• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Decoy Size Preference

cherokee

Many of the old stories I have heard include the taking of big pike on small to tiny size decoys. Just curious as to what size decoy some of your largest northerns have come in to (speared or just watched).

good topic. I have always used the Bear Creek Decoys, the ones that look like northerns. I have had a few smaller ones, but never really had much luck with them.

I use those as well. Very good decoy.

The decoys I am talking/thinking about are the little red and white ones that have been carved by hand. Maybe 2-3" in length. Again, these stories go back to my grandfathers day when he speared 50+ years ago. The largest northerns they speared usually had a lot of little sunnies in their stomachs.

my main decoys are also bear creek. i occasionally use a handmade salamander deke, or a perch and hookless red & white daredevil. thats about my decoy selection.

oh ya, thats right id like to get my hands on one of those sunfish decoys i have seen on other forums!

I like a big lively 12"+ decoy, side by side with Duey's pike special 7" or a red and white 9" Bear Creak. I do have a sweet crappie decoy made by a Lori Duetsch (sp?) that is super nice

Does anyone use a decoy with a blade that spins behind the decoy? I like those, not sure who makes them but the spinner really bring them in at times.

I think it's time to start a new hobbie and carve some decoys for next year. A sunfish, crappie & whitefish will be on the drawing board.

I would think the colors that attract pike in summer/Fall like fire tiger would work well on a decoy.

The biggest northern I had come in came in on a 6" bass decoy painted red,green & yellow.

I also Like to use my 9inch bear creek red and white, with a 12 inch live sucker decoy. Works good for me

Originally Posted By: cherokee
I think it's time to start a new hobbie and carve some decoys for next year. A sunfish, crappie & whitefish will be on the drawing board.

If you get a chance, go to the library and check out "Carving Traditional Fish Decoys" by Anthony Hillman. It has patterns and instructions for 17 different decoys, including sunfish, crappie and whitefish.

I just used one of the patterns to make a Coho salmon.

The bigger the better in live decoy for me and 6 - 9 inch wood decoy with a double twister tail ( white or yellow ) atatched to the tail is deadly for me.

BassNspear I tried the pop can trick you suggested at the get to gator and didnt have much luck but I think it would really work good in the early season. or maybe they dont like pepsi

hang a pop can instead of the decoy.

Diet dew it is. But cant remember the last time a big toothy was worried about a diet, must be for the taste.

LOL. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THATS THE DUMBEST IDEA I'VE EVER HEARD!! IF I WAS USING THAT AS A DECOY AND ONE OF MY FRIENDS CAME OUT TO THE HOUSE AND SAW IT I'D BE GOING FOR A SWIM DOWN THE SPEAR HOLE. HA HA HA HA WHAT A JOKE!!

Originally Posted By: elwood
hang a pop can instead of the decoy.

Diet dew it is. But cant remember the last time a big toothy was worried about a diet, must be for the taste.

Diet seems logical.

With people the big ones are always drinking diet soda. grin.gif

you may think its funny, but ive done it with a micelob lite can and seen 3-4 fish in a short period of time. biggest being 3 lbs. took it off for fear of losing it and have it laying on the bottom of the lake.

Glenn that would be a tough one especially if it was your last one. Coult always spear it and bring it up really fast.

Thanks for the title of the book. I will try to find it.

• 10 months later...

Just got my very first decoy today, A 10" Bear Creek Northern in Natural color, anyone have luck with this paticular deak? and I paid $16 for it is that good or did a get ripped off?

Congrats on your new decoy.

BnS is a big fan of those decoys in Red + White and Yellow + Red. They have a nice slow swimming action.

The price is about right. The Fllet Farm by me sells them for about the same price.

I am a huge fan of these. Orange and Yellow is by far the best decoy color i have used in a long time. Always seems like you are going to see some fish with red and white, but everyone uses red and white. I like to be different, and have had alot of luck with this.

A 10" Bear Creek Northern in Natural color, anyone have luck with this paticular deak? and I paid $16 for it is that good or did a get ripped off?

Price seems about right.

The only fish I saw last weekend was with that same size and style of decoy.

I dont think you got ripped off with that decoy. I think they are right in the ball park. There is going to be some places that sell it for less, but its not huge numbers at all!

If you get a chance, go to the library and check out "Carving Traditional Fish Decoys" by Anthony Hillman. It has patterns and instructions for 17 different decoys, including sunfish, crappie and whitefish.

I have few exta copies of the book

Many times I have used the small 4" pike decoy red/white and flourescent, from bear creek, heat the tail up and bend the tail more so it spins in a tight circle and keep jerking it. Have gotten alot of nice fish that way. You just gotta be fast with the spear. Something to try when the traditional way of the slow spin don't work.

BNS do you have any problems with the top Eye screw coming loose mine is loose and wont tighten up thinking I should epoxy it or something, any ideas

thanks

i have not had that problem, but my dad was working on getting his stuff ready yesterday and noticed it, we super glued it and it worked great today