• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

night bowfishing?

bimbo

I think the closest lake near you would be in Wright County, Buffalo and Clearwater Lakes. There is about 40 lakes in the state.

Thanks for the info carpshooter. I just wish i hadnt looked at it. Nice to know that NONE of the lakes I shoot on are listed. Most have little to no one living on them. There are also no rivers listed. Way to go out on a limb DNR. What a bunch of worthless hacks.

Good luck to those of you who find a place to shoot. Guess I will save the money I was going to spend on lights.

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_guy
Nice to know that NONE of the lakes I shoot on are listed. Guess I will save the money I was going to spend on lights.

You are so close to Wis, go shoot over there.

The LLBA is hoping this first year goes well so in the future we can work with the DNR to open up new waters. Again if anyone is going to go out DO NOT fish anywhere near homes and cabins.

First off, I don’t live or fish in Wisconsin. I live and fish in Minnesota. To tell me to get over it and fish in another state is a way to really get me riled up. So now you get both barrels.

Second off, all of these groups like BAA and LLBA stand up and shout “HEY LOOK WE GOT NIGHT TIME BOWFISHING!!!!!!” Which gets everyone riled up, but then they say, “…don’t fish around cabins or homes though…” Well if those clowns took one look at the “list” of approved lakes they should have grown a pair and called “shenanigans”. And they should have called it immediately. Frankly I don’t give to shakes if this was just an attempt at getting a foot in the door to try to get it open further next year or the year after that. IMO these groups took the membership dues of their members and blew it on lobbyist that got the run around from the DNR and legislative committee, then came back and said “we got it, here is my bill.”

Third thing is this. The MN DNR and legislative committee knows exactly what they are doing. They chose the lakes they did for a reason, population. The lakes on this list are going to draw fishermen to them. Why, because guys want to shoot at night. The DNR is going to field enough complaints from homeowners, cabin owners, and lake associations to claim that the public doesn’t want it and they can take it back off the books later. If the DNR was willing to truly open the state or portions of it to nighttime bowfishing they would have looked at some of the smaller, less populated lakes that are much more prone to fishing success and not get complaints.

Let’s look at one example. The lake on this list that is closest to me is Pokegama in Pine County. The only part of the lake that is open is the main lake. The creek on the north end and the river on the south are closed. Those two areas historically are the best areas to target for shooting carp and dogfish. Why close those areas? There are no houses or cabins on those areas!!! The rest of the lake is very populated and receives a ton of recreational pressure both from anglers and non anglers alike. Therefore prone to receive complaints from home and cabin owners.

IMO the DNR could screw anything up. The legislative and citizens committee for the DNR is full of clowns who only care about making people feel good about themselves. (lowering limits so more people can say they know what they are doing) And these bowfishing groups that claim to have our interests in mind are just a bunch of cowards who will stand up and claim victory when the sad reality is they got done.

Firstly, the LLBA didn't spend money on lobbyists, the officers and members were the ones attending meetings.

Secondly, everyone is going to have favorite lakes they thought should or shouldn't have been on "the list". No matter what you do someone is going to complain.

Thirdly, if we pursued a legislative rule change that would have made this permanent it would have surely taken several more years to get it done, as has been the case in Wisconson. The decision was made to go this route and get it done now and hope things go well. Time will tell if that is the way to go or not.

Fourthly, I think somebody needs a nap!

Sorry to go off the way I did. I dont need a nap or anything like that. I just get very wound up when someone tells me to go and do something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I dont care that my favorite spots werent listed. I just feel that these groups got hosed and if they dont or cant see that than they cant see the forest for the trees. Do it right or dont do it. To do it the way they did they have set themselves up for failure.

Lets look at the numbers, 12,441 lakes in the state of MN. Take away the aprox. 300 trout lakes. You guys got 72.

That is .59% of the lakes in MN. You are trying to tell me and everyone else here that leaving 12,069 of the lakes in this state, and every river in it is a good start. It is a joke.

We all got snowballed on this one. And the sooner you guys and everyone else realizes it, the better we will all be.

Basicaly what you should be saying is, "nothing is beter than nothing"

Quote:
I just wish i hadnt looked at it.

You're not the only one ;\) Complaining isn't going to get any lakes added for you. Be happy with the 72 you've got and hope things go smoothly so it can grow in the future.

Originally Posted By: sparcebag
N guy when starting ya gotta take what ya can get! And a start is better than nothing.

Neighborly Guy Ha Ha Ha

I guess either you dont read or just one of those of the generation of I'm special! It has to be my way or I'll take my ball home.

sparce,

I read just fine and I am no different than anyone else. I just call it as I see it. Like I said before, do it right the first time or dont do it at all. That I can respect. Standing up praising an accomplishment that is nothing of the sort I can not.

All you have to do is look at it. We got NOTHING!!! It is a joke.

ps. It is hard to take your ball home when there is no game. Based on this list there is no game.

I also feel that we got hosed on lake selection. Why is it that you can shoot Minnewaska and not the chain of lakes in richmond. The closest lake to me is Little rock and you can't see anything in that even during the daytime. Otherwise we have Clearwater but that lake will be so overshoot by the time June 1 comes it won't be worth the trip. But not much we can do about except follow the rules and hope that in a couple years we can shoot statewide.

No we HAD NOTHING now there's a foot in the door,and we do have night bow fishin.I'm lucky there are 3-4 lakes within 6-8 miles of home,even though I wont go.I've done it in Texas.Its expensive,visibilty is really poor unless ya have a high platform with lights higher.the average boat will be a disappointment no mater how bright the lights.

Someone once told me there is a certain segment of the general population that are "C.A.V.E. men". That would be Citizens Against Virtually Everything. Sounds like the description fits here. The if I don't get it my way I'll go home and pout rant and rave is pretty rediculous. I'm a believer in if you want change and the ones who can grant that change are unwilling to go whole hog then why not try to work out a compromise and do the foot in the door approach. One can only hope that those that do partake in the newly created outdoor persuit do it lawfully and ethically so that the "Oh so evil DNR in some peoples eyes" won't have a reason to take it away but will embrace it even more and eventuall open the entire state to this activity.

How did they select these lakes? The two selected in Wright County are heavily populated with houses and cabins. The residents of Cedar Lake in Wright county are up in flames about the carp in the lake, why wasn't this lake selected. Seems like a good opportunity to clean some out.

haha yes i live on the lake and i sure would agree with ya there! cedar lake!

• 2 weeks later...

Neighbor_guy wow! I agree with you it is not the ideal opertunity but it is the oppertunity that the DNR is giving us so make the best of it for a year or two and it may develop into a statewide opening of lakes. If you can't try to avoid the cabins when out at night PLEASE do not screw it up for the rest of us! Because of the way it is set up with alot of populated lakes it is going to take a conscious effort on everybody's part to not offend any cabin owners. I promise you it is worth it, if you have ever shot at night you know what I mean. Also there was no lobbyists paid to sit at the capital it was members of the LLBA on there own time. The LLBA members have also made a large effort to contact many of the lake associations in their own areas to let them know what will be going on, so that hopefully there will not be any problems.

PS I don't care how big a pair you have your not going to tell the DNR how to do their job so with that said it is what they gave us to work with. It is up to us to make the most of it. You should check out the LLBA they have a new president and VP. Alot of things are happening and they ARE to thank for most of it.

It was the original board members who founded the LLBA who should be thanked for starting night fishing.

Carpshooter that is what I meant was the LLBA in general not the current P VP specifically, sorry about that. I do think that they have a good thing going though with the club.

Carpshooter are you aware of the LLBA site? They have revamped it check it out.

Carpshooter I like the new camo on your boat. Do I have the right person.

yes, the camo color is growing on me. It looks better outside then in my shop.