• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Welcome to Upper Red -90

Random guy

According to NOAA and the The Weather Channel at 5:28am this morning (Sunday am)we hit -90 below zero wind chill.

I have lived in the ice box my whole life but thats just cold. crazy.gif

Just went out to get the paper and walked apox. 100 yards and froze you know what off!

Came inside fired up the wood stove, and checked out the tv channel. -25 with -80 windchill That is why my coat froze as soon as I stepped outside. The dogs didn't even come out of their dog house to see who was outside.

Stay inside today and keep warm! The fish will be there next weekend people!

sounds great....i'll be heading up tomorrow morning...i hope it gets a little colder...thats not quite cold enough for me!

I sure hope those dogs are in a heated dog house. my dog only stays outside for less than a minute when it gets this cold.

wow....Thats just plain 'ol cold. It's fun to watch a cold front hit the east coast and temps get to single digits and the news plays it off like its the end of the world. Below zero and windchill is everyday life here in Minnesota.

Down here in Duluth it is not much better. That's why I'm sitting here looking at FM at 11:00 AM on a Sunday.

Quote:
Below zero and windchill is everyday life here in Minnesota.

This WAS everyday life in Minnesota 10yrs ago. IMHO winters here are lame now. I remember it being single digits, below freezing and redicuolous wind chills for the entire month of January and even into Feb. I remember being on the ice day after Thanksgiving and driving out by Christmas. I'll admit it is cold right now, but this will be gone in a day or two and it will be above normal temps again.

I planned on going up there yesterday and was glad I didnt because once I stepped outside, one word...brrr

I remember being told to get ouyside and play when it was -10-15. Wind wasn't howlin like that but during a normal winter when I was a kid a streak of 7-8 days of -teens was not unusual,still had to go out and play! ole

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

So Jon..

Will we need extensions when we come up this weekend? \:D

Came up for a weekend of fishing this past weekend with my dad and brothers. It seems every time we plan a trip anywhere, the weather is a factor. We had 2 portables. Saturday morning at 7:00 AM was not looking too bad. We loaded up the truck and headed to get a road pass. No sooner after we put the truck in park and began walking to the office building, the wind and snow began blowing. Man, did it ever blow! (Does anyone know what the actual wind speeds were up there on Saturday?)

Since we were all ready to at least try fishing(out of portables), we decided to venture out on the ice road. As you may know if you were trying to brave the weather on Saturday morning, you really could only see about 10 feet in front of your truck.

I drove my truck out 2 miles and then totally lost my bearings because of the blowing snow and wind. We decided to still try fishing, so I pulled off the main road about 75 yards. Since it was so cold out, I did not think to ask someone to walk in front of the truck so that I did not drive into any of those deceiving snow drifts. My front end dropped down into a big snow drift and there we sat......stuck in drift that was 50 feet away from a permanent fish house.(I swear that my plan was not to go anywhere near another house, since I get upset when people plop a house that close to me.)

At this point, it was either get unstuck and go back 3 hours to home or set up the portables.(in the snow and wind) My brothers and dad said to just try this spot, since we could not see anywhere else to go and it was safest to stay put until the wind hopefully died down.

I walked over and explained to the fellow in the permanent how my plan was never to come this close. He was a very understanding man. (If you are on here, thanks!!)

...So there we sat in portables..... dumb, dumb, dumb!! I am for sure going to get a wheelhouse for next season. The sides in the house did not stop whipping all day. We ended up catching 2 perch and missed a few fish under the ice. There were lots of fish on the vexilars but they just did not want to bite. A buddy of mine in a sleeper caught one 25 inch walleye and a 29 inch pike in a house of 3 people out there for the weekend.

All in all, this weekend was bitterly cold. I love the outdoors and the cold, but fishing Red on Saturday in portables was way over the top of my comfort level. We quit fishing at 3:30 and went back to the cabin for Chili that had been in the crock pot all day.

What an adventure..

A few years ago a couple buddies and I thought it would be fun to hit Red during first ice. Between three of us we had one four-wheeler and two portables. When we got to Hudecs in the morning where it was a balmy nine degrees. We headed out fishing, about three miles, and set up or houses. The temprature did nothing but drop all day, my beer was freezing sitting right next to me. Come dark we had had enough and started packing up. Guess what? Four-wheeler wont start. Electric start only, no kick or pull start. So there we sit freezing. I set my house back up knowing it might be a long night. Luckly we flaged down a couple of guys going by and they were nice enough to tow us and our gear back to Hillmans were we got a jump for the wheeler. Then we had to ride the highway from Hillmans to Hudecs, very very cold. When we got to Hudecs we found out the tempratures had dropped to eleven below and Hudecs keeps the tempratures in thier rooms set at about thirty! I dont think they even had heat. Anyway, the dumb things a guy does for a fish. Sure is fun though!

I work in a large Twin City hospital in engineering. Today, I worked 3pm to 11 pm, the warmest of the three shifts today. My boilers burned about 1800 gallons of #6 fuel oil in eight hours. I,m glad I don't have to pay the fuel bill. Coooollldd!

Saturday night I decided that I had better plug the diesel in if we wanted to go home sunday. I left the generator running all night. It ran out of gas at about 4am and I had to go fill it. All I can say is, it wasn't a pleasant experience. At least the truck started, even though it did complain a bit.

We needed extensions two weeks ago to get through the rough ice and the wheel house holes. I would imagine you would be right up to the nuts without an extension on bare ice - might be able to get by if you are in a portable or outside and no rough ice. Bring it along. It doesn't take up any space and can be put on in a flash.

Gotcatfish's Quote...

This WAS everyday life in Minnesota 10yrs ago. IMHO winters here are lame now. I remember it being single digits, below freezing and redicuolous wind chills for the entire month of January and even into Feb. I remember being on the ice day after Thanksgiving and driving out by Christmas. I'll admit it is cold right now, but this will be gone in a day or two and it will be above normal temps again.

I imagine you had to go 12 miles uphill both to and from school in the old days too. You know, back when it was minus 40 for eight months on end, and in the summer, the eagles were afraid of the mosquitoes you had to put up with...

If it was everyday life in MN 10 yrs ago how did I falls set a record? ;\)\:\) Dang thats cold!

My Old man is the same way, back when we used to have real winters, blah blah blah, yet some of the records for warmest days in Jan/Feb were back in the 40's and 50's. I've worked outside for the past ten years and this is the coldest winter I've experienced framing houses.

Lucky you weren't framing 12 years ago, thats when Tower set the Minnesota record at, -60F...not including windchchchiiiilllll!!!!!! crazy.gif

Here is a welcome to Upper Red Lake during the cold snap. Proof you can film in -30 below.

Just a little fun. ;\)