• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2007-2008 Season Wrap Up!!!!!!!!!!!

bassNspear

Well as you all know, its getting to be that time of year where the spearing season is going to be coming to a close. Its been a great year for spearing around the state of mn.

It was very exciting for me to have this new fourm that we started right before the season. It was nice to meet all the new people here, along with getting out on the lake, and enjoying this awesome sport. The Get to Gator was a blast, and helping new people was awesome as well. It was great to take people out and teach them the how the sport works, along with teaching new things as well.

Lets here what everyone else has for thoughts and experiences that you have went through. Its interesting to see what others have to say, and what you have learned.

i didnt manage to get out to a spear house this year im kinda bummed i didnt! i guess theres always next year!

This was a season for the books. Nearly all of the lakes we fished were tremendous. Nice pike, nice pike and more nice pike. Unfortunately the hot spots will be once again cooled to a fishless body of water. Lots of winterkill from one lake to another and we see the cyclic nature of shallow waters. But what a year!! Houses are coming off tomorrow, and we will likely turn our efforts to panfish. Still lovin every minute of it!!! Brent

it was a good year. dont think im going to get out spearing but 1-2 more time. im kind bummed didnt get to the get-to-gatorbut next year.

just make a plan that your going to make it there. It was a great time out there to meet everyone. i will have all the plans up alot early this year, so we call can plan for it.

sounds good bns. like i said i had unexpected over nite company its kind of hard just to up and leave and say goodbye.

i understand. We will have it again next year forsure. I know there was alot of people that wanted to come that were unable to attend.

Try to stay away from super bowl crazy.gifSunday. I was wondering if there would have been more people if they weren’t glued to the TV. And not to choose a stormy super cold day. Maybe even have two get togethers? grin.gif

Thanks to all who shared the passion of spearing. This forum is awsome to say the least. thanks BNS for getting it rolling along.

The get to gator was a blast also got to meet differnt folks from around the state that shared knowledge,experiences,laughter,and just a plain old good time cant wait for next years bash.

as for the season of spearing it was pretty good even thou I didnt get out as much early as I wanted and the few miss haps along the way were evened out by the fish and experiences that I got along the way.

this sport is very addictive and I'm stuck to it.

A resort owner from big Sauk Lake called me today and said there was a film crew that did a segment on spearing. It will be on TV this fall some time. I can’t remember the specifics (senior moment) but he is going to send me the info. I’ll post it when I receive it. Sounded like some big pike were speared.

It sounds like it will be a good show to watch.

man, i would have loved to do something like that. I bet it was a great time. That lake has alot of monster pike in it as well.

I was thinking of also doing 2 different Get To Gators next year. One at the start of the year, and one at the end of the year. I know its a whole year away, but i would like to get stuff planned sometime in September, so everyone can get there stuff lined up and be ready for the get together.

I didn't see a lot of fish this year, but it was still fun. I managed enough for a few meals and a batch for pickling. I did see one in the mid 30" range that I let swim by.

This year I have only used a live decoy once, that was at the get to gator(thanks merkman). I mostly used my homemade ones, just wanted to see if they would bring anything in.

I was also thinking about maybe having two get to gators next year. Maybe one north and one south or something like that.

We are going to have two of then next year. We will have on towards the north, and have one in the south.

well i set up on the horseshoe chain for the last go round spearing for me this year. results are as follows, had such a good spot not even the nords new where it was. seen 2 eyes, 1 bass and lotz of sunfish that wouldnt bite. now the spears are resting in the rafters till dec 1 2008.

I'm going to try and get out monday ,if we dont work and one time next saturday.

I'm already planning for next year and just about finished with a new spear shack I'll post some picks as soon as its done.

i think im done for the year, i just dont think that im going to get out with boat shows.

I have to hang it up for the year too.

I wanted to get up to Rainy this weekend, and we left Friday night expecting to, but 35W was like glass before we even made it to Hinkley. We toughed it out for a while but after seeing accident after accident and too much traffic we turned it around at Sandstone and went home.

Next Friday I will be sitting outside in a t-shirt eating authentic Mexican food in sunny Tucson AZ, while the locals call me crazy for not wearing a parka in the winter!!!

I have had a wonderful first year of spearing!!!!!! The feeling I got seeing the first fish on the big screen was awesome, even though it was not a northern. The memory of standing in the middle of the lake with no one around screaming WOOOO HOOOOO after I speared my first northern will be with me forever!!! Being able to use my brother’s hand built decoys to try out a sport my Uncle and Grandfather lived all their lives is hard to put into words. I think of all of them allot when I am out in the spear house, it really brings me back home. It has been great to meet with all of you at the Get-to-Gator. I hope to meet more of you at the banquet on the 8th, and I am looking forward to next years Get-to-Gators!!! Yes both of them!!

To everyone here on the forums, I just want to say, it is really cool to have people that are willing to teach others about spearing!!! It is a testament to everyone here to be able to keep these forums a positive place to learn and share spearing. Keep up the good work everyone!!!

I bought a cheap house and went minimal on everything this year because I didn’t know if I would like this sport or not. Well all I can say is I am now hooked… er… I mean speared!!!

I hope to meet all of you on the lake some day!!!

Thanks again.

merkman

Well, all in all it was a pretty good year. Didn't get out as much as I would've liked (isn't that always the case?) and certainly wanted to go to the Get To Gator but unfortunately it was my father's 88th birthday. Maybe next year, I would certainly be interested in an early one.

Saw 144 pike (yes, I keep count) and took 5 for eating and pickling (26, 27, 27, 29 and 33) biggest I seen was 39. Had a blast with the Whitefish, though!

Heading out Wednesday to MT for the annual, and that will be it for me. Then it's time to finish decoys for the Gathering.

Hopefully I'll have some photos to share!

--Mark

I'll still get out Saturday if all goes well.

Merkman, I to think of my grandfather when spearing. The spear I have belonged to him. He gave me his spear house and spear for helping him shingle his house (after he could no longer spear). I gave up spearing for about 10 years. Gave the house to my brother who still uses it. Kept the spear and built myself a house last year. Spearing is awesome.

well I didnt make it out monday but I got a little more finished on next years house.It still needs some finish work. I may possibly break it in next weekend.

I pumped for next year this seasons not over but I can't wait for next year.

100_1637.jpg

100_1635.jpg

100_1636.jpg

With the spearing season coming to a end, it was a year to remember. All the great times out on the lake, where it all started with our trip to Andrusia in Dec. We had great fishing up there this year, like we do every other year.

The Time where I went out with Stiffy, heuy and the guys to Little Long lake, getting me meet everyone for the first time was great as well. The Get TO Gator was a day to remember, how cold it was, and yet, merkman was able cook that catfish like it was 90 out side. To be able to get people together and hand out where you can place a face on a name is what its all about.

I am excited to see what next year is going to bring. With having our own spearing forum, I have to believe that its only going to get bigger and bigger as the years go on. Planning the Get TO Gators early for next year, where we are going to be able to have 2 through the year.

Also, to be able to share tactics with what everyone else is doing, towards what I was doing on the lake. Its great to talk with other people to see what others are doing, where you are able to change some things to have a better chance of getting some fish.

Thanks to everyone for the great year that we had together, and i cant wait for next year where we can spend more time together.

I sure like your house. I've got 4 thumbs when it comes to building from scratch. You got these plans in your head or on paper? Just curious. I've got an old handmade spear and speared years ago, but just need a house. I'd like to get back into it. Anyone know of a spear house they wanna get rid of?

ROOKSSTER I built this out of stuff that I had layin around (I'm in the construction buss) and no plans needed. I might be putting my other house up 4-sale after season I post it on the for sale stuff forum if I do and thanks for the compliment.

welcome to the forums