• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

***** Slabfest 08 specifics ******

muc33

Chris or Borch, I have a couple buddies coming up can you post the specifics for when, where, what, who, how, why, why not, ect. 8 hour journey and just want to make sure I get them to the right place as I am doubting I can make it. Thanks.

Slabfest has been cancelled. Just Kidding. Just do me a favor and save some slabs for me. Coming up the last of Feb. first of March for my first time to the lake. Can't wait. Have fun and good luck to all at slabfest. Hope you don't get the -90 wind chills of this past weekend. WOW!!!

Duane

Feb 23rd - Slabfest - MAP: Upper Red Lake-Waskish MN

Hosted by: Chris Hanson

Meet at Hillman's between 11am and noon.

Does Slabfest (and Walleyes too!) on Upper Red Lake really need an introduction? Upper Red has fast become one of the top ice fishing destinations in MN, if not the Upper Midwest. Trophy crappies, pike, and walleye.

Due to the nature of crappies on URL, we’ll be targeting them in the late afternoon hours into the evening. The walleyes usually work the same schedule the crappies do. During the day, we’ll be firing up the grills and cooking some food on the ice.

Last winter’s Slabfest was a good time and this years will be much the same. Bring your drop axle shack, book a sleeper, or show up for the day with your portable houses. I’m planning on spending the entire weekend on the ice, and I know many others will as well.

The tentative meeting place will be my ice shack once again, which is located at Roger’s Campground. We’ll start cooking at 1pm. Maps and directions will be provided once I get my shack on the ice where the crappies are biting.

I plan to scout out a good bite ahead of time, so we may be fishing at Roger’s, or we may venture across the lake. The plan is to put everyone on fish and we have to adjust to where the fish are at.

I thought it was out of Hillmans,now Im really confused.This is no jokeing matter!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

That write up came off the Ice Leaders site for the gathering. It's actually last season's write up based on my memory. At that time the meeting spot was up in the air as we tried to track down a good bite for folks. Most likely meeting spot will be out of Hillman's around 11-noon. Part of the hold up on exact location is it'll depend how our scouting trip goes this weekend. Since most of the fish we've been able to track down the past two winters have been further north it's very likely we'll be meeting at Hillman's.

I'm sure Chris will check in later with more details.

Thanks!This is the fist time Im going to be able to make it to Sabfest so please keep us updated!

i cant wait i am counting down the days tell i get to red. i took next week off and will be gettin to red that tuesday or wednsday so if anyone wants to meet up friday night or saturday morning. ill be after those slabs and hope to find a spot and give my 2 cents on where to start off slab fest. this will be slab fest #2 for me the first time i think it was renamed "stuckfest" everyone got stuck gettin off the lake, had a blast tho. i hope nothin changes to much whole i am up there since i cant update myself on FM, wow as i think about it what am i gonna do a whole week with out FM haha

iceman

Hey Guys!

I really should apologize right off the bat for not getting more info up sooner. You always think your fishing trip is aways off and here it is, less than 2 weeks away already! Yikes! Winter is cruising by fast.

Here are the details...

Date: February 23, 2008

Where: Upper Red Lake

Meeting Place: Hillmans/Tall Tales

Meeting Time: 11am-Noon

We'll all meet at Hillmans and head out as a group promptly at noon. I have no clue where we will be fishing at yet, I honestly haven't set foot on URL yet this winter. Jeff 'Borch' Borchardt and I are heading up this weekend (Fri-Mon) for 3 full, solid days of fishing. Last winter we struck gold on our scouting mission. Hoping to do the same this year but, heck, its fishing, who knows what will happen. Darren 'Dtro' Troseth and I will be up Thursday night before Slabfest and fish all day Friday in an attempt to get back on fish, or still try to find them. Once Saturday comes, we'll bring all our knowledge and reports together and try to get the group on some fish.

We'll have a couple small propane grills on the ice for cooking food. Bring something to cook if you want to.

Once the fishing is done, we'll all probably head into Tall Tales to swap stories. Slabfest is really just a bunch of guys going fishing, hanging out, and having some fun.

2 years in a row now we have been dumped on with snow that weekend so be prepared! grin.gif

Any other questions... don't hesitate to e-mail me. I'll do my best to respond.

Iceman, slabfest-stuckfest what's in a name?? Oh yeah, I remember that night. Cold, snow, and the only reason I didn't get stuck is the tracks everyone else left. What a hoot. That's what it's all about.

This is slabfest #3 for me and I can't wait.

See ya up there!!!!

Thanks for your help muc33. Your one heck of a great fishing bud. Now I know where to be to join in on all the fun. We will bring back pics for ya. Thanks again for taking me to get the fish house. Nice to get out of town for a bit. See you Sat on the lake.