• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey tom while your up there start picking away at the ice in knife marina. Should be easy from the lake to shore.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthothand

• JoshM

• DeathRoe

• Quickstrike

Gary, This will not work you will have to wait just like the rest of us. But the Boat is ready to go it took me all day today and four pulls latter we where running should get out this week.

Bump.

Went only as far as the french this morning and there was skim ice all along the shore. It was slowly breaking up and blowing up the shore by 8 but I didn't bother by then. Had to get home to bed so I could get some shut eye before work. It'll be better tmrw. Anyone else been out??? I'm gonna give er heck this week then hanging up the shore rod. I have an appointment with the brule on saturday.

Went and took a look today (lester, mcquade and fench), not a lot going on with all the broken skim ice being pushed up to shore. A few guys were at it, but I didn't see and catching. About a dozen healthy looking fish in the French. It wont be long now, but I'm with you Matt, I'll see ya on the Brule.

Fished the shore on Sunday. Managed 1 tiny looper on a Lunar Grub and a waxie. Consider the shore rods hung, and hopefully i'll see none of you on the Brule. grin.gifgrin.gif

fished the shore sunday and ended up landing 10 loopers 3 coho and 2 tagged steelies between 2 of us. Not joking! I wish the hatchery was open I would have a 100$ in my pocket. Took some nice pictures and let em go .We only seen a few people all day. Very tough fishing conditions. Well worth it!

You must've been at sucker bay, right? I woulda saved those tagged fish and made some calls to get someone down there with my cash. Let's see your pics!

I think he was in the lower pool at the French. blush.gif

Also, in no way does the DNR have to get those fish right away. Keep em on ice till the next day. They just want the whole fish and unfrozen. And the coin isn't immediate. You must be "set up" as a DNR vendor, or something like that, and you will get a state issued check in a few weeks.

Just make sure if you keep one its the right kind of tag...steelhead also have yellow numbered tags if they have been captured at the french...those are not reward tags. It might cost you money if you bring one of those in. I believe the reward fish have double tags.

When we were done fishing we took a ride down to the french to read the sign about tagged fish and indeed both of the fish were the money fish. The money would of been nice but nothing like seeing them beautiful fish swim away for another day.I wish I knew how to post pictures.Is it just me or does it seem like the crowds of people along the shore are not like it was even 5 or 6 years ago. good luck to every body. By the way I was not at the french.

Nice Fish! Sounds like you guys had a great day out there. I think I might give steelhead another shot this year, no luck last year wading the rivers but it was still a good time.

Originally Posted By: JoshM
6000 reviews and only 100 replies on this topic WOW!

Yes, lurking has become a popular internet board past-time. Isn't that amazing? Say, Josh, how long were the money fish?

Death, i never did measure I wanted to get her back in as soon as I could. we did catch alot of smaller loopers on this trip 6 of them were around 20-22 inches. good eaters.

Josh that is one pretty fish. it makes you feel good to let them go even when you dont have to. I got a fin clipped the other year and i put her back. I just could not think of keeping her!

On Tuesday I met up with BD110 on the shore at the Lester and we double teamed some trout. BD started it off with a nice steelie that I should've taken a picture of (sorry Tom!). Shortly after landing his steel I swung and missed bringing my losing streak to a staggering 7 misses in a row (when combined with previous outing). I stared down my bobber and soon it sunk again and it was game on. Tom made a stunning net job on my buck looper. I reset the trap and seconds after landing in the frigid gitche gumee my bobber sunk again! I immediately announced that I was hooked up and looked over at Mr. Hollywood on his cell phone. He looked back in disbelief. That fish met the same fate as the first. After working all night and staying up to chase loopers I was thinking about leaving soon to take a nap before heading back to work. I gave myself another 45 minutes. Before the timer went off I surfed another kamloop to shore. I ignored my watch and threw out again and again hooked up. This wiley looper came unbuttoned feet from BD110's net. It was then that a man out for a walk stopped for a peak at my black beauties and remarked, "Looks like you've got a HOT HAND." I should've told him that was my name but smiled instead. I decided enough was enough and headed home to clean fish and sleep for an hour before work. Shortly after I left, BD scored on another dandy steelhead. There was limited pressure by other anglers but the shore was alive with other various outdoor enthusiasts. We met up again the following day and came up empty handed. I did get to land a solid steelhead for another friend around 9 o'clock. After close to two more fishless hours we gave it the fork and went home. Someone from the paper snapped a shot of BD110 and myself during the brief snow squall and put it up on the online tribune. I got all my bites on the "Bruiser Bug" and Tom got bit on black. Those baits were worthless on Wednesday though. Either that or us. Below is my looper limit. All bucks... for those keeping track. I didn't get pics of BD110's steel but just picture him and then while you're doing that picture a steelhead. That's pretty much what it looked like.

1000319lz0.jpg

Nice job Matt! I knew I should have stopped when I saw you guys down there grin.gif

Wow, crazy!!! Very nice fish Matt. I sure hope luck shines on me when I come at the end of April and I can be holding fish like that. Very nice! I am so excited for spring run!!

Schurmo

Man, I need to find some one to show me the loops. I feel like Im doing everything right, but I just havent been able to produce fish.

Originally Posted By: chadwick
Man, I need to find some one to show me the loops. I feel like Im doing everything right, but I just havent been able to produce fish.

Welcome to the club. I don't know how many hours i've logged with squat. A few incidental fish on spoons, and that's been about the extent of my shore success. I sure don't think i'm doing much wrong. Also, I know that during the creel survey last year it was 16 angler hours per clipped fish. Well, i know i've put in more than that. It's just people like Matthothand that are evening out my horrible stats. \:\( I just need the dang things to get in a river. Then they just can't help themselves, i'm Deathroe!!!

I know this might not be the place to post but I figure someone would know, I'm thinking of going to the Brule opener, heard from someone there was a lot of ice. If its too restricted becuase of ice I think I will pass on the trip. Id like to wander the river and find some space away from the crowds.

Anyone know the ice report on the Brule??!

Check the Brule River Sportsmen's Club Web site or the WI Fly Fishing site and look for Brad Bohen's posts. He has the scoop on the river, usually.

According to Brad and Illtakewhaticanget the river was locked up from below the ledges down to the mouth as of two days ago.