• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's our time on 'Tonka!

united jigsticker

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• schr0563

• markkstanley

Tackleman,

Were they biting light for you also? They sure were for me last night. I switched to a stinger hook and that helped. This warmer weather should make them more aggressive (I hope).

Good luck!

TonkaBoy - they weren't hammering it that's for sure. Kind of sucking on it and hanging on. I just drop the rod tip back a hair when I feel weight and then set. I also took a file to the VMC hook for good measure. Those teeth and hard mouths do dull those hooks after a while.

Walleye29 - I fish mainly Musky but have a few haunts on Tonka when I need some fish. I can tell you I was central portion of the lake and that you should look for saddles between shore structure and off shore reefs that have depths that vary down to 30 feet or so. Look at a map and check out a few spots that resemble this and slowly troll or drift the different depths until you contact fish. If you don't, move, cuz they're not there. Sounds simple and not specific to a spot, but I can't give up specific spots, worked way too hard to find them! But I sure will try to help you find your own spots, and these are my recommendations. One last thinig, the Blue jig made a difference, ask my buddy who switched after I had him down 6 to 1 :-)

I like the location of the Spring Park access on Tonka and would like to launch out of there this Sunday evening. I realize there is limited parking space for rigs, and would like to know if there could be a parking problem-you know, like nowhere to park my rig. Can anyone help me out here? Calvinist

Kept 6 last night - out from 4:45 to 7:00. Blue half face jig and fathead in 25 feet, until right before dark they were up to 21-22 feet. Mid lake stuff. Released 3 fish over 21" and many 12-13 inchers. Beautiful night.

Could I get some help with areas to fish walleyes tonight, have minnows and jigs just no idea were to go. Any info would help. Thanks!

CALVINIST

There is an overflow lot a block or so to the east on the north side of the road. The county maintenance shop lets poeple park in their lot.

We got on Tonka at 6:30 this morning.

Had a good Buzz bait bite going for Bass until 8:30. Picked up more sitting in deep water and tossing spinners onto humps.

The Bass have the feed bad on.

Jo

It was a little slower this morning. Bite on Bass didn't pickup up until 8:30.

One here, one there. It wasn't fast but what we caught were quality fish which hit hard in deeper water.

Destroyed a perfectly good Gold Bladed spinner on a 8 lb Northern. Wink, Wink, Hint, Hint.....

Jo

Blue seems to be the color the eyes like. I've had good luck with the #11 blue floating rapala (with a large split shot 20" up the leader). Other colors don't produce like the blue on top and silver on the bottom. Kirbys Bait is out of these and I'm looking for more. Any help?
Thanks,
Dave

I launched at the Spring Park access on Sunday evening without a problem. Didn't even have to park in overflow, which surprised me. Paperlipz and Tonkabach thanks for supplying parking info. I caught a 20" waldog on jig and minnow off one of the islands in about 25 feet of water; had more bites but didn't connect. Tonka Boy, when you use a stinger hook, how do you connect it to your jig; do you use the tag end of the line or what?
Calvinist

Calvinist,

I use Fireball jigs by Northland tackle. They have an extra hole on the back side of the jig to tie a stinger onto. I'll pretie the stinger to a 4-5" piece of line. Then attach to jig. It should be just long enough to hook into the tail of your minnow.

Congrats on the walter! It sounds like you're starting to get a feel for Tonka.

------------------
Tonka Boy

Not that I want to admit it, but I haven't even picked up my muskie gear in 3 weeks! I've just been too busy.

Normally I'll fish for them up until hard water. I've got my side project done now (ice house), so from here on out I'll be chucking wood. Good luck to you.

Have a question about the fall muskie action on Tonka - Should I be throwing a bucktail, jerkbait, or crankbait? And if I want to troll, should I go with a bucktail or crank? I've got all of the lures, I just don't know which one I should be throwing.

calvinist - When needing a stinger, which isn't too often I've found personally with a jig & minnow presentation, I simply tie one on to the shank of the jig. There are some manufactured ones on the market, but this works as well. You can use a little heavier Lb test if you feel the need for more confidence in it's strength. If in depths without significant weed growth (Rock's, sand, etc) you can tie on a treble hook Vs. a single, but that is not usually necessary. A single stinger should suffice.

FYI - I'll be out there Wednesday evening. If you see a forest green dual console Ranger with a Merc 150 flag me down and I'll give you some REAL jigs!

[This message has been edited by Tackleman (edited 10-21-2003).]

wink.gif Thanks for the tip, Tonka Boy and Tackleman. I certainly am getting a feel for the Tonka-it is an awesome lake to solve. I can't wait till I land a real pig! Say T.B. are you still fishing for ski's this time of year or are you focused mainly on eyes?
><>
Calvinist

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 10-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 10-21-2003).]

I like jerkbaits myself. I've had good success with dark colored Suicks in the past. If I were to troll I'd opt for a large crank.

Bucktails have their time and place. I know others that have luck with them all season long. Personally I see the bucktail bite drop off after mid-summer. Maybe it's just me...

Don't forget surface lures either. Although they aren't quite as productive this late in the season, they will raise a fish occasionally.

Cool story. They say that when you are trolling at higher speeds (4 and up) that it is more of a collision with the lure rather than a strike.

Thanks Tonka Boy, I'll keep throwing my Suick. And I might try dragging a 10" Jake around for awhile when my arm gets tired from casting. And if neither of these work, then there are always walleyes to be caught!

If you want to troll for muskies try a big spinnerbait with tandem willow blades at least 2oz. Sometimes I tip them with large suckers. Troll at 3 to 4 mph on the weed edges. White has worked the best. Also have had good luck with Jakes and Ernies - either silver or orange depending on which bay you're fishing. Even trolled a bucktail in back of a egg sinker to get some depth a few times and that worked. I've thought about rolling suicks. It ought to work. Maybe even a Hawg Wobbler at slow speed on top of the flats

The one time I tried a big ski ate half of it. No kidding! There was a violent swirl on my lure. When I got it back there was only 2" remaining (broken at the front hooks). To this day that is the only muskie lure I've ever been able to retire.

Haven't tried since...

Wow, went out this evening reluctantly, assuming that the weather was not favorable for a strong bite. After trolling plugs for muskies without any action we switched to walleyes. That's when we managed to land three 17's, four 23's, and a 29. It was definitely the most consistent action involving quality fish that we've seen in a long time. Boy was I wrong about the weather!

And by the way, the big girl was released.

Has anyone ever had any luck shore fishing (or by boat)the rip-rap shoreline in downtown Wayzata next to the railroad tracks? I gave it a shot tonight throwing cranks because it looks fishy-unfortunately, no luck. However, I find it hard to believe that walters don't come up into the shallows at night. Also, I noticed that fishing rip-rap is really hard on the last two feet of line when cranking (not to mention murder on lures; I lost a Husky Jerk and destroyed a Reef Runner frown.gif)Perhaps a lighted slip-bobber would be a better presentation fishing from shore, which breaks pretty sharply about 20 to 30 feet out. What do you boys think? If you don't want to advertise, but still want to clue me it, you can contact me by e-mail.
<><
[email protected]
><>
Calvinist