• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Predictions for Sarah/Shetek opener

I know Sarah is a hit or miss on opener. Last year we did very well, and I know there is no correct answer, just thought it would be fun to hear from others. I've had enough of this cold, and while I love the hard water I got opener fever already.

If the weather is 30 degrees or above and the wind is 50 mph or less I predict there will be at least 100 boats on Sarah and at least 80 or more on Round lake. Wouldn't have a clue whether the fish will be biting though.

Sarah and Round will be a circus, that's for sure. Shetek will be busy, but not nearly the mess of boats that will be on Round and Sarah.

As far as the bite??? Yeah, sure, it will either be good, bad, ugly, great, so-so, out of this world, or non-existant.

As for me, if I'm fishing the opener, I'll be on one of the lesser fished lakes and avoid Shetek, Sarah, and Round for a while.

Wind, Cold, or Calm and Warm... Does it matter, as long as I have a pole and a plug in my hand, I am havin a blast! Over the last 5 years, on opener, from Sarah, to Round, to Okabena, we have always managed to catch a few!!! Only a few months away. On our small lakes, you almost have to expect traffic, but I have never really had too many problems. Biggest being the landing issues with loading in the wind on those gusty years.

I have fished sarah the last 5 openers. Always have caught walleyes on the opener. Last year was great with a limit by 12pm. A #5 shad rap is killer on this lake(chartuese or clown).

Also floating jig heads with a leech works well on the opener.

Brian, I will vote the same on most any of our lakes with the good ole #5 Shad Rap!!! I have multiple because they work work work on Sarah, Okabena, Round, Shetek, Talcot, East and West. Nothing better in a mud bowl than that plug!!!! What seems to effect it the most is speed, and line distance.

How about you Brian, do you run plainer boards or no??? I would say I fish about 80%no 20%yes. They really help when you have a boat full and also if you are really getting crowded in. Give a guy a little distance people. We don't need much, but come on I have had people have to drop rods to maybe push off they get so close. That is rediculous!

Brian, don't underestimate the power of a crawdad (dull orange) #5, until right now, was secretly my favorite color. Hard to pass up on a clown or firetiger, or perch, but I have multiple of the crawdad.

I have fished all the above mentioned waters all my life. They can be gold rush or gold bust!! Muc how is it we have never bumped into eachother?? Seems we are on the same water a lot!!

There is a real good chance we have all bumped into each other, and just didn't know it.

There have been past openers when the weather felt like we should still be on ice. If the lakes keep building ice I may have to try to get an extension who would have thought of that around here?

I usually do pretty good on shetek opening weekend. Most of the time we start out pulling #5 shallow shads & if we cant make em bite that way, we drift with crawlers. One of those options usually does the trick.

Not sure who you are, maybe we have met????? Where are you from?

And as far as opener goes, I can't remember the last opener I was skunked? So I consider that a GOLD RUSH 100% of the time. (I just knocked on wood)

Chad,

I don't use planer boards that often. I have the crawdad color you are talking about. Firetiger is good also. On Sarah the Chatuese/Silver is my favorite.

The wonderful thing about Lake Sarah is the walleyes are all naturally reproduced. The state has not stock the lake since 1991. Which is had to believe in the Mud Bottom South.