• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallies on Ole' Miss.

Ebass,

Good luck! It's sure going to be a sloppy one out this weekend. Sloppy=less people=more for us :-). Although there is a stationary front moving through, hope it doesn't spoke the smallies. I think this may be the first real fall bite action I've seen so far (fingers crossed).

Biglakeba$$, the crowd is anticipating a good report this coming Tuesday...the pressure is mounting, don't let us down :-).

Ebass, good luck this weekend. Hope I catch that 21'' before you :-). However, in the case that you catch one first, make sure to get a picture and have rick post it on here.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigMike

• EBass

• HawgTide

• Mark Christianson

Dang, now I need to buy a disposable camera tonight. Off to my weekly stop @ Gander mt I guess. I do have a pic of a 20.5" smallie or it maybe was 20" from MilleLacs on the Bass forum under the thread titled Biggest Bass or something on page 6. It's old though. Like back when you were a new comer with 1 post smile.gif See how far you have come?

Well I hope you catch a 21" before me to. Just release it my way when you're done battling, so I can try.

Two words: REALLY WINDY!!!!!

I couldn't take it and went to the Rum. Windy there too but a little more better. The fishing still sucked. Nothing wanted my big chub (wait, did that come out right?) So I got skunked in the wind. This was on Sat. I haven't been back.

How did you do Big Mike?

Ebass,

Sorry about the skunko! Nice bass by the way ('did that come out wrong', j/k). I checked out your smallie (I think all of these phrases are coming out wrong today...see what you started LOL) in the big bass forum. I need to catch a few of those!

Anyways, about this weekend... It was nasty out. Cold, wet, and windy on Saturday and just plain cold and windy yesterday. I went out on both Saturday and Sunday and only landed 4 fish all weekend. 1 small northern and 3 mini bass (all under 8'').

I did make it out to the coon rapids dam and I have to say I was disappointed. I don't know if it was me, the water levels, or what??? I basically walked everywhere: across the dam to the west side & down the shore, all the way back along the east side and then island in the middle. All the water was either 6'' or shallower or moving way to fast. No breaks hardly anywhere! I did find a couple eddies to work off of the island and caught the northern and a 5'' smallie, but that's it. I went up to the spillway and fished off that for crappies, but no good there either. Where is there to fish around that park??? All I found was you either had to fish the shallow water with no structure or fish and vertical jig from 20 feet above the water. Was I missing something? Maybe it was just me.

Bummer Big Mike, sorry about that. I haven't been there in a while like last year spring time. I'll have to make it up to you.

Are you going to be in town this weekend?

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 09-29-2003).]

Ebass, it's all good. I thought it was a good adventure for me. I think the bite was slow all over so it's not a big deal. I'm always looking for new places, sometime it works, other times it doesn't. But you never know 'til you try. My motto is: Fishing is fishing :-).

I have been thinking about posting a thread on the Coon Rapids dam and asking where to fish in the park. I know spots are secret but a little advice probably would have lead me to what to look for. In a similar spotlight, I think this forum might be letting my little "spot" out of the bag, I have never seen anyone down there before and yesterday evening there was a family of 4 and 2 guys about my age (mid-20's). I actually didn't mind, that meant as long as they were there I could stay after sundown without having to worry about anything bad happening :-).

About this weekend, I should be around. If there is something big going on I usually remember, but I don't think there is. I have to double check with the wifey though. She has always been the social planner, I'm more of the fly by the seat of my pants and whatever happens happens...and if I get a free minute I'm off with my pole in hand.

I'm going to check with thy g-friend. She wanted me to go up to Ely to see her mom this weekend. But I want to stay in town, way cold up there, and too long of a drive. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, only one more day until our special guest.

Our "special guest" better not let us down...we are counting on a good report. The anticipation is building! He better not no-show! j/k. :-). Biglakeba$$ the pressure is on.

Well it looks like my weekend was pretty clear, but when she asked me why I was asking and I told that ebass from FM asked she just gave me the look. You know the one I'm talking about; the "I know you just didn't ask me to go fishing" look. Well it's a good thing I didn't ask, I told her I was. J/K! I think I just caught her off guard, so who knows, maybe I'll end up out on the river...or the mpls chain this weekend. I've got to mix it up a little bit, maybe.

It looks like our guest, BigLakeBa$$ MAY get the 100th post for our show...he should feel honored :-).

I still haven't talked to my g-friend about this weekend. I'll let you know tomorrow if I'll be in town. I should be, then we can go where ever. Plus it looks like it will be warmer out. I think I know a place to take you. I can't go real far with the Merc acting like crap, but as long as we go upstream we can drift back down. Do you have a time frame? Moby always had to be back before noon. Honey-dos I guess.

Where's BigLakeBass? Maybe the fishing is so good he can't leave.

I'll let you know by tomorrow Big Mike. I think it should be OK.

Ebass, about this weekend earlier is always better; the wifey likes to sleep in. When it comes to fishing though, I always seem to loose track of time... funny how that happens! Just as long as I know in advance I think the wifey will be ok with whatever happens :-). I also wanted to say, don't feel obligated or anything. If it happens, sweet, if not...maybe next year - in my boat :-).

Well sweet 100 post :-). Gotta love those river smallies!

Bummer BigLakeBass! I was hoping for a good report. Oh well, next year then?

BigMike, still haven't had the "talk". I'll let you know. I'm still planning on staying in town.

Just looked at the weather for this weekend. They're talking windy again on Sat. We'll see how it goes, and that's if I'm in town.

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 10-01-2003).]

Ahhhh
Hi guys.......

Can you say, "Warm bed was a stronger influence than a cold river Tuesday morning?"
Went to watch the Twins at noon, and snuggled up to the bar all afternoon with the wife.

I have the invite from a friend for Thursday morning, but I cannot pull it off.

Looks like I have some redeeming ahead of me. Trouble is that ducks are now upon me, and fishing gets less and less. I should not have chimed in. I should have just been a "surprise" guest.

frown.gif

OK Big Mike I got the weekend in town. However, it depends on the weather. If it's as windy as last time, well never mind I still have a place that we can go. Heck, we could even launch at your spot then go upstream.

What's your email address?

Whenever I read from the Bigmike and Ebass show, I hear that old circus kalliope song in my head. I don't know why, just is. (If you're a Simpsons fan, its the one that accompanies Homer saying "The ballet? I love the ballet!")
(picture of bear in tutu driving car)
So, enough of me expressing my mental instabilities. Have a good one.

Sorry... I've been WAY busy at work lately! My bad!

I was just so disappointed in BigLakeBa$$ guest appearance. It took me a couple days to recover. :-)

About this weekend I’ll double check with the wife and make sure we are good. My email at home is [email protected]. Let me know about this weekend and times. I’m assuming Saturday…??? I’ll check my email tonight when I get home and double check with my wife. I can for sure wrap up some plans tonight too. Stinks about the wind/cold conditions, but the fish are out there, just have to find’em.

Back to the grindstone…have to pay for my fishing habit somehow.

There ya are big fella. You'll have mail here in a min to work out the details. We'll find some fish, catching them is another deal. I already have a place in mind.

All you'll have to do is put me on the fish, we'll get something. If we don't, I'll bring along the dynamite :-) j/k. I'll look for the email tonight when I get home. It may be late evening (7pm or later) before I get home. I've had to put a lot of overtime this week. End of the month stuff has be bogged down. At least I'm getting paid for the OT, can't complain with that deal.

I'll write tonight when I get home. Have a good one.

I met the infamous BigMike this past Sat. BigMike is a class act to say the least and whooped my butt for catching the big fish of the day. He caught a dandy 19.5" Smallie and I caught a 16.5" or so. My fish kinda released itself. We missed some bites here and there, but by the end of the day this is what we caught. He got some small pike to, but they don't count. smile.gif

Nice to meet you BigMike, we'll get them again.

I met the infamous BigMike this past Sat. BigMike is a class act to say the least and whooped my butt for catching the big fish of the day. He caught a dandy 19.5" Smallie and I caught a 16.5" or so. My fish kinda released itself. We missed some bites here and there, but by the end of the day this is what we caught. He got some small pike to, but they don't count. smile.gif

Nice to meet you BigMike, we'll get them again.

Ebass, I don't know about infamous...maybe you meant unfamous (the i & u keys are real close together) :-). j/k. Thanks for the kind words. But the truth be known, Ebass was the class act. My fishing knowledge was dwarfed by his knowledge and technique and he could have easily been frustrated with any one of my several snags. But he was very patient and I learned a lot from him this last weekend. Thanks Ebass...I look forward to any future outings.

By the way, I only lucked out with the big one of the day! Maybe I'll try and get the picture on here.

Ebass,

How was your day out yesterday? Any 'sippi brozies? I have been so swamped with work! I hope to get out on Thursday but that is really questionable on how work is going (might have to put some more OT). This weather is awesome... 80 degrees in October. The bite must really be hot today and tomorrow!

Ebass,

How was your day out yesterday? Any 'sippi brozies? I have been so swamped with work! I hope to get out on Thursday but that is really questionable on how work is going (might have to put some more OT). This weather is awesome... 80 degrees in October. The bite must really be hot today and tomorrow!

I don't know why, but I made a post this morning but it didn't show up after I submitted it. Weird!

Ebass, sounds like you had an interesting day yesterday on the Rum. Stinks that it was packed out and no piggies...but at least you got to meet Ron and Raven. And you can't complain with this awesome weather. Hopefully it will turn the bronzie's bite on.

Hope this post works this time.

Well let's see if this post works. I've been silenced today because my posts weren't posting!

I hope to be down on the 'sippi tomorrow night. I think I'm going to head down to the Stone Arch Bridge just below the spillway. There are some islands down there that hold some larger "pocket bass"...there has to be some larger ones in there somewhere.

I'm still on a high from my 19.5'' bronzie on my outing with Ebass. Thanks again Ebass for a great day out on the water. One which I doubt will be topped anytime soon...although if I do catch that 21+" first, you'll be the first to hear about it.

Well here goes, I hope it posts...

I just hate to watch the Big Mike/Ebass show take a back seat to all the other topics.
Lets get some info going guys. You are going to lose some ratings pretty quick.

Back to the Ebass & BigMike show!

I have been out of commission on the posts since Monday. Rick finally got me up and going. It looks like he was able to posted all my mis-posts from that day…

I was down on the ‘sippi below the lock/dam @ the stone arch bridge. I only caught one small pocket bass that looked like it had been dinged by a big pike or water churns from the hydropower plant there. Two other guys were down there wading around the islands and said they caught a handful of pocket bass.

Ebass/BigMike show is back in business! I’m going to try and get my pic posted on here of that huge 19.5’’ bronzeback.