• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Remote lake portage

OPEN WATER QUESTION: I know you can't take live bait into these lakes (mukooda, Little Trout, etc.). I believe there also was a ban on portaging canoes or other craft for use on these lakes as well. Any info on this? Will that ban still be in effect?

My understanding is they will review year by year. I know there are boats to rent on Mukooda but not sure of Little Trout. Just for the record you can't take any live or dead bait into these lakes just artificial. We were wanting to take frozen minnows in there but called the ranger and they said no only artificial.

big timber, The present ruling is that you can't portage canoes or other craft into the interior lakes, but Neiko is correct they are expected to review the present ban each year.

I don't remember the name of the recently discovered virus that has a high mortality rate on fish, but as I have been told, there could be some pretty tough restictions coming in the future. guts

I recently passed a few e-mails back and forth with Chuck Remus (Namakan District LE Ranger - Voyageurs National Park) regarding this subject and how it pertained to little trout lake. Mr. Remus responeded as such -

FROM CHUCK REMUS -

I was passed your e-mail questions regarding the interior lakes in Voyageurs National Park and will do my best to answer all your questions.

1. After reviewing the program(last week) it was decided that the

regulations will stay the same for now, but that the issue will be looked at every year. The regulations will be artificial baits only and no private boats allowed on Interior Lakes. The bait issue has to do with not only Spiny Water fleas but also the VHS issue that is coming this way.

2. The boat that is stored in Little Trout is a government boat that is being used for a research project, and is available for Law Enforcement to use. This is not available for public use.

If you have any other questions feel free to call or write me,

Chuck Remus

Chuck Remus

Namakan District LE Ranger

Voyageurs National Park

Ph. 218-875-2116

Fax: 218-875-2114

I hope this helps.