• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FL-20 being difficult

trro0901

Question

I just got an FL-20 Dual Beam for christmas, its works great if I'm alone, but around any other flasher I can't seem to hold a signal. Just wondering if anyone has any tips of how to get it to work, or if anyone has delt with Vexilar, and how to go about getting it fixed. Any suggestions would be a great help!

25 answers to this question

What do you mean by holding a signal? Are you just getting interference from other Vexilars?

That's a problem that can't really be fixed 100%. You can reduce the interference quite a bit, but sometimes it just won't go away.

It shows a ton of interference, to the point of not being able to find my lure. I've used it seperately by an, Fl-18, Fl-8 and an Aquaview Showdown. I think I have tried every combination of signal channels possiable. Even after messing around a bit with the signals and shutting off the other units, I can't really get a clear signal, there seem to be interference lines running around the screen, I'm not sure if they are bubbles, but they don't show up on the other units when they are on and my gain is all the way down. I guess I'll have to fish alone, haha.

If its like the fl-18 did you try pushing the gain control button in? Thats suppose to change channels to get away from the interference. Check you owners manual.

Have you tried siwtching to the 9* cone angle? Another thing is to make sure your transducer is below the bottom of the ice. Lastly, when using the IR button make sure only one of you is trying to get rid of the interference at a time.

Chad

I actually don't even know what cone I'm on when I get all the interference, I'd guess the 19 degree. Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Also, when I do change channels for interference, should I be waiting a bit before switching to the next channel? Is there a delay on the signal change?

atv2003rt,Welcome to fishingminnesota.com. grin.gif

There should be no delay in the signal change when using the IR feature.I would wait a few seconds to check and see if that IR change reduces the interference before pressing the gain button again.

I've used my FL20 next to other Vex's and Marcum LX3 and LX5's, usually there is a bit of interference but keep pushing the gain button in until its acceptable to use. Sometimes its not perfect but very useable.

I find that every trip on to the ice brings a different situation to deal with. If it is a hard or rocky bottom you seem to get more interference than with a soft bottom.Also deeper water usually is tougher to fish probably because of the ever expanding cone angle. Try making sure everyone around you keeps their transducer in their hole and not below the ice. Also keep the cone angle on the lesser of the 2 settings and have only one person adjust their IR at a time. Keep your gain as low as possible and if all else fails go fish the next point or bay and when you start catching don't let your flasher buddies know until your worn out from hauling them in. Good luck.

I have the exact same unit. And had similar issues. The 9/19 had issues with the transducer hanging straight (epoxy not setting right). The instrcutions for the 9/19 on the Vexilar website give some troubleshooting info to help fix this particular problem. If there procedure does not work, I recommend you call Vexilar Service.

I ended up bring my FL-20 in for service and they replacing the transducer and did some adjusting of the electronics. They did this while I waited/watched. Was out in ~30 minutes no questions asked. GREAT customer service.

The sensitivity is much better now, I have not had a chance to see if the interference problem is fixed. Hope to test over the next couple weeks.

Let us know how things turn out.

Well thank you everyone, I'll have to try looking at how far down everyone has their transducers. I have been fishing deeper water, so it could very well be the reason the cones are overlapping.

if you are in water under 20 ft deep, try using the power saver, it greatly reduced interference on my buddies FL-20.

It was new this past christmas, so I don't believe it is reconditioned. I have tried the 20' low power mode, but recently I was fishing 30'+, so I had to use the 40' range. Does anyone know where a certified Vexilar dealer is that could fix it? I talked to a sales rep at Gander Mt. and he said it could be a month easily if I were to ship the unit in. Is there a faster way to get up and running again?

Call Vexilar I called there last week they told me about a 3-4 day turnaround. They are very helpfull for any questions you may have. Otherwise they are located in or around the Bloomington area.

Vexilar, Inc.

Attn: Service Department

6667 West Old Shakopee Road

Suite #101

Minneapolis, MN 55438

U.S.A.

952-884-5291

Office Hours are 8am and 4:30pm

Central Time

A friend of mine is having the exact same problem with the interference. He's thinking about going back to the FL-18

I think it just takes time to get used to the tweaking of controls... The FL-20 is a far better unit that the FL-18 if you know how to use it to its best ability.

The Gander Mtn person that said it would take a month easy is misinformed. I called their service at 2:30pm, brought it to their office at the address listed by Lusid (45 min drive), and was up and running with the fix by 4pm.

Definitely call their service department - I would be suprised if it took more than 3-4 days to get it back (if your are shipping it). If you need it sooner, make an appointment to bring it in, that way you will have it same day.

Good Luck!

I had the same frustrating problem with my 20 last year. I could never seem to get it to work as good as an 18. It seemed like I could never get a good view of my jig and there was always way more interferance that I wanted. So I sold the 20 and went a bought a new dual cone FL-18. Now I'm happy again!

Send it in if you're having problems still, and like stated above, I'd almost guarantee it'll be back to you in a week...

Originally Posted By: Lusid
Vexilar, Inc.

Attn: Service Department

6667 West Old Shakopee Road

Suite #101

Minneapolis, MN 55438

U.S.A.

952-884-5291

Office Hours are 8am and 4:30pm

Central Time

I'm sure most of you know this, but it's actually a Bloomington address if you want to drive your own in for service.

I decided as soon as I have a day open, aside from college, I'll be making the drive to Bloomington. Are there any papers I'll need, or just a gift reciept?

Call them first to make sure they can get you in and out same day, just ask for service. Make special note of their hours. They can confirm if you need a reciept or not. I'm guessing they will fix it without needing any proof of purchase.

Everything went very smoothly at the Vexilar Inc. I called them about an hour before going down to Bloomington and I got out shortly after with a working unit. Turned out the 19 degree cone was bad on my transducer. All in all I'm back up and running, which is good since the fish will be on the move pretty quick! Thanks everyone for the input!