• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Don't get frustrated Chadwick. Or let me rephrase that and say don't get overly frustrated. I think everyone that has ever shore fished has had the "everyone in sight besides me is hooking a fish syndrome." I know people who have sat next to a group of guys with the same presentation of the same bait with the same line in the same spot that just can't buy a fish while the other guys are doing quite well. I met you down at the french last year and you seemed like you had a pretty good grasp of what was going on. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll come through sooner or later...and don't be afraid to bust out that flyrod every once in a while.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthothand

• JoshM

• DeathRoe

• Quickstrike

went out for a few hours today.

Did some flyfishing at the french for a while, then headed up to the sucker to throw some spoons. Didnt get a bite.

I need to get my 8wt out, The 7wt feels a bit to light for what im doing. especialy after throwing a 12wt for big game all last week.

Spent about 4 hours on Tuesday evening looking at bobber stay perfectly still on top of the water at the Lester. Not many people down there but didn't say anything landed or even hooked. Went again last night and only froze my waxies!!!!! Had the whole shore to myself but the fish don't seem to likie me anyways!! Stopped by Mcquade tonight just to look around. Talked to one guy who had caught one looper and seen a couple more. I watched a fish playing with his hook through the hole. I apologize if you are on here and didn't get him because of me!!! Thinking about heading down there in the AM and changing my luck!!! Hope everyone else is doing good!!!

Chadwick-

I'm in the same boat as you. I've logged, well, too many hours over 12 outings to the shore. Not a single looper. I don't know how much longer i can continue to get skunked.

My group pulled a looper off the lester right off the bat and we took off up further and got into a school of coho. Wound up getting in 3 or 4. I think it was 3. Wow I really can't remember. I need to sleep more. Anyways there were more on and hooked but they never made it to shore. We only were out til 9 then it was bed time. Also today I was the guy that couldn't buy a bite so yes everyone has their day. I did not have the hot hand today. Hopefully tmrw on the brule things go my way. I'll be reporting in the Wisconsin forum.

Got a couple of questions- coming to the shore monday and need advice. What is the preferred bait to use? Bobber with a looper bug with waxie or crawler? Nightcrawler blown up and fished off bottom ? Throwing spoons and other things like crank baits? Don't need to know where to fish cause if you don't put your bait in the water you won't catch fish. Just need some tips on presentation. Haven't fished the lake from shore but have fished the rivers some years ago.

I prefer a bobber/bug/waxie rig. If you do a search on looper fishing you will find many more answers to your questions. This subject gets brought up a lot. There's a bit more to it than just the bug and bobber if you want to better your odds. Favorable conditions, time management, line, rod, attentiveness, and the list goes on. If you have a few looper bugs try modifying them a bit to get different profiles. Think of how many off the shelf baits they swim past every day. Some times they want two rubber legs instead of four...sometimes no flashabou. A looper bug doesn't just have to be a bait. It can be a secret weapon.

Hey Guys, thinking about hitting the shore this weekend. Are the fish running up stream yet or are they mostly out of the mouths?

Haven't fished the shore for a number of years now but would like to give it another try as I have moved closer to the area.

Any info would help greatly. Thanks and good luck to all.

If they are running, you wouldn't be able to tell........still a lot of ice on the rivers. The DNR station at the French has a few fish in it, so the early ones may be heading up, but the water needs to warm up a few degrees to really turn them on. With the snow forcasted tonight and then warm temps. towards the end of the week, things will look different come this weekend.

Lots of people fishing from shore, the lake never froze for more than a day.

I was fishing at the french yesterday and there was no ice and no fish either for that matter

Has anyone fished the pier in duluth for coho yet? I was wondering if they unlocked the gates yet?

How is the Brule/Frence/Lester looking as far as opening up anytime soon. We aren't having any progress up this way yet. WHERE'S THE RAIN

They are fishing off the duluth lift bridge pier. Water was still flowing over the ice of the Lester yesterday.

On the way down the shore from work today, the Stewart, Silver Creek & the Knife were 90% open. Gushing pretty good with just a bit of ice still in there.

That's interesting. I hiked about 4 miles up and down the knife and sucker yesterday and they still had a lot of anchor ice. Didn't look like they'd be opening up for a while, especially if the temps are going to only be 30s next week - 20s at night.

Yeah it looked like they were flowing pretty decently, but the water was on top of the ice. The Knife was breaking up as well as the lester, but the rest of em looked pretty locked up still.

I don't mind, I love when the run peaks right around walleye opener.

What does everyone think this rain will do for the fishing tomorrow?