• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

'85 evinrude problems

hotlips13

Question

i have a '85 Evinrude tiller, when i try to speed up, the motor starts to sputter and then dies or it just dies without sputtering. this happens whether or not the motor is warm or hasn't been used for a week. it usually doesn't have a problem with idling but as soon as i put it into forward and try to speed up, it dies. also, if i idle it high and then put it into forward, it usually doesn't die. any thoughts would be appreciated. also, i put new spark plugs in it last year and it still happened. i know its time or a tune up but any fixes that i could do on my own would be great on the wallet.

good things

5 answers to this question

First thing first is do a compression check, if all turns up good, you will probably have to rebuild your carburetor(s).

If you are a little mechanically inclined it's not too difficult at all, the kit is inexpensive.

thx Valv...i'm outboard challenged so i'm not quite sure how to do a compression check..if its not to difficult could you explain it or is it too in depth. also, i'm assuming one can buy a kit at any boat store or a Gander Mountain/Cabelas store

You will have a hard time finding a carb kit for a outboard motor at gander or cabela's. Check online or go to a dealer.

marine_man

Valv, Marineman...thanks for the advice, hopefully it doesn't turn into a big fix-er up-er, because i won't do it, and when its done it runs like a champ this year.

good talk