• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallies on Ole' Miss.

Well I got skunked but not with fishing but by the wifey. I was all set to get out on Saturday and all of a sudden, "can I just ask you a favor, can you do this..." The list didn't stop! LOL. So needless to say I didn't get out this weekend, but it's all good though because I'm going up to either Alexandria chain or the Taylor's Falls area to go camping this weekend...just hanging with the guys so YOU KNOW there will be a lot of fishing going on!!! I have some catching up to do!

So sorry no reports :-(...but hopefully I'll be back in action. If I can't be fishing, at least I can talk about it on here! :-)

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigMike

• EBass

• HawgTide

• Mark Christianson

Went back to the gool ole Miss Sunday afternoon to dusk. The water is up a couple of feet or a foot, heck I don't know, but it was up a bit. Didn't find them in the same places as last week. Most were found close to an eddy. Some were found on the front side of rock plies, which I seem to find a bunch, or they found me.

Nothing to brag about, I got about 5 smallies and the biggest was 15". Bill had about the same. Oh, one bonus walleye that went around 15-16". All on tubes. No bites on anything else.

Big Mike how did you do?

I was writing my post when you were writing yours.

Anyways the caver cat thing went well. I caught a 38" Flathead on cut sucker. I missed two other run/hits. That is my personal biggest fish of all spieces. It looked like a big toad!

Cats are a lot of fun to fish for, especially those big ones. But for some reason I've never really gotten into fishing for them. I think it goes back to when I was younger...I had a BAD run in with a channel cat barb growing up in California. We used to fish the channels and aquaducs (sp?) for catfish all the time! When I was 7 or 8 I got the barb right in the hand and my hand got really infected, ever since no kitties (on purpose) for me! I stick to my first love...BASS! Maybe throw in an occasional 'eye or crappie, but I really don't focus on those species. Usually only catch'em by accident.

I've been "stung" or "barbed" before and it hurt that night but nothing ended up being bad like you - OUCH.

yeah it was a big mess. My hand got really infected and it hurt like you know what! I had to go to the doctor a few times to have it looked at and wrapped. I know it sounds weird, but trust me, my hand was a swollen mess! Anyways, I've had little stings in the last few years from random cats that I've caught and just like you, it'll usually just sting for the night. But even with those more recent experiences there is just something that makes me hesitate for that one moment before I handle a cat'.

Anyways, congrats on the big toad LOL! That must have been dragging you all over the river. Hopefully by week's end I'll be back on the river, I've been anxious to get on the river since this last rainfall.

And about the time you read this post you'll be at 1000 posts. Congrats!

I have 9 more to get to a grand. Not that it really means anything except that I post too much. But it's all for a real good cause - FISHING

Probably won't get out till the end of the week. We'll see though. My 25 horse merc is acting up again. If it ain't one thing it's another. I'm about to bring it out back and put her down. The engine not my g-friend smile.gif

I want new outboard jet, but then I fish lakes to so I don't know. Just dreaming as I have no funds for any upgrades this year. C'mon tax return.

Ebass,

No reports from the weekend, see my post from earlier this morning...the lady put me to work this weekend. I'm really hoping for at least one outting this week down to the ole' 'sippi. But I'm for sure going this weekend to either the 'Croix or the Alex. Chain. So either way I can't go wrong :-). Sounds like a decent outting on the 'sippi for you. Can't complain with a hand full of decent size smallies. How was the carver cat outting?

I’m right there on the tax returns. I’ll be turning those babies in early this year. Should get a good chunk back this year and of course that is just that much more towards the boat fund! Sorry to hear about the merc, just hit it a few times, shove a screwdriver in it… basically just rough it up a little and it’ll probably start right up :-). (“the engine, not your g-friend”)LOL!

Well I’m going out tonight! As soon as I get off work I’m heading down to Nicolet island for the evening. I was thinking about hitting around the boat launch and was going to ask you if you have ever tried right around the immediate boat launch? It would seem to me that the current would break right into that little inlet and since it’s a launch it’s got to be a little deeper than down on Nicolet island. What do you think? Do you have to pay to park down at the boom island (I think that is what it’s called) parking lot?

I haven't fished there so I can't tell ya.

That was a nice joke to. LOL Busy at work got to run. Good luck, tell me how it went. Nice day out today.

AGH! What a frustrating night. Ebass I think you jinxed the ‘sippi. I fell victim to the skunk last night! I was out trying out a couple new spots (boom island launch) and nothing, not even a bite. Actually I got one. About 15 minutes before I was going to leave I hooked into the nicest smallie I’ve ever had. I had to fight it for about a minute. It was jumping and using the current to it’s advantage! I finally got it to shore and because I didn’t have my net I reached down to thumb it (I couldn’t just pull it out of the water…too big!) and snap goes the line! I had my fingers nearly in his mouth and gone…and I got splashed on top of it! It was AT LEAST a 4.5-5lber could have been pushin more!!!! It was one of those moments when I was ready to snap my pole in half I was so torqued! I am always careful to retie knots and check for abrasions in my line, but for some reason my 12lb line snapped! AGH. Just thinking about it makes me mad!

Other than that I did manage to catch a 5 foot railroad tie! LOL I thought I was snagged on something so I went to just snap the line and as I pulled it started slowly moving…so I kept it up for about a minute and sure enough a 5ft railroad tie. I was just glad to get my crankbait back! I was kinda scared at first, you never know what you can pull out of the ‘sippi. It was so big I didn’t know if I’d be pulling in a body or what!

Either way, I’m not going back to Boom Island area. I’ll stick to just down stream to Nicolet island area and stone arch bridge.

Not going back and you had a pig of a smallie? That's a real old fish for that section. So there's hope that they're more in there.

I went to Medicine and only got small pike and a wee little bass. Just wasn't our night. I like dawn better any who. Just sucks getting up.

Yeah it was a pig of a bronzeback, but I was there for almost four hours with no hits or anything and then of course after I got that one to shore I thought there was hope and stayed a hour and a half after dark which no one should do down there! Just not worth it. I would rather spend a couple hours with a handful of 12-15 inchers than 4 hours of nothing but a broken line and a watered down railroad tie!

I've caught a handful of 2-3lbers down around Nico' island, and I'm not saying I'm not going to try new spots out still, just opting out of that one. You had to pay too... but I found a side street for free parking across from the entrance of the park and just walked down.

Well you should be at 1000 posts by now (you were at 999 with this last one). Congrats! keep up the good posts!

Hey
I thought this was a thread for smallies on the ole miss??
Not the Big Mike/Ebass show....

smile.gif

BIGLAKEBA$$ come on down!!! You're the next contestant on the EBASS/BIGMIKE show! The first item in our showcase is a post on "smallies on Ole' Miss"... LOL

Welcome back to the show :-). No one said it had to be the ebass/bigmike show... feel free to chime in at any time. All smallie info welcome...even if it's not on the ole' miss'

LOL grin.gif You all know me. I'll respond where I can and sometimes where I don't belong, but both Big Mike and I have been fishing simular stretches. He's more downtown and I've been in North MPLS.

biglakkbass, How's the Anoka area been? I've been reading that the bite slowed down since last weekend. That was you who fished out there right, like a month ago ???

Ofcourse anyone can chime in. We seem to be the only ones that have been fishing this area or metro sippi, or atleast care to share. Not like it's hot or anything.

I'm trying to decide on where to go this weekend. River or lake, north or south, smallies or largies. Too many places so little time. Glad to be an American with issues like that. And yes my merc is acting up. I'm going to look at it tonight and adjudt my idle rod or throttle rod. Seemed to help last time.

Hey, I am just smiling as I read. It was entertaining watching you guys go back and forth.
I don't have much to chime in on.
Yea, thats me. I grew up in Champlin, and lived in Andover for another 9 years.
Now I live in Big Lake and I love bass.
I havent been out for 3 weeks or so I guess. I have been meaning to get out there, but "things" keep coming up. Especially that "hunting thing" now will kill it.

Ohhh, I love the Miss up there in Dayton/Anoka/Ramsey. Many a fun trip out there. Hoping like heck to get out a time or two soon, but not looking real good.
Enough of me. I am messing up your thread. Back to you guys!

Nah...I'm just using Ebass to boost my posting amounts. j/k. LOL! My mere 50+ in comparison to Ebass' 1000+. I'll have to start diversifying my posts if I'm ever going to catch up.

Ebass is right, we just happen to fish a similar stretch of the 'sippi. Maybe one of these days ebass will find an extra seat for a fellow smallie/river FM'er, heck bass lover in general. But like I said before, I'm not going to beg :-) just drop hints LOL. Maybe someday I'll have my own boat and when your merc acts up you'll have a seat in mine :-).

Biglake, do you know of any good shoreline spots up in anoka/champlin area for smallies on the river?

It starting to look like I'm going to be doing the weekend warrior thing too with the low evening light :-(. But I can't complain, fishing is fishing...you gotta get it all in before it freezes over! I've never been into the ice fishing thing. Growing up in CA you never had to deal with that and it's just a little to foreign to me.

If you want to wade/shorefish, Monticello has a long stretch that can be walked. I go through there on my way home from work everyday. In Anoka, shoring is a little tougher.(Keep in mind I don't ever shore fish, so I am speaking from a perspective from sitting in the boat and what I have seen)
The Rum River can be waded too in areas(when its low).
Right below the police station in Anoka there is a very large public dock, and I have watched people catch bass there when we have been up there in a boat.From the boat launch on the Rum, and north is a very nice area full of rocks.
On the Champlin side of the Mississippi there is a boat launch with a fair amount of area that people are always fishing as well.

Well I miss your reports Biglakebass. So get back out there and tell me what's up. I will be in that area in the fall, or may even try it this weekend. smile.gif Then I can let you know.

Big Mike, don't even get me started on ice fishing. That maybe even more fun that fishing from a boat. Maybe is the key word, but it's a blast. And yes spend more $$ on ice fishing gear. It never seems to end. Hey, did you go to the Anoka gathering. That's a nice shore to try and bigger than norm since it's a park.

I'll get you in BigMike, just how big are you? I have small boat - LOL

I am trying. I just need a kick in the shorts to get my butt out there, and quit making excuses. smile.gif

Keep in mind, the water levels west of the Anoka/Champlin bridge if you go out this weekend. You can get eaten up.

Duh, I cant believe I forgot to mention the Penninsula Point Park at the Rum and Mississippi.

Ebass, I'm not that big...LOL Good one. I work with a church youth group and that's my nickname. I'm only 6'2'' 245lb... big but not huge! LOL! Just how small is your boat? Just drag me behind in my old float tube. J/K. My float tube is so old I think the tube is cracked and flat. no since in getting a new one when I can save for a boat.

No I didn't get up to the Anoka outing :-(. But I do have that spot on my list of places to hit. If not this fall for sure next spring/summer. I won't get you started on the ice fishing thing either. I doubt that I would be a convert!

Biglake, thanks for the info. I don't get up that far north...YET :-).

Well it's a cold/rainy day and I couldn't let a day pass without adding to my favorite post.

I'm bummed I missed out on yesterday's action. One of my neighbors was down at the river last night on pool 2 and said he was just nailing them. Last night was the perfect conditions with this storm coming in this morning. I can't believe I missed it :-(. The bite within 5-10 hours of a storm/coldfront is always the best.

I have a 14' Lowe Bigjon. I like it so far. Of course I wish I had a bigger and better one, but one goal at a time. When you do get your boat try to max out the motor.

I may try to hit the river. Where I don't know and that's if I do. Still up in the air.

Whoops, forgot to finish my sentence.

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 09-19-2003).]

Ebass,

Welcome back to the show! You were quiet for a couple days. Are you back in action? I'll probably be out on the river tomorrow around my usual spots. I need to try some different presentations and lures to see what I can do with this cold weather.

Speaking of cold weather, I saw your post in the weather conditions! I think I'm in the same boat with the weather/barometric pressure...fishing is fishing and I'm not going to go out just because a coldfront is moving through. However, there is a lot of truth in hot & slow fishing according to the weather fronts/baro.pressure. Weird how all that works.

Another bummer weekend! My plans with the guys were cancelled so I ended up trying to get out to the 'sippi and very little luck out there this weekend. I had a handful of tiny smallies and that's it. Plus the water level was way up from a week or so ago. All of that rain really pushed the water up, looked to be over a foot higher, possibly more.

Hope some of you had better luck than I did. I think my largest was a 10'' all weekend.

Yea I had the flu on Thursday, not fun.

I tried to make it to the river after the vikes game. As soon as we got there it rained pretty good. Turned around and went home. Oh well. I'm going to try to get out tomorrow. Looks warmer than today and less windy.

I changed the lower unit lube and it did look cloudy (water leaking in somewhere) I haven't tested it out to see if that's whats making it squeal or something else. I maybe back in action, we'll see. Or I may be the guy at your spot shore fishing till ice up. smile.gif

Ebass,

Sounds like a plan on the outing. Don't want to end up stranded & floating down river!

About the fishing action and rain. I was really hoping for a good bite yesterday because the cold front was moving through late last night, but it just wasn't there. I don't know if it's because of the river levels or what??? It left me a little baffled. Oh well, can't win them all. At least I caught something, even if they were small! I'm really hoping for a good fall bite this year. Last year I got stumped more times that not :-(.

Psst go with bigger lures. Big 5" grubs, big tubes, bigger minnow cranks, bigger flukes and what not. Do you know what the water temp is? Around 50 the feed bag is put on. They are out there, just go to find them.

I may try live bait this weekend if the motor doesn't squeal.

I really don't think and heard the same that river fish aren't effected by fronts. More like temp, flow rate, and light. The more stable the better is what I think.

You're right, fishing is fishing. Can't wait to have one of dem catching days.

Sorry for the double post. Trying to get to 2000 - LOL

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 09-22-2003).]