• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How much cap room do the Vikings have?

maros91

If the vikes can get their hands on him, Berrian would be instant success. He will make defenses pay over and over for bringing 8 or 9 guys in the box. Hes a proven deep threat. He would instantly bring a dimension that defenses would have to respect. Something defenses didnt have to do last year. Having to respect that dimension would just open up Peterson. Adding Berrian would add an element of "pick your poison". Lets face it, if you have a reciever that can get you deep its going to open up lanes to run. This is the type of reciever we need. But again, will the bears pay him? But then again, is he sick of playing in Chicago? Would the prospects of playing on the fast track of the metrodome and playing with a home run hitter like Peterson be appetizing enough to get him in town? Maybe....

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tisosy11

• james_walleye

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

The bears didn't use their franchise tag on him so he will become a Free Agent and then the bidding wars will begin for him. Also heard on PA and Dubay from Adam Caplan (footballinjuries.com) that the bears front office and Berrian's agent aren't seeing eye to eye on things and that the bears are more interested in signing Lance Briggs long term. I really hope the vikes land him because then we could focus on other needs like signing a safety and Justin Smith DE.

I am going to suggest a guy. He had issues in oakland. but porter would be better. Or him and berrian with rice.

OK - before everyone signs berrians check. What has he really done to prove he can be the main target in an offense?

I'm not saying I wouldn't take him...but I don't know that another 6' nothing receiver that weighs 180 will do for us...He's a nice player, don't get me wrong. But i don't know that hes going to be worth the price tag that he will assuredly come with...

Originally Posted By: tisosy11
...But i don't know that hes going to be worth the price tag that he will assuredly come with...

Not many free-agency players are.

If the Vikes are gonna spend real money on a receiver, I'd rather see them pick up Moss or Stallworth. If they can get a deal on Berrian (odds are pretty slim), then go for it.

The Vikes need a true #1 reciever. Berrian is not it and neither is Johnson or Porter. Yes, Berrian is fast but just because you put him out there doesn't mean the whole field will open up for AP. He really hasn't proven anything so far in the NFL. He has never had a quality QB throwing to him and he wouldn't have one with the Vikes either. From what I've seen he basically only runs two patterns well(fly and double move). We run a modified wco and Berrian doesn't really fit. Plus with the lack of quality #1 wr's in this years free agency he will be vastly overpriced. We need to build through the draft and there is tremendous quality and depth at the wr position this year. WE AREN'T GOING TO WIN IT ALL THIS YEAR OR NEXT! There is no quick fix wr out there for us. Our best option is to draft and develop.

Id like to see the vikes go after one of the big name receivers in the draft. Either Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, or Desean Jackson. I have looked into a TON of mock drafts and alot have MN taking a DB/WR/S. I like Kelly alot(6'4", 4.40, and great hands). There's just so many options in the draft. Can't wait.

I don't know, Berrian had 71 catches, 950 yards and 5 TD's last year on an offense that was horrible. Seems as though he's proven alot more than any reciever thats still in college yet. Drafting a reciever is getting to be to much of a "shot in the dark". The vikings will address the WR need somehow in free agency. Berrian most certainly is a #1 reciever and there will be a high market for him. I think his talent is very possibly highly untapped playing on the rotten offense he's played on. Don't get me wrong, if you could draft Sweed and know hes going to be a 85 catch 1200 yard guy at some point then that would be great, but you don't know that. We've seen Berrian put up decent numbers on a horrible offense. We all know he can play. Its certainly a safer bet. And he's a guy that can step in game 1 next season and produce for a team that was a win against the skins last year from the playoffs. We've seen with the giants how just getting into the playoffs can turn into gold. Add a reciever who you know can play next year and you've filled an awfully big hole on a team that isnt to shabby as it stands. Having Berrian might not instantly open up things for AP, but anyone whos seen him play knows if you leave him 1 on 1 on the outside he can make you pay. He is the kind of guy this team lacked last year. An outside reciever who can make you pay dearly for stacking the box. The vikes are at a point where they have to make a run this year or next. You arent going to keep this defense together forever. They've built through the draft nicely the last couple years. Its time to supplement those drafts with some free agents now. Put the pieces together and try to make a run. The NFC isn't that strong, a few pieces could put the vikings in the mix. An outside reciever is an absolute must!

ahahha berrian hasn't been a 85 catch 1200 yard guy so, you'd be willing to pay 8 times more than a rookie receiver

Berrian has decent numbers but he's far from a #1 reciever. He's better than our other options but not worth the price we'd have to pay. He's a #2 and nothing more.

#1 recievers: Moss, TO, Fitzgerald(sp?), Wayne, House and Ocho. Berrian aint even sniffin those guys.

Just some stats: Berrian was 26 in the league in yardage and 47 other guys had as many or more TDs than him.

I'd take Berrian if the price was right or if we had an established, quality quarterback,

Originally Posted By: koonie

#1 recievers: Moss, TO, Fitzgerald(sp?), Wayne, House and Ocho. Berrian aint even sniffin those guys.

Yeah, these guys are #1, but really the only one who is really available is Moss, and frankly he isnt coming here. So you need to settle for what is left and the best talent available in FA. The vikes need a WR, cuz as of right now we basically have Rice, Wade and Allison so we need another playmaker, regardless if he is a #1,2,3,4 WR. Names that have come up are Berrian, Andre Davis, jerry Porter, Bryant Johnson...they aren't the best players overall but the Vikes need to sign 1 or 2 vetern WR's that can come in now and produce. Unless you can guarentee any of these WR's in the draft can produce like AP did last year. I honestly think they should make a valid push for Alge Crumpler because he would do wonder for T-Jack or go the route of draft Michael Rucker TE from Missouri on day one in the 2nd round.

All I know is the vikes will take a player at #17 that fits well with the overall character of this team, and is a stand out athlete regardless of position. Plus whom ever drops to us will determine that as well....there are so many mock drafts that half the time they don't even know what they are talking about and judge players off of combine numbers! The combine has its purpose but I am more concerned what these players do on the field (can they catch the ball, run with it, hang on to the ball, block, read the QB, tackles well, has a nose for the football, etc) rather than how fast they run some shuttle drill or 40 yard dash or how much they can bench press for how many reps! So really anything can happen and the vikes could take a Kenny Phillips or DeSean Jackson or Mario Manningham or Calais Campbell, etc. Just to list a few names but strange things happen come draft day, and I think after what the Giants did this year look for alot of teams to load up on DE's. Meaning it would be a good idea if the vikes looked into signing Justin Smith of the Bengals once FA opens on friday! Just 4 days away guys!

LOLOL AHAHAHA Yeah I would pay Berrian. None of the rookies have ever caught a ball in the NFL and you may end with Troy Williamson. LOLOL. You get a reciever or two in free agency and get your safety in the draft, its the safe way to go. I sat and had this discussion on here 2 seasons ago about Matt Schaub. I said hes played a few games, we've seen him play in the NFL. Well worth the 2nd round pick in my mind so bring him in. Everyone else thougth he hadnt played enough, don't waste a 2nd round pick on him. Draft a QB and groom him people said. How has that turned out in hindsight? Schaub was pretty darn good last season and our QB's werent. Similiar situation here and here you don't have to even trade from him. A solid reciever who's been trapped on a terrible offense. A guy whos talent i believe is largely untapped. I'm not saying hes a Fitz, Owens, Moss, Ocho, but you don't have to be one of these guys to be a solid #1 reciever either. Like i said though, as much as i want him the FAN said there is at least 10 teams that will be after his services. The market is big for him. Hes a good reciever whos talent hasn't been exploited and teams know it. We havnen't seen the best of Berrian. Wherever he ends up he instantly makes any reciever core much, much better. You don't know that with any rookie. Take the top 4 recievers in the draft and you'll be lucky if 2 them ever get to be better than average. And you most likely won't see that until season 2 or 3. Don't know if the vikings can keep a really good defense together long enough to sit and try to groom recievers for a couple years down the road. Then in 2 years you still might be sitting where you are now because the reciever didn't pan out. Acually the ideal situation is to get a buy like Berrian. Go get Williams, the safety from the Bengals and you could still then draft a reciever because the vikings actually need 2 recievers, not just 1.

Originally Posted By: james_walleye
LOLOL AHAHAHA Schaub was pretty darn good last season and our QB's werent.

T-jack - 70.8 1911 yards 12 tds (3 rushing) and 12 picks

Schaub - 87.2 2241 9 tds 9 picks

You would be willing to swap first rounders and lose two 2nd rounders for 330 yards. I wouldn't...[PoorWordUsage] Williamson dropped more yards than that in half the games he played in...

If you say the Vikes screwed up by not getting Schaub you should return your authentic AP jersey because he'd be a Falcon right now...Sidney Rice wouldn't be in purple either. Plus your # 2 this year.

Not sure Schaub was worth it...Give t-jack a chance with some receivers that will not drop the ball...

Going into the 2006 NFL draft the talk was a 2nd round pick for Schaub. I would have done that. No i wouldnt have done what the texans did.

Just read on Paul Allens bit on KFAN that the browns are interested in Berrian. He says the vikings will seek out Berrian but if the bidding gets to high they will back out.

JW....Schaub looked good in the 1st half of the season but getting injuried and then after teams started taking the Texans seriously he didn't look so great. I honestly would of gone the route that the Vikes took anyways because I remember when Schaub was up for grabs and the vikes did bring him in but I think his age and the asking price was a bit high for him. Especially for the Vikes at the time when they needed every draft pick they could use.

Good news is we traded Williamson to the Jags for a 6th round draft pick! So now the vikes can focus on signing their own unrestricted free agents and guys like on the open market come Friday. Who do you guys think the vikes will resign from the list of free agents that we have now? (Mewelde Moore, Tony Richardson, Robert Ferguson, Spencer Johnson, Darrion Scott, Dontarrious Thomas, Ronyell Whitaker, Tank Williams, Mike Doss)

As a fan I'd like us to retain Richardson, Johnson, and Williams, but reality is I bet the vikes only retain 2 of these guys and they will probably be Ferguson, and Willams. I think with an abundance of teams with money to spend Moore, Richardson, Johnson, and Scott will get good contracts for more what they are worth.

Another name that came up in the free agent WR talks on the PA show was Devard Darling of the Baltimore Ravens...any thoughts? Remember the vikes have $30 million in cap room so they can splurge one 1 or 2 players (Berrian, Justin Smith), I think Madieu Williams or Jamori Wilson the safeties that the vikes are looking at won't demand as much money as Berrian, Asante Samuel will.

Going into the 2006 season he was 3 years into his career and the talk was a 2nd round pick would do the trick. I would have done that. Anymore than that, no i wouldnt have. It may all work out great. If they would have had Schaub they probably wouldnt have had the 7th pick last draft and probably wouldnt have gotten AP. So yeah in hindsight so far it probably has worked out.

Right, the talk was a 2nd rounder...proves that PA & Dubay aren't the all knowing.

But evidently he wasn't attainable for a 2nd rounder...

I don't think i even listened to them a couple years ago. It was the national media that i heard that was saying a 2nd rounder.........

I also didnt form my Berrian opinions from them either if thats what your suggesting. When i heard Berrian was out there, instantly i thought that is the kind of reciever the purple needs. I did hear PA say he is high on him too. That is why i checked his blog, to see if he was saying anything about the odds on us signing him. I don't think the odds are good myself as much as i'd like to see it.

Yeah...everyone said a 2nd rounder would do it. Everyone except the Falcons and Texans...

Berrian would be a solid piece, but not worth the money he will get, which will likely compare to the top 5-6 receivers... I think the same for mr Turner.

Well i guess the question is this...if not Berrian then who? I think the vikes are at a point in which they have to make a move now. They have built for a few years. If you spend 2 more years building an offense, now your key defensive players are free agents and are leaving. You can't keep this defense together forever. The offensive line is solid but its not getting younger. So you have to add some pieces that can come in and work right now. Who do you add for a reciever? Just drafting a guy like Jackson or Sweed won't do anything for the team this year. Thats for 2 years down the road. They could compliment a good reciever like Steve Smith did for Burress late this last season. I just don't think you can draft a guy this year and have him be what the team needs instantly. I think we will know quickly how the front office thinks this team is sitting. If it thinks the team is close to that run they will be aggressive early. If they sit back and don't do much early in FA or sign someone like Bryant Johnson or Andre Davis then maybe we are a year away. These guys are complinentary recievers. We have enough of that kind of reciever. Stallworth would be alright but i just think hes to much of a headcase. I thought after last years FA period that the reason the team left so much $$ on the table was because they were going to spend last season developing some key guys. Developing Jackson, AP, and Rice. Get them some expierience and now this year with the $$ available you add the pieces you need to make a run. If they see Berrian as a piece than get it done. If Justin Smith is a piece than get it done.

I think Rice has a good chance at being a #1 reciever, and Allison being a good 2 or 3. I think they still need to add someone, but I dont think they should give a huge contract to someone just to get a reciever.

My question is, are the Vikings going to keep Chester Taylor, or do you think they trade him? I dont think he is happy being #2. Im sure we can get something good for him now, and there is no sense in letting him rot on the bench!

Originally Posted By: james_walleye
If you spend 2 more years building an offense, now your key defensive players are free agents and are leaving. You can't keep this defense together forever. The offensive line is solid but its not getting younger. So you have to add some pieces that can come in and work right now. Who do you add for a reciever?

Exactly thats why its important the vikes use their 1st day draft picks on the d-line and o-line. Unless that impact player like a AP is there at 17 which I doubt, the vikes should draft B.P.A. I wouldn't mind us though spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR, but the vikes have to get younger at the D-line, safety, and add depth at o-line. I'd really like us to draft Kenny Phillips the safety out of Miami or his teammate Calius Campbell DE.

If the vikes don't add a WR like Berrian through Free Agency, then the vikes will just have to look farther down the free agent list and names like Andre Davis, Porter, Stallworth, Bryant Johnson, etc. will be tossed around I am sure. I think as a fan Davis would be safe sign because he gives you speed, experience and good special team (punt&kick return) ability. But even then signing him, the vikes need to add another WR through free agency and maybe even in the draft.

If you don't have chester who do you have to back up AP?

Me Moore is going to be gone...

It sure helps to have multiple runningbacks to win in this league. IE Giants, Patriots, Colts

How is it that he signed when the period doesnt start until tomorrow night? Or is just not "officially" signed...?

yeah - technically you are not suppose to sign, but i am not aware of the penalties and i think there are ways around it...hopefully the vikes make some splashes!!!