• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A tribute to Chug

LABS4ME

Often I sit and read posts like the one you are about to read and try to not imagine that I will be doing the same, but as I sit at my computer now, with a heavy heart, I will let you in on some of the last moments of one of the 'good ones'.

feb142008chug.jpg

Stonegate's Soo Line - "Chug"

Tomorrow Chug and I will say our final goodbyes. Though never easy to do, there comes a time when you know it's the right thing to do.... That time is now.

In Chug's early years, He was a dynamic Trial competitor. A pro athlete if you will. His accomplishments included: Derby points, A Qual. win and Open Jams. He loved to trial! He loved to train for trials and did so with zeal for close to 300 days a year. But at age 5, It was time to hang up the trial whistles and move on to the next phase of his life... my hunting buddy!

And boy did he love to hunt!!! Chug had a passion for waterfowl but gleefully took to roosters like a polished veteran. For a dog that could consistantly run competitive trials, he excelled even more in the field. His calm demeanor and almost sensitive nature was a blessing in the blind and neery a correction was made in the grassy upland fields. He would've made a great 'gentleman's dog'. He had a rare mix of drive, desire and instinct balanced by his calm, intelligent and soft side.

But those days have long since passed. Chug's body has become a broken, tired relic that is entombing his spirit. I realize he needs to be freed from it's ugly grasp.

So for tonight... we dance. We will spend time together, we will talk of past hunts... highlights of long handles on blind retrieves, roosters that thought they could give him the slip and geese that were majestically delivered. His sad eyes now show little glimmer, but the thud of his tail tells me he understands what we are talking about is something good.

Morning will come too soon. It's amazingly easy to say "I can accept the inevitible", but as the serum courses though his veins, I know in that instant as his earthly bonds are broken and his spirit is freed, That I will whimper like a puppy and not be able to except that he is gone. As the tears fall, it will hit me that I will no longer be able to place my hand over his head to line 'Lug-nuts' up for a blind retrieve or, that 'Chug-a-lug' will not be there prancing and waiting to load up every time my tail gate is down or, that 'You-ol'-timer' will never again lean on my leg with a raised paw so I can scratch his chest and belly... (a trait passed on to many of his puppies). Time will ease the pain as it has for the others that have gone before him, but for now I need to say these few words to begin the healing... Farewell, Rest Easy and Godspeed!

Good Bye "Ol' Timer"! The pleasure has truley been all mine!!!

Good Luck!

Ken

Ken, Very well stated my friend!!!! It, as you know is never easy to say good bye to your best friend of 14 years. You also know that you will be together again in a much better place.

You can rest easy with the memories that will forever be stamped in your mind of those wonderful days of not long ago.

I know that you will but I'm going to say this anyway. When the serum enters his vein as you stated and you are holding his head in your hands please start to whisper in his ear "I love you, I love you, I will miss you, I will miss you" so that the last think he hears on this earth is the voice of HIS best friend!!!!

GOOD LUCK to you and be strong!!!! I will be thinking of you!!

Ken....I don't know what to say. That is a very moving tribute to a cherished family member. I pains me every time I read about the passing of another good hunting buddy. Your friend no doubt had as fine a life as any dog could have after reading your post, I'm sure he would tell you that and no doubt has by his hard work for you.

I will certainly say a prayer tonight for you and Chug and in the morning will be thinking of the two of you. Good luck to you and your family and please give Chug a scratch on his head and wish him happier days from me. I wish you all the best in the coming days.

Ken,

Well written.

You can never have enough days with a good dog. Here's a cybertoast to Chug and all the good dogs gone but not forgotten.

All the best to and your family from mine, Ken.

Labs,

I went through the same process 3 weeks ago. Reading your post brought all those emotions flooding back. The only comfort we can find is knowing we did the right thing, the selfless thing, the humane thing. You have some tough days ahead, but some great memories to move forward with. It is ok to show some emotion.

It does hurt to see our dear buddies go.... Unconditional love from our pals... We can all see why they are called "mans best friend"

I feel for ya man... It does hurt!

the best going forward...

Joel

yes, very well written. sorry to here that its time...i myself have a 10 year old golden (that has never hunted), i cannot remember not having her as i was about 5 when we got her. she is not in good shape and i am guessin she has about a year, maybe 2 left..i am not looking forward to that day

Labs,

I'll be thinking of you and Chug. It's never easy to say farewell to a hunting buddy. People that don't hunt will never understand. They will never understand the bond between man/woman and sporting dog. When a pooch gets up a wiley old rooster in gun range, or retrieves a mallard from half way across the pond. It's such an amazing relationship. It sounds like you gave Chug the best life he could ask for. A best friend in the field and a wonderful companion at home. Thanks for sharing.

Labs, Well written, sorry to hear about chugs. Seems like just yesterday I had to put my old dog down. After reading your post I had to go out and play with my buddy again. Thought and prayers are with you.

Ken and chugs....its so difficult to read stories like these. I haven't faced one yet, but looking at my dog, I know that it will come some day. Of course it will not be easy, but time will heal the pain and you will always have the memories. Enjoy tonight.

Originally Posted By: duckbuster
When the serum enters his vein as you stated and you are holding his head in your hands please start to whisper in his ear "I love you, I love you, I will miss you, I will miss you" so that the last thing he hears on this earth is the voice of HIS best friend!!!!

Very well put.

I've never had to have a pet put down, but I feel a little bit of emotion just reading your post about your last evening with your old friend. I'll think of you two tomorrow, and the first time your future pups start to figure out those wiley old roosters, you can bet someone above is giving them a little paw.

Ken, very well written. Very moving and stirs the soul. Those are some very powerful images and memories and you will always have them. Chug has a spot in your heart and a place on the wall with photos of all those successful hunts and hardware from those trials.

The worse part of owning a dog is the day you have to say goodbye. My thought and prayers are with you tomorrow.

When the time is right and some of the pain heals I wish you the best of luck in finding another like "Chug."

I can't imagine how hard it was to share that with us Ken, and I thank you for it. Tomorrow you say goodbye to a great friend, companion and hunting buddy. The pain and sadness will eventually fade, but the memories and joy from them will last forever. I will be thinking about you and Chug tomorrow (along with Sadie and Reese who passed a few years ago). God speed to Chug..........

Ken,

It is very sad to hear about Chug. It is always a hard thing to swallow hearing about peoples best friends leaving. May God be with Chug and your family. I will be thinking of all of you.

Best wishes,

"hooks"

Ken,

That is a very moving tribute. It brought tears to my eyes. You and Chug are in my thoughts and prayers.

Shane

Well written. I got a bit choked up remembering my past dogs. It is never easy saying the final goodbye. Cherish the memories.

Thanks guys. We had a good night. He slept along side of me on the floor and actually has a little spring to his step this morning. I appreciate all that's been written. He's been a great one... I still have my 14 year old yellow and my 2 year old black and of course my Cocker, so they will help ease the pain some.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Good Luck!

Ken

Ken...very nice tribute to your partner Chug. My thoughts are with you guys. Never and easy thing.....but as mentioned cherish the memories.

Ken may you and your family always have good memories of Chug....I just had to go for walk at work to collect myself after reading this, brings back some good memories. Chug was a lucky dog to have such a good owner..

Kris

ken, great tribute. brought a huge lump in my throat. when i looked at your picture here i thought it was my lab. he looks the same. spike is his name and his hips are bad, HOW does one decide its time? i need spike to help trian my chocolate lab this fall then im going to retire spike. ive had bad dreams already about the day the seum needs to run, again how does one decide when.

Very touching, Ken. I've never even owned a dog (yet), but I can feel your pain.

Just remember the good times and know that you did the right thing!

Well written labs.

Only bad part is, is that it brings up memories of putting my old pal down 2 years ago. Still hurts. Didn't know I was able to cry but I sure found out.

It never is easy but time will heal. Hang in there.

Ken,

Sorry for you and the household, it's tough getting used to one less member of the family. I know all too well, two times this past year I went thru it.

Just know that your post brought back many fond memories for me, along with a wet eye, but made me stop and look at the pictures of my two girls gone by and made me smile and recollect a bit. I hope you find the ability to look back and smile soon too.....

To all hunting partners and 4-legged companions gone.....

Chris

Labs,

With moist eyes, Scout and his hunting buddy Jay, send their condolences to you and your family.

fwt

Quote:
HOW does one decide its time?

Glenn,

The decision is never easy and you will second guess your move when you do it. I've had to make the decision many times over and each time it's different issues to consider, but still a hard one to make.

Ask yourself and eventually your vet these questions.

* What is the 'quality of life' for your dog. Is he happy and relativley pain free. Is he eating, drinking and going to the bathroom normally.

* If he is sick, what is the treatment protocol? What is the end result? WHat are the associated costs? My feeling is when they are over 10, aggressive treatments are not warranted. The end result does little as their normal lifespan is 11-12 years of age. that is me, and others may have differing views.

* Can we buy some time with pain treatment and comfort measures. This will sometimes give you the ability to have closure by allowing you time to bring the dog home.

* Is your dog showing you that he is 'done'. Many times you will notice a great change in the dog's personality. You can sense that the end is drawing near. You may have 'good' moments mixed in with the bad, but overall the decline is great and you'll know it's the right thing to do.

In the case of bad hips, talk to your vet and look at some different meds to ease the pain and inflammation in his joints. Many of them are successful such as Rimadyl and Previcox. You may be able to 'buy some time' by treating him now. If you want a pup to start hunting with your older dog, now is the time. At 10 you can hope for 1 maybe 2 years of hunting out of your old dog and if you wait much longer the window of opportunity will slip by.

Hope all works out well for you and your decisions..

Good Luck!

Ken

Ken hadn't checked in here in a few days, sorry for your loss! I still miss my best bud and it was a year in February. I'm sure you gave Chug many great years and I know he returned the favor many fold.

Take care and good luck!

Labs, good points on how to tell when. It was exactly how it happend for my old girl. The biggest question for the Vet from me was "Is she suffering"? couldn't have that. After 14 years of her always being there I couldn't stand to see here suffer.

I am very sorry to here about your dog. From the sounds of it most of us have had and lost dogs. Out of curiousity when does one know it is time to get another partner?

You just never run out of them! grin.gif I don't know if I'll ever get back to a one dog house... I keep threatening for it to happen, But I'm sure there will for the most part be two around.

Good Luck!

Ken