• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Carp-fisher

Mad River Canoes?

Carp-fisher

Hi all,

Any opinions on Mad River canoes? I'm looking at purchasing a canoe mainly to fish rivers like the Minnesota, St. Croix, Cannon, etc. I've found a used Mad River canoe model Adventure 14. See the specs here:

http://madrivercanoe.com/adventure-14

I also do have the option of getting a plain old reliable 14' Alumacraft. But the padded seats, cupholders, and relative light weight of the Mad River canoe seems pretty attractive. I wonder how they handle in rivers... Any opinions?

Thanks, Ben

Randyjr.

My buddy has a Mad River. I have an Alumacraft. The Mad River tracks well in wind, is incredibly comfortable, easy to fish from with one or two people and does well in windy or choppy conditions onn the lake. However, the canoe is not built for anything higher than grade 2 rapids, and will split or hole if it hits rocks hard. The 14' is not much for extended trips, if that's an issue. It is not a performane canoe, but is great for something like lakes, ponds, and cruising rivers like the Cannon. We take his canoe on the Cannon River and the Alumacraft when we know we are going to be scraping bottom like one of the lesser branches of the Zumbro. In addition if there is a lot of overhanging brush or trees, be aware that the Mad River can get tippy if your leaning to one side. We take his sometimes and mine the other, depending on the trip.

Carp-fisher

Hey Thanks Randy. I'll give it some more thought. The Mad River canoe almost looks like a 2 person kayak. Hope you didn't learn the tippiness of the canoe from experience.

Se Mn FishSlayer

hey carp-fisher i build and own a river ridge custom canoe and i think they are the ultimate river canoe you should check them out.thay are pretty light very stable and handle well.

Quetico

After working in outdoor retail for far too long selling canoes here's my 2 cents.

If you want a boat for river fishing a river ridge custom canoe can not be beat. They are clearly the best boats for river fishing. They are designed and built by people who fish southeastern MN rivers like you have named.

But if you want a Mad River, they are just like any other Old Town. Go with an Old Town over Mad River, better boats all around.

Chode2235

If you're looking for a canoe/kayak hybrid take a look at the native Watercraft Ultimate series of boats. They're designed to be stood up in for fishing, paddle well, and there are a couple reviews out there of people river fishing with them (scraping them over rocks etc).

They're like canoes, but also like a kayak. The seats in them come out, and you can set it up as a solo craft too. Look into them at least.

ultimate14_product.jpg

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• J.D.
      Could we still put a boat in somewhere?
    • mrpike1973
      I will check out Pearl this weekend I can only hope Arvilla by Dassel 2 inches ice but the weather not to favorable
    • Wanderer
      I started a thread on HSO too but might get a little more input here?     Anyone got plans for the season?  Anything new or anyplace new you’ve been waiting to try?   Well, I finally practiced with the Blackhorn and 209As.  Seems like the combo lives up to its reputation.     Only question now is: Will I use it this season???  Seems like a dumb question but I’m not feeling short on venison and have been hunting every weekend since September 22nd, ‘cept last weekend.  Felt kinda good sleepin’ in for a change.    The SIL might have some private ground for us to try so that could play into the motivation factor big time.   So, yeah, I guess that’s 2 new potential things to look forward to.
    • fish_time
      Grab a Kleenex. 😢Its the bitter sweet end of summer. Its time to put the boat away as ice fishing season approaches. I'm joined by James and Joel and get a great interview from both of them. I think they are ready for ice fishing! Get outdoors and enjoy it with the ones you love the most. Be AWESOME everyone.
    • Troy Smutka
      11/11/18     Winter rolled in early last week. Lots of ducks blew through central MN during the week with the small water freezing up. We got in a good hunt on a large, shallow central MN lake as the migration was happening. Many of the larger lakes in central MN froze up with the single digit lows Saturday morning. We broke some ice at the landing of a large, deep lake and boated through some ice to get out to the otherwise open lake to hunt a main lake point. My son, Dad, and I managed five ducks, though we mostly saw swans, common mergansers, goldeneyes, and buffleheads. My son wanted one nice drake bufflehead, so we took that as our fifth duck. Not sure if any water is going to be open after another night in single digits this upcoming week, but we will check it out this weekend. If not, we will be onto field hunting as a lot of mallards and geese hang out on a river in the area we hunt. Good luck, be safe, stay warm, and I will see you out there somewhere.  
      How about a good old fashioned polaroid camera to populate your board? 
      https://hotspotoutdoors.com/forums/topic/182471-such-a-tease/
    • Fishing Frenzy
      Update: Grand Lake is froze over as far as I could tell. Someone walked out and drilled a couple holes on Pearl. Did not go out and look how much ice. And Goodner is completely froze there was also a hole made with a chisel. Saw the block of ice on top of the ice. (Looked to me from shore to be 3-4 inch thick, don’t take my word it’s just a guess from what I saw.)
    • dave79
      Has anyone ever fished these lake? Tamarack..Grace..etc.  DNR site looks decent for these, but I heard that some of those lakes out there get some “unexpected” visitors? Trible controlled areas?   Just curious on access of these and whatever other info anyone has.     Thank you
    • AlwaysFishing23
      I wish we didn’t have the warmer temps forecasted for the next week or so. If it was like it’s been the last few days with at night a few degrees below zero and in the low 20s during the day. But nope it’ll be sometime Before even the smaller bodies of water are “safe”. I really wanted to get out this Saturday but looks like that won’t happen. But maybe the saterday after thanksgiving I’m hoping may work out. I hate this time of year having to wait but that’s how it goes!