• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report for 2/7 - 2/8

Shoogs32

We went out of the South end, bite was good for walleyes. No glimpse of a crappie yet for me. 3 guys caught approx. 25 eyes on Thursday before dark, ate our limit. Caught another 5 keepers throughout the night into Friday morning getting our final one at 6 am. Fish seemed scared of jigging, so all eyes were caught on dead sticks and rattle reels with fat heads and plain colored hooks. Two day total for walleyes was 42, with 3 decent perch being caught, realesed 2 small northerns.

not to stir the pot or anything but I thought anyone was not allowed to keep more than 2 upper red lake walleyes per person after you eat 2 walleyes then keep more afterwards? I'm confused now.

I really hate when people start jumping to conclusions on all of these forums saying "you took more than the limit, or i thought they had to be this long to keep" we all need to just relax and enjoy fishing. We all know the rules and abide by them, get off each others backs.

That is correct, the date changes at midnight. We caught our next limit between 1 am and 7 am the next day. So we were totally legal!

My wifes uncles got up there last night, hope the weather doesn't hurt his bite. I am heading back Tues-Wends. for another quick trip, hopefully better crappie reports.

"Not to stir the pot or anything"? What were you trying to do then? Are you unsure of the regulations? If so, pick up the regulations book and read it instead of trying to mimic a CO.

just a reminder if you have your limit and you eat them you have to keep the remains of the fish till the next day.so if you catch another limit at 1 am.and you still got the remains of the other fish in the house you r illegal.

As simple as the regs may be to some, there is obviously still confusion (Look back at all the posts). Thats the beauty of the forum, so everyone can get on the same page regarding regs. If someone has questions I can't think of a better spot to ask them than FM.

some people you are, i was not being mean or anything. i was just confused of what i read here and then in the other posts in other topics. But thanks for the clarification to some of you that said the positives. thanks.

To clarify for everyone, we went to the resort and ate Thursday's walleyes and disposed of carcasses. We got back to fish house later that evening and set all rattle reels after midnight and caught Friday's limit to take home. I did not feel offended Quackaddict, but I hope this clarifies what we did was legal. Thanks

Yeah most rentals should have updates posted in their shacks of the possesion limit=daily limit change. It went into effect the 12th of January. We were up there the 9th thru the 13th. So we got that last window. We had 1 meal and just to avoid legal issues we got the carcasses off the lake before the 12th. We did have a discussion or two on the legalities over the course of that weekend... You definately have to do some homework before heading up.

In modern day regs.... Minnesota's possession limit on all species has always been the same as it's daily limit with the exception of perch...

Good Luck!

Ken

A few years a go on another Red Lake forum some poor guy was harrased for days about a northern he caught out-of season and failed to mention he released. Two days of being told he was a poacher. If I ever make it to Red this year and actually get to post my report I will just mention how many I caught and leave out the how many I ate. That is, if I even catch any!

I went out of hillmans on thursday and was all alone, fished from 11am till 700pm and got 10 eyes biggest 19 and 1 14inch crappie. most fish came from jigging even the crappie they were pretty aggressive, I had the 19 on twice. after it got dark the bite just died not much in middle of day either ended up with 2 14 inch keepers to take home though

thanks for the real report. i hope they start to bite better at night. i got a sleeper next weekend. what was working the best for you fogtosser?

I was using a green buckshot rattle spoon the smallest size with a minnowhead and a set line with a glow blue and fathead. they were just starting to plow more roads out there. I brought my sled and moved a couple times with my portable, I didnt feel like getting stuck all by myself with the truck. I was out about 8 miles too, there are not near as many houses as last year I dont think.

We just got back from URL and between 12 guys in 3 days we caught 10 walleyes 2 being over 17 so released them, 2 crappies, and 6 perch. We went out of Rogers, this was our first time up and were kinda disappointed. The sleepers were comfortable, but I just felt like we fished pretty hard for what we got, dont know if I would do it again! didn't even average 1 eye per guy over 3 days "not good"! Was it this slow all over or did we just get stuck in a bad spot, our houses were not in a group, kinda in the middle of nowhere.

My buddy and I fished Saturday from 11am until about 7pm. We caught 20 walleyes, 2 crappie, and 5 jumbo perch. Most of the fish we caught hit the rattlin varmit with a few hitting the deadstick.

We made it to URL at 11:30 Friday night and had a throw back walleye and a 15" crappies in 10 minutes and thought here we go. Boy were we wrong. The rattle reels didn't go down until 9:30 the next morning. And the rattle reel going down was once in a blue moon the rest of the weekend. We ended up with 3 keep eyes, 2 perch, and the one crappie.

We had the camera down on Saturday and watched eye after eye race into the buckshot and all they would do is nudge it and swim away. We used every bait and every possible minnow presentation and the eyes wanted nothing to do with it. Very frustrating

We finally gave up on the fishing at 9:00pm Saturday and went for some BBQ and beer at Hillmans and played Wii bowling for an hour or 2 to vent our frustration.

Props to Hillmans BBQ and atmosphere!!! The highlight of the weekend was the Wii and the guitar pickers!

It was a tough bite. My son and I hit the south side friday afternoon till sunday am. Caught 6 walleye (2 keepers) 3 crappies, and one perch. I think it was the slowest bite we have ever had up there. A walleye pulled one of my rods down the hole and a couple of hours later my son pulled the fish with my rod attatched up a hole at the other end of the house. Saved me $75.00. Would have moved around but it was just too dang cold. Hopefully next time they will be hungry.

We left Friday after spending the night in one of Chad's rentals.

We were more than happy with the numbers of "eyes" we caught.

(all on dead sticks by the way, jigs were never touched.)

We also kept 8 jumbos, to go along with our 4 Walleyes.

Action wasn't hot-n-heavy, but still better than most other lakes in the state.

Figured the weather would mess things up so we went home.

Sounds like we made the correct choice.

Fished 6, 7, 8 out of a Petrowske house. Slow. Ended up with 4 keeper walleyes(16 1/2"ers) and 1 perch. Caught Several 8-10" walleyes, which is good to see. Also 1 18 1/2"er as well. All but 1 walleye caught on deadsticks. Plain hooks worked the best. Great time on the ice, but the fish just weren't cooperating. Jonny was very frustrated that the fish weren't biting, but catching fish is JUST a bonus for us. Jonny said he's living the dream-"Plowing p*ss and bagging sh*t." Man did I laugh.