• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

any reports?

bigdaddy1968

bite was very good I thought. We did much better in close in 8 feet of water than further out. Most of the guys we talked to when we fished farther were not doing as well which is why we moved in close. The fish were very aggressive saturday night by shore. Between my buddy and I and the women, we caught about 50 walleyes (no crappies) saturday afternoon/evening alone. hope this helps!!

Rocky,

What side did you og out of?

Oops just saw your report in another topic that said you were on the south side. Thanks for your report.

i was one of the guys who was farther out and little slow 3 walleyes no craps. 6.5 miles out on the north side. heard they were catching some crappies 4.5 miles out but didn't actually see them.

My report for the weekend of fishing Feb. 15 and 16:

We fished out of one of Kelly and Jon’s houses and the fishing was slow, we ended up with 9 walleyes, 2 crappies, and 1 northern for the weekend. Of the 9 walleyes, only one was in the slot, 4 were keepers and the rest were dinks. One was caught on a rattle reel and the rest by jigging, no pattern on color because we were trying lots of different colors and presentations. The crappies came early on Sat within an hour of each other on bobber rods. Nice to see a couple of those big bad boys, it brings back lots of memories of the crappie boom!!

The northern was fun, got a hit on a rattle reel late in the afternoon Sat , of course he went around another pole and the fake weeds I had down so we got to pull everything up thru one hole and sort thru the mess. Best of all he was under the slot and we were able to take him home, my folks had requested before we left “it sure would be nice to have a northern for pickles”.

In past trips we had luck by drilling a circle of holes out about 75 yards and back and then hole hopping at prime time but that only produced one fish for us.

Bizarre weather, on the drive up the temp was falling from – 8 to -10 to – 14 and beyond, on Sat it warmed up enough so it was melting off the roof of the shack and on Sunday we ran into high wind/drifting snow making for some slippery roads past Long Prairie.

Got to see a beautiful sunrise on Sat morning while my slug brother was sleeping!!!!

Entertaining on Sat watching Kelly and Jon move a couple of houses, jacking up, unbanking, JERKING the heck out of them, it made my neck hurt, and then seeing the move to a new spot, more banking – it made me appreciate the work they do!!!

Got to meet Labs4me for the first time, nice to put a face to a name!!!

Overall we had a fun trip! Fishing was slow but we caught enough for a fish fry, and as always had fun!!! Can’t wait to get back!!! I wish Red was 2 hours closer!!

BlackJack, it was good meeting up with you too. Always nice to put a name to a face.

Well fishing for us was pretty good on Friday night, between 3 houses we caught a few crappies and some walleye and our 1st perch of the year. Always nice to get a couple of each to make a meal for when we get back home. The 2 best times on Friday night were 11:30-1:30 at night and 5:30 -7:00 Sat. morning. Quite a number of 6-10" walleye this weekend. The future for walleye looks bright! We got 3 friends together this weekend and we all brought our boys up. They had a good time as usual playing on the ice and at each others houses. Twice as the 'big boys' were socializing at each others house, the boys notified us they had caught another walleye and it was tangeled up... that was putting it mildly! Good Laughs. One of the boys landed an honest 15"+ crappie! That was a pig! Saturday night My son knocked my Thorne Brothers rod down into the drink... I was not a happy Dad! 15 minutes later with the help of a Jigging Rap, up she came again to the surface! No harm, No foul! back to Happy Dad! I should've left the sacrifice down as the fishing really shut down after that! Only a couple more walleye for the next 18 hours to show for it. As usual the kids weekend was a hit and for the most part went off without a hitch. We may do kids weekend part-2 the 1st half of March and make a day run to LOW like we did last year. That really gets them tuckered out for bed time.

The only other highlight (low lght) is someone with zero class, stole the rear license plate off my truck when we were in town Saturday night! Heck, if they wanted one bad enough, I would have given them an old expired one that I have... Now I need to go waste my time and money and have another one made. Not a real happy Dad again! I know they my seem neat and would look 'cool' in your garage, but give me a break... it's my license plate! Have a sign shop make you up a 'fake' one...

3/4's of the fish we caught were the 'aggressive' type and chased our baits up and then bit... a few came on bobber lines or deadsticks. Glow red Phelps 'glo tubes' on a plain hook and glow red Genz worms were the 2 top baits. Small crappie minnows tail hooked worked the best for us. Lines were set 18"-24" off the bottom.

One of my friends had a buddy out at the end of the road he said 8+ miles (the beginning of the crappie highway). The 2 of them dropped their wheelhouse down at least 200 yards away from the nearest house and proceeded to land 13 crappie and their 4 walleye on Friday night. They called up on Saturday to rub it in! I think They're comin'! The tolls are all open and they even added a lane! Let's hope they kick it in high gear and get here before the ice goes out.

Good Luck!

Ken

Went out this weekend in 2 groups. about 1 1/2 miles out of Rogers in 14 foot of water. My group did very well we ended up catching 16 walleyes and a nice 14 inch Crappie. Took home 8 between 15 and 16 inches. The other house did not do very well only keeping 1 and catching 2 others. We were using green demon jigs to catch most of the fish, I did catch 3 on a silver swedish pimple. Everything we caught was on shiners. Gold was doing the best with a few on emerald. It seemed on Saturday the bigger the bait the better. Caught a 16 1/2 a 19 and a 19 1/2 on the biggest shiner in the bucket. All in all it was a great weekend, had a lot of laughs and caught some fish as well.

Jarnotski,

It was eight feet from the top of the ice. I never catch any crappies in close but it sure seems like we get a heck of a lot more walleyes and we are always by ourselves. We have been doing this the last couple years on the south and east ends with success every time, I never go past a mile out anymore. While I'll be the first to admit I am far from a Red Lake expert, the reports I read farther out in "Crappie country" from this past weekend convince me even more. To be honest, we are not quite as concerned with catching the crappies since they have been slowing and have been rewarded with a much higher walleye catch rate. Lots of fun when they slam the buckshots and pimples. Good luck fishing!!

I went out with a friend all day Sunday- this morning somewhere between 6 3/4-7 miles out of Hillmans and we caught a walleye and a perch right away after setting our wheel house down. We ended up catching one crappie, 3 walleyes (all keepers, 14",15",15") and a couple missed and few lost fish under the ice of the hole. Did not move around much because of the wind and the temps dropped last night so fished in the house all night, no bites on rattle reels overnight. I'll be back in a few weeks when its warmer and maybe find the crappies.

we manged about 8 walleys and 5 nice crappies out 7.5 miles in 11 FOW.....two mammoth 15"+ crppies.....only red frostees with lively minnow caught 'em

LABS4ME-

Borch & I were up but we never made it into Tall Tales. We did the cross country on snowmobiles from Rogers to the Crappie Highway and got slowed down in the blizzard last night. Yikes!

I thought we did OK as we augered plenty of holes in search of black & silver and found a few. Best action was seriously between 10am and 2pm or so both days we fished. Best word to describe the trip was "random". Random crappie here, random crappie there. Crappie on a minnow, crappie on plastic. All the biters were super aggressive but you had to wait through 15 lookers before a biter flew in. Almost hooked a northern on a depth bomb but thats another story. grin.gif

Hew labs nice to see you for the few minutes at westwind and meet your son Hunter. Great report and how many is a few? I'm guessing 9 to 12?

Quote:
I'm guessing 9 to 12?

No that'd only be a couple! hehehe grin.gif The nice thing is we put back a couple of 11-12"ers. It's always good to see them. Gives you hope for next year! ;\)

Hanson,

We looked for you in Tall Tales but Jonny told me you were on sleds. My brother had a 3 crappie flurry at 2:30 pm on Saturday too. 3 fish in 3 minutes and lost 2 more. We were 100' away and never even marked a fish. Saturday we had all lookers and no followers. Nothing on the evening bite and only got one when we came back from the bar. Random is a good word. One here and one there. Over a weekend a guy can scratch out a half dozen if he watches his flasher and figures out what they want. Picked up 2 on rattle wheels Sunday at 2:30 and 5:00 am. We left the lake at 1:30 as we kept hearing the weather guy say how it was poised to pounce on us. Kelly said we were soft 'tourists'... grin.gif But I know what that lake turns into on a 30 mph wind with an inch of fresh powder... been there done that. Age turns into wisdom!

We figured out that if you are on a spot with a real soft mud bottom (more than 4") you definitley did better. We moved my friends house 30 yards from a bottom with maybe an inch or two mud on top of a hard bottom to one that had 5-6" and he went from 1 crappie on Friday night to 4 the next. Luck? who knows... It's just nice seeing a few of them show up.

Good Luck!

Ken

Quote:
The only other highlight (low lght) is someone with zero class, stole the rear license plate off my truck when we were in town Saturday night! Heck, if they wanted one bad enough, I would have given them an old expired one that I have... Now I need to go waste my time and money and have another one made. Not a real happy Dad again! I know they my seem neat and would look 'cool' in your garage, but give me a break... it's my license plate! Have a sign shop make you up a 'fake' one...

Labs,

Too bad about your license plate. Do you live somewhere in the Twin Cities. I saw a vehicle last year that had the license plate LABSS4ME. It was in some parking lot and I thought about waiting for the owner to come out so I could meet you but I decided that you might think I was some kind of stalker. Anyways if you are up this weekend I will be renting from Kelly Wed - Sat morning. Stop in, I'll be in the 5 man and I have a red chevy crew cab. I have used a few of your recipes and they were very good. Take care.

Mike Chaffin

Oh ya I didn't steal your plate when I saw it here in the cities. grin.gif

Mike,

Yep I live in the cities... if you ever see my plate again, wait it out, I like to put faces to names! Once you see my ugly mug, I highly doubt you'd ever stalk me!

Doubt if I'm gonna make it up this weekend, the wife isn't too keen on 4 weeks in a row, but we'll see, if she get's mad enough at me she tells me to leave... hehehe plus her sister is coming to town to look at houses, so i'm telling you I still gotta chance!

Good Luck!

Ken

p.s. thanks for not stealing my plate! hehehe