• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Reddoor report?

budboy

Does anyone have any report on perch in the Reddoor area? Thinking about going in that area this weekend, any help would be great.

ive got my perm out of the red door, and ive actually gotten some pretty nice perch a couple over a pound fishing the break line to the left of their road in abotu 25FOW

They have been getting a few to bite in 22 to 28 fow from red door to myr mar. Small spoon and a minnow head upsidedown. Good luck!!

Was up at Red Door Friday with my 3 1/2 yr old grandson on his very first fishing trip ever with grampa on his birthday. Got a 14" monster perch on his new sponge bob fishing pole...unreal. Saw many large groups of jumbos which would only sniff baits and swim on. One took a small minnow on a gold gem-n-eye and the rest were on "fresh water" shrimp {Vados had them}. Bellys were full of them and other critters. Pat is a sweetheart up there. Good luck.

My buddy and i sucked it up and braved the elements and went out yesterday mourning. Set up about 830 Between red door and barnacles. Dropped my jigging spoon down and it didn't even hit bottom and we had a nice 13" perch. Lets just say that was the highlight of the day. We ended with 4 keepers around 10". My buddy lost something bigger on a tip-up but that was it. With the temp. barely getting above 0 I can wait to see how they will bite when its nice out.

I'll be up with my friend in his permenant this weekend. He's on the breakline just west of the Red Door.

Hope the perch are biting this weekend we will be up at reddoor keep the reports coming in!! Also were can i get some of those fresh water shrimp? Thanks!

Our house is/has been out of Red Door the whole winter. We have been up almost every weekend, including the last two with bad weather. Had the camera down, nothing but small perch. Did get one eelpout about 6 pounds. No perch takers, didnt' even see any jumbo's, just small ones. We moved it to the east of their road-that's where they were biting two weeks ago, not the case now. Or at least it wasn't for us. I'm heading back up Thurs eve-Sat. am. I may be lake hopping if it is slow again. Hopefully next years ice bite is better.

Returned late last nite after what i thought was going to be a up and back trip within the same day!!! Needless to say that wasnt the case! Headed out to the rocket, and omg was there snow out there! Farther out we got the deeper it got! I knew full well before i decided to go out that far that there wasnt gunna be any roads, but man what a pain in the arse it was getn out there! If it had not been for chains on my 3/4 ton and the help of my buddy with his truck with 35's I prolly still wouldnt be here writing this now! After the wind picked up sunday nite, it blew our path shut! Finally got ahold of the chains yesterday and started the trek back to shore with the houses. Made it to the resort road around 6:30 finally and headed home. Oh ya and the fishin, well needless to say there all still swimming out there minus one stinkin pout! Terrible fishin, the worst i've seen in my years on Mille Lacs!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        
    • smurfy
      got mine done........for the cabin.....ready for summer festivities!!!!!!   there was still frost in the ground...........but good gawd are the lakes low!!!!!
    • CigarGuy
      Just 1, 50" muskie🫣

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.