sounds interesting, too. It would be fun to hook up when I come up. My email is [email protected], if you care to discuss further. Howard

tyeetanic--There's no walleye fishing on the Nipigon River. I know of 4 other rivers where, if you hit it right, you catch a walleye on every cast. I don't know of any rivers here where you need a jet boat. With gas at better than $4 a gallon I don't know many people who can afford to run a jet boat anyway.

For those people who have never been to Northwestern Ontario they get the idea that we have some kinda walleye monoply here. There are lots of places to catch walleye's but they tend to be small. Plus those places tend to be hard to get to. Our lakes here are not as productive as Minnesota and not nearly as well mapped plus our road system leaves a little bit to be desired. A fly-in fishing trip is a dream vacation for many people and for lots of different reasons. If I want to catch numbers of big walleye's I fish Minnesota.

Anyone with a decent boat and a chart can fish Nipigon Bay of Lake Superior--vhf radio is a good idea too. Nobody in his right mind is going to go running around Lake Nipigon without some local knowledge.