• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

YOTE HUNTING LAND

mnhunter79

hey everyone.

i have a slight problem. i have too much invested in coyote huntin gear, and for the life of me, cannot get a coyote to come in or answer me. there are tracks everywhere though. so if anyone is willing to give up some secrets, my ears are open. i usually hunt the new ulm / lake crystal area. im always open to try new spots if anyone wants to go.

lake crystal. i have permission for a couple spots south of lake crystal along the river. lots of tracks but produces nothing. i dont get it. last year was much better than this year.

could it be that you thinned out the "dumb" ones last year? are you hunting areas that are getting pounded by people running dogs? I was considering driving down to some state land down around new ulm on Monday, but that is beginning to change (visitors and company for the weekend, etc.)

Do you sit in the same spots everytime? have you tried setting up in a different place? Are the landowners still hearing them at their place?

Sorry, no answers, just more questions. That is what I love about coyote hunting, it is not like you see on tv or on videos. Change things up and keep after them. Maybe give them a couple weeks off???

didnt shoot any in these spots, no other hunters that i know of hunt those spots. got a pack of em to howl back one night but thats it. i use the lil' dog, red dessert howler and a rabbit distress call. the distress calls have never produced anything for me, the howlers are the only thing that works (sometimes)

do you use the howler (especially the red desert) with the "horn" on, or just the mouth piece? I have howled back at night time with the horn thing on and it shuts them right up. I have howled back and forth with just the mouth piece.

next time you head out there mess it up, sit in a bad loction, if it is 20 yards inside the trees, do it.....they might not want to cross an open field because they have been shot at before.

If possible set up so you're down wind also. Although it can be tempting at times, don't over-call. You can chase them into the next county.

Give them a different call the next time you're out there. If they hear the same thing time and time again, they will associate that with a negative experience and not come in.

There is a chance they have come into your calls, just not within sight. I've had this happen to me as well as other hunters that have posted the same findings.

I'm heading out around the Le Sueur and Henderson areas the weekend following the full moon to see if we can call some in. The problem is I have competition out there that insists in sitting on the road with their distress calls and howlers and call from their vehicles.

Any respectable Coyote hunter will never do this.

that's not good to hear LEP, I was looking at some of the state land down ther for Monday....Maybe I will search a little further south and west.....

west is better, i think. went out by marshall pheasant hunting this past fall, hunted 3 spots and kicked out 4 coyotes. gonna try over by tracy, mn this weekend. two were spotted in crp grass on our private land. hope that is there home turf and they will still be around.

pbw,

some of the state land might be ok. I've seen the poor calling habits near my house as well as one particualr area I hunt. There is a large management area by St. Thomas that I've tried a couple years ago, but had no luck. It doesn't mean they aren't there. This area is just west of St Thomas on County Road 28. Careful of the knuckle head that lives in the frist house to the east from the management area (if it's the same guy). He snapped one day because his german shepard was picking a fight with my black lab so I threw some rocks into the dirt, but not at the dog.

He cleared the 150 yards across that field in no time flat. While we were exchanging words, he pulled his jacket back to flash a handgun. This was prior to the conceal carry law was passed.

There's some other management areas to the south and west of St. Thomas that I'm positive hold 'yotes, but I haven't made it out there yet.

thanks lep, i will be on my toes. I generally shy away from farms and dogs near state lands especially when they start barking back and carrying on. that usually doesn't work out too well in the end. On private land, I usually ask the that the dog is restrained or contained

MNHUNTER email me [email protected] always looking for new people to hunt with. Do a lot of hunting in the forest lake area. We got a real healthy coyote population up in this area, only met a few guys in the area that hunt up here and most of them only go out once a year.

went to several spots, First spot called in two yotes both came in completely back wards of what they should and made my buddy, bolted before he could get a shot. had a couple talking back to us at the next spot, couldnt seal the deal. After that the wind picked up and we quit for the day.

sounds like you have a decent population of yotes around. went west a bit this past weekend and fought the wind and got nothing. still tryin to figure out what types of calls to do, when to do them and how much. nothing is workin this year, they got me baffled.

nice job guys! thats the only good kind of yote! hopefully thats me this coming weekend, my luck has to change sooner or later.

good pics.

i know. was just out callin before with the full moon tomorrow, got a pack to answer. and then the full monn eclips came, waitin that out to get back out there and get after em'

sorry i never got back to your email, my emails all goofed up we should get together i got a buddy in owatonna whos done it for years and those are actually pics of his photobucket he wants to do some hunting.

ya sounds good. when works for you? i work 8-5 mon -fri, so weekend are the only time i get to hunt.

one of theese weekends. schedules a little hectic with the weather warming up, we both have dogs that need to be hunted real hard in order to be ready for the hunts the spring.

went out yote huntin tonight with the full moon to a farmers pasture, used two of my open reed howlers, rabbit distress and used my new diaphram howler to do most of the howling. pretty much just used the other two for different sounds. it took about a half hour of howling but a pack did finally start howling back. while i was howling back to them, i happened to look to my right about half way across the pasture and there it stood, eyes locked on ME. tried to lip squeak him closer, but he wanted nothing to do with that. i think he seen me howling at the other pack. thats why they call it hunting and not killin' i guess.

but on the other hand i was kinda leary about the diaphram calls, but im glad i got one.

JUST A LITTLE HUNTIN' CHAT FOR YA!!