• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vexilar repair question

mattkimk

Question

I have a FL-8 that I have had for about six years and the display is now bouncing. What I mean is that in a circular motion the display is going up and down 2 feet in each direction and it does not stop. Does anybody know what might be causing this and what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks

9 answers to this question

The first thing that comes to mind is low battery. Sometimes, after age, when you think the battery is fully charged it just doesn't have the strength it once was. 1 volt is a lot when we're only talking 12v dc.

Contact Vex's customer service. They are not happy until you are happy.

I'm with Eric(boiler) On this.. try a new battery first!... if that doesn't cut it(and who doesnt need a back up battery anyway) you may need to clean the brushes in the unit.

To take what Deitz (Deitz) said even farther, brush cleaning on a vex is a relatively simple task and will take about 5 minutes at the most.

On Vex's web site, or if you have your manual, there are fairly simple instructions for this task. Normally fouled brushes will make the readout "Dim" and the colors not contrast as much, but they certainly could be your problem. If brush cleaning doesn't solve the problem you will still be pleased with how much brighter the readout is.

Yeah I will try a new battery. If that doesn't fix it I guess I can convince the wife that an fl-18 is needed now.

If you don't want to do the brush cleaning, I think Dark Cloud just used compressed air from a can for computer keyboard cleaning and wiped the inside of his display screen before replacing and it made a big difference. As was said do this and get a new batttery and you will be very pleased,

Be careful with the canned compressed air. Keep a close eye on it if you have teenage kids. That is the newest thing they are using to get a high. It even has a name already "dusting". The kids think it is safe because it is just air. WRONG! The CFC in the can cuts oxygen to the brain and can lead to death. Sorry to hijack the post but anytime I see the canned air I like to let people know.