• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

English Pointers>>>>

11-87

Hey, I am looking at getting an English Pointer,

Does anybody have any comments as in likes, or dislikes about the breed? How have you felt hunting over them.

My current dog is a German Short... and he is getting up there in age a little, and this new female is looking like a good find at a reasonable price.

I've hunted over a bunch of them, if you know what you're getting into they can be hunting machines. A lot of them do get out a bit, so know the lines that it comes from. I guess my only dislikes are that they can be a bit "robotic" meaning that some of them have lacked a bunch of personality. It may or may not be a drawback, but I like my dogs a little sassy if you know what I mean. If you have any other specific questions feel free to email me (in my profile) and I can try and help out as much as I can.

I have a 6 year old male pointer and dont know if i will ever get another breed of dog he has been great. He is good with my three yr old. He is great in the house, sheds a little like all dogs but the shorthair is easy to vaccum up.

He hunts very hard and was relatively easy to train, they are very intelligent dogs. Mine does not retrieve real well but that is mostly my fault as he was the first dog i have ever trained. He has very little interest when outside in doing anything but hunting live animals.

As far as being robotic when were hunting yes he is all business could careless about being pet or doing anything but finding birds. But he will also curl up on the couch and watch tv with me like anyother dog.

If you go with a pointer make sure the breeded knows you are a foot hunter and not looking for a dog bred for big wide open texas horseback hunts. As setterguy said in his post know the lines the dog is coming from. I am looking at a breeded out of missouri for my next dog. Adam

Thanks for the info...

I Picked up the little girl on Tuesday. Found out it was a dog that was owned by one of my co-workers clients.

He likes to keep his dogs close in hunting too just like me.

I think she'll go well with my elder shorthair.

Settrguy my current pointer is not. The one im thinking about adding to the family is a great grandaughter of CH Miller's Silver Bullet. Adam

Setterguy is the guy you are talking about a big AA horseback guy?

Adam I'll bet you are looking at a dog from Shawn. He always has great breedings. One of mine is out of a White Pwdr/Honky Tonk dam with a Thrillogy sired father and let me say he has wheels. I like millers and calico's way better than any of the wehle breedings. Way less problems it seems.

11-87 As for why I didn't post on this one...(I'm sure some thought I'd jump all over it) They definately arn't for everyone. I love hunting behind all of mine. I just couldn't say yes it's the best breed for someone I don't know. Good luck on the new pup. I know I was hooked after my first season. The only other thing I have to say is Birds, Birds, And MORE Birds. Hickox video in your library yet?

CW

Yes Eric runs a lot of horseback trials. Located in Chisago...are we talking about the same guy?

CW, that is correct I have had several people point me to shawn, I also have been looking at a dog down in texas that is a miller. if it was not for a car accident i had back in may i would have a second pointer already. Is there any local pointer breeders that u could recomend. Pointers dont seem to be that popular here in minnesota. Adam

I can get you my guys info...Eric Parsons is his name. He isn't a breeder per say but does have 1-2 litters a year if he has the right dogs on the line.

setterguy that is him. I'll leave it at that.

ATM, your right, not to many breeders up here. I think Capt.Jim on here might have a good line or two. The guy I got my older Thrillogy male from was down by Owatonna. I can look up his info if you want. There is a couple guys from my area that run tournament hunter and last time I talked to them they were looking to maybe use my stud Maximus. I do know one of the pups from us might be having pup next spring 09.

I also have talked to Shawn. He had a Gunpowder pup last year but we had just had a new baby. He seems like a good guy.

CW

I had a English pointer that had Elhew kennels bloodlines and I had it trained. All I can say about this breed or maybe the dog I owned was Stormy was the best hunting dog I will ever own. He had a nose that had to be second to none. They honor a point very well. I always knew that when I was done hunting a field that I knew there were no more birds left behing. I had Stormy for 11 years and then he passed.

This was one great dog and if I were to ever get another pointer, it would again be an English pointer. It was a real joy just to watch this dog work. I ran field trials with this dog also from the time he was 10 months old.

Wonderful hunting breed.

Hillto Kennels Florence AL [Note from Admin: Please read forum rules before posting again. Thank You] Name is Cliff Miles I've seen his dogs work and are very good. They come to Montana a lot so I get to see them every year. CAJ