• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chubby Darters

ontheice4eyes

I'm heading up to LOW this weekend and was just wondering if anyone has had much success up there on chubby darters. If anyone has any reccomendations on size and color I would appreciate it.

Thanks

just got back from lotw. i was at wigwam resort. on one rod i had a demon switching colors all the time. the walters wanted nothing to do with it. on my other line i used a angel eye in which i hammered em. so the rest of my group put them on and we did great. im telling angel eyes various colors but red is pretty premmo.

this time of yr i would bring some up.you my not get anythnig on them but you never know when the fish will turn on this time of yr.if the fish a very aggressive then you will catch some on the darter.i use the #4 gold and orange alot.the bright green and yellow #4 worked for me last weekend i only caught 3 fish on it tho.i would use tha t1 to bring the fish in.then drop down my buckshot.that seemed to work well.

I was up on Zipple last weekend, and tried the #4 gold just like 3815 mentioned above I had some chasers when I had it on, but thats all it was...They only wanted to look at the menu and not order!

the fish i did catch on the darted were saugers.the 3 that i caught were very aggressive.the eyes didnt want anything to do with it.they would just come up and look at it then go back down,till i dropped down my buckshot then is was game on.

I was out of zipple last weekend we caught most of our biggest fish on the 2" orange/gold with shinner head on front hook. The lookers that didnt hit it went to the dead stick, so i think it helped pull them in. The ones that did go for it just smashed it !! Nothin better than watchin the lines connect on the graph and feeling a BIG CHOMP!! good luck

Is tipping a chubby darter with bait necessary at all or will most fish take it either way? I'm stuck in a "must have live bait" mindset so it would take me awhile to not have to tip a chubby with something. From reading posts it looks like minnow heads is the popular bait to tip them with. Waxies or euros work with the smaller ones I take it?

i have tried to tip them with a minnow head but no bites.so just stick with out having baits on that lure.my buddy always tips his with a minnow head and has caught fish.so im guessing it works either way.

mnhunter, i dont know what # they are but they are 2" long. I have about 8 of these all the same size. We tried some different colors but orange/gold was best for us.

mnhunter where did you get your darters? Can you e-mail me the info? Thanks Peggy

IR fish patrol, little off topic but where did you fish with wigwam? Reefs? or past Pine? I'm heading up to Wigwam next week.

thanks

yeah hey i was out past pine about ten miles, but they do also have house about 25 miles out. From what i gathered they were doing alot better way out there then anyone we were. But my advice is keep it small for lures.

If you don't have them don't waste your money on them. If you have them bring them. If you want lures to catch fish on consistanly get JB rattlen varmits, angel eye jr spoons. In pink and white and glow red are my favorites. They will put more fish on the ice than a dater any day. They work it the fish are aggressive they will also work when they have a bite of lockjaw going one.

Hey guys thanks for all the help with whats working, I really appreciated it. I was taking my mom and girlfriend out for the day, they wanted to go up and visit the family so of course I suggested that we do some fishing. I tried the chubby darters but had more luck jigging with a gold angel eye and a red rattlin varmint, we had the best luck with gold fatboys and demons in gold, glow white and red for set lines. Ended up keeping 6 saugers and 3 walleyes that were nice fish, tossed back quite a few little guys but that was ok cause the action kept the ladies interested. Thanks for all the info from everyone.

I have to ask..... What the heck is a Chubby Darter???? A chubby lady that darts in and out of bars????

I don't know how well they work for Walleye's and Saugers because I haven't caught either with one yet. But I did catch a 8lb channel cat on one last night on the St. Croix river and wow what a fight.

I was at gander and watched the infomercial on them and grabbed two for Lake of the woods and then put them back. I was trying to get rattlin varmits instead and they were sold out. 7 bucks is steep for me for a lure. I did real good with angel eyes and jigs. Been watching this thread with interest to see but I am still not sold.

We used a Chubby Darter over the weekend for the first time ever, A smaller glow red I dont actully know the size but we wished we would have a couple of them... we caught alot of nice walleyes on them in 25fow fishing with Ballards.

Originally Posted By: eurolarva
Been watching this thread with interest to see but I am still not sold.

eurolarvae, scroll back thru a few months or better yet a few years worth of FM's LOTW threads and you'll find plenty more Chubby Darter posts, some are hilarious too. We've seen a few this winter already. Weigh what local fishers of LOTW who fish the pond often have to say about them, then the occasional tourist types, then the 'compensated endorsers'.....It will vary greatly! Try the search function maybe? Golly there was one 3 years back on the main ice page that I still laugh about.

fiskyknut