• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How fast do you drive in the lake?

My old man always told me 15mph was the magic #. Last night I was in the house twards the north end of west rush and a full size van went between my house and anouther house (maybe 100yds apart) at about 35mph! 3 times! I was about ready to follow him out and smack him over the head! mad.gif Anyway I know 35mph is way too fast! How fast do you guys drive?

I usually keep it pretty slow to avoid making too much underice wake ahead of me. But i regularly see dummies out there doin 30-60mph across the ice. Its both rude and just plain stupid

I too have seen quite a bit of careless driving on the ice. I myself try to keep er around 10-15 mph.. .or slower if the conditions warrent.

The ice is so rough I dont know why anybody would put there vehicle through that anyway! Going over 15mph I mean

same for me. i am usually going 10-15mpg. there is no need to go any faster and on top of that if they need to stop, they are not going to be able to and lose control.

10-15 is the responsible speed. Too fast and the ice bows with the wake and causes air bubbles to form under the ice, in turn weakening the ice. The sad part is that it only takes 1 idiot doing something stupid to ruin it for the rest of us.

Ya know, I drive home from work to FL doing 70 to 80- mph just to stay even with the others...but on the ice I have no desire to go faster then 15... Looks like Dozers old mand was onto something...

I try not to drive IN the lake.

I usually just drive a hair over idle speed, and keep my eyes on the ice and on other pedestrians. Ice should never be taken for granted as safe.

The worst is when someone comes ballhauling through a crowded area at night. Ive been lucky enough, but ive seen other peoples tipups hit. They're not that expensive, but who wants their gear ran over ya know? And i think too many people are unaware of the wake that is created under the ice, thats why people still drive through when there's a foot of ice, cuz they drive too fast...

10 mph. Like someone else said, the fish ain't going anywhere. I imagine lots of the speed stuff is alcohol fueled.

I know a couple kids (highschool) that race across the ice. I have seen them going at 60 or 70 mph. I tried to tell them about the wave that they are pushing in front of them, but they don't listen.

i'm about the same around the metro but i would have admit when i goto the large lakes in minnesota where you have 6-10 miles to drive i catch my self doing 30 mph or so. it doesnt hurt anything this time of year. to many people watching ice road trucker

I guess Im not really concerned about breaking through this time of year either but still there is no need to go that fast. First off would it kill a guy to move over 200yds and go around a group of houses rather that blowing through them? Second, it is rougher than s*&% out there! Why would you do that to your vehicle? Third, what if this vehicle got a little squirly out there? It going to be pretty hard to straiten out before you hook one of those rock hard drifts and flip that POS van on its lid right into me!!! blush.gif

about 15, well i dont drive, but i tell my dad (non-outdoorsman) to slow down sometimes..but tommorrow i take my drivers test and i am planning on passing and i will be a teen that wont go over 15mph on the hardwater

it doesnt matter what time of yr it is.ppl shouldnt be doing mach 1 on the ice.the fish are not going anywhere.its just common sense to drive slow.if the roads r nice and smooth the fastest i drive is 20 but the way the roads r now its hard to do 15.

Never over 20, there is no need and why take chances.. If your fishing on Flake though and you see a full size white van with a boarded window come on the lake only to spin out over and over again 100yrds from your house, make sure you tell him he's #1! his favorite spot to park is by the point between 2-3 on the south side, only have 1 guess what he does while parked there (not fishing)...

Maximum 20 mph,don't need to go any faster on the ice.Lots of good points on this subject.

15-20 mph. as i drive car if i m drivin off the beaten path into deeper snow or drift i wld go 25 mph without get stuck.. i know i need to get BFT..

no more than 10, usually just idle speed for me. OK, I admit I was one of those brain dead kids racing across the ice about 15 years ago, now I've graduated to curmudgeon status now as I cuss at the speed demons....

I usually only drive my wheeler on the ice because it helps me justify the payment I am making every month. That said, with my wheeler I will go about 40 mph at the most. Usually off the roads that most vehicles travel. Anybody think that is too fast?

With anything over a 8"-10" of ice I would say you can go as fast as you want on a wheeler, as long as you arnt buzzing past people and houses.

Originally Posted By: Craig Plummer
55, faster if I can get the traction

I used to have a little Fiero.... that thing could hit 70 on good ice..... then hit the ebrake and start spinning grin.gif... of course this wasn't a lake where there were houses all over.... or anyone actually fishing for that matter grin.gif

it all depends on what i drive out to the lake. If its my lambo and i have the chains on her tires sometimes i can get up to about 90 or so but if i drive my pick-em-up truck only about 87 or 88mph

on the bear about a month ago i got a little buzzed up tip up fishin and i was flying around the lake at about 90- but it was on the side of the lake no one was fishin