• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grindstone Lake Fishing Reports

I was planning to also but don't think I will make it this year.  Don't know the boat landing condition as far as depth.  I have had the best luck with good size pike and smallmouth this time of the year there.  Some nice crappies move into the weedlines as well.  There is a good chance that the boat landing will be dredged this fall.  I was told that Grindstone is the first priority in the area for boat landing repair.  That sure would be nice.  If they do it, it will be in late fall I was told.  There is just a lot of sand built up at the entrance to the lake.  I will fish the lake hard once trout season opens there in January.  I'll have a Grinstone GTG also this year so I hope to see you there JB.  good luck.

I'll be using a canoe, so the landing won't be an issue. But in years past, even with my little 14 ft boat, I've had to use a paddle to push out. That's actually why I like the lake though, too tough for other boats to launch, so they go somewhere else :) I'll be targeting trout, but would certainly settle for bass/pike. 

When I looked at the stocking info for grindstone, I seen that in 2014 they stocked a lot less rainbows and browns than normal. Was that just a bad year for availability, or is that going to be the normal plan now? I couldn't find any info for 2015.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know they had a problem with stocking a few years ago when they could not get the same type of rainbow and they put in kamloops instead but I guess I don't know the answer to that one.  I'll have to call the DNR there to find out.  One thing about Grindstone is that there is a lot of carry over from year to year.  So there is always a good amount of rainbows in there.  When I was there last June one day the browns were just crazy and I could not even get a rainbow.  So there are many trout in there but I will find out about the stocking.   I keep in contact with the DNR there every year.  It may just be a matter of how many trout there were available.for stocking.  good luck.

JB, nothing has changed in the stocking of rainbows or browns.  The spring stocking in the last stocking in the lake finder you saw was not posted.  They did stock 5,000 rainbows that spring.    One thing I found out today was that the DNR is putting large brood stock rainbows, browns, and lake trout in Grindstone this late fall.  I have also noticed that more and more adult browns are being put in the lake as well.  Last winter less than half of the fish that were stocked were harvested so there is more carry over again.  I have been getting larger browns and rainbows the last two years, and that is from the carry over.  Should be a great trout opener.  good luck.

Got out there today...wish I would've had my boat instead of the canoe! The wind was brutal! I literally only was able to fish the south shoreline. But I was able to catch 2 nice rainbows, lost another, and had 1 follow. Seen some surface activity, especially later in the day when there was a few extra bugs coming out. Also caught 1 tiny little largemouth bass. The boat launch, while still extremely shallow, was in better shape than I've seen in awhile. A good sized boat was able to launch with little trouble while we were there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad you got out there and had some luck.  They will be stocking the fall rainbows soon there.  Hopefully this fall they get that landing dredged out.  That's the plan anyway since this landing is the priority for repairs.  Last I heard that the plans are approved and the outfit that will be doing the work has been chosen.  It was a matter of getting the funds.  So late this fall was the plan.  Hope it happens. Should be a good time on hard water there come January.  Hope we get some good ice as well.  Last year I did very good in shallow water for rainbows. Right around 4 to 5 feet.  Even got a 4 pound laker there as I said before.  good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Grindstone Lake is still wide open so it doesn't look good for trout opener.  Be very careful this year at Grindstone.  Do NOT drive on that lake until late in the season this year.  They normally put thin ice warnings at all the entry points for that reason.  Extra care is important this year.  good luck.

Not much going on this A.M. so I decided to run up to my cabin to check things out. Drove by the Grind on the way( cabin is only a couple miles away) and there were 2 guys out fishing with tip ups by the red barn. Looked like they used a chisel to make the holes in all of the 3 or 4 inches of ice( going by the chunks of ice on top) . Don't think I'd be out there yet

• Thumbs Up 1

That's  the area some early spear shacks are placed.  There are quality pike in the lake.  I have fished this lake since the early 70's and every year since.  Carl Lovegren at one time had the state record brown trout caught out of that lake.  I talked to him many times.  He caught the big brown off the point his cabin is located on [His daughter has the cabin now].  Took a big sucker out with his boat and dropped it in deeper water and set the rod on shore.  He was hoping for a laker when this brown took the sucker.  I'll make it for opener.  Thanks for the update!!  Should be plenty for ATV travel around the shoreline.  Not going out further until later.  The lake is 150 feet deep so don't take any chances.  Rainbows will be mostly in less than 10 feet of water anyway.  Caught a 4 pound lake trout last year in 4 feet of water on a waxie also.  Rainbows will move all the time so you don't have to punch a lot of holes.  Find a area and stay there.  Be quiet also.  Put out a tip up for a big pike as well.  good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reinhard,   You've provided some outstanding info on this lake over the years, so thank you for that.  I haven't fished Grindstone yet, but that will change this year.   I have fished quite a few lakes for trout, though, including some you know well up by Finland,MN.  One of my fav's is High up by Ely.   We'll be paying that one a visit this year I hope. Also have fished some of the pits around Eveleth / Virginia.      So, even though Grindstone has been on my radar, this will be the first year I fish it. 

That said,  will there be a  get - together this year?  I would really like to try to make it if there is.

BTW, I visited your website, and really enjoyed your pictures.   Priceless!

rascal

• Thumbs Up 1

First thank you for the  compliment on my site.  I've only worked on it for almost 2 years now.  More stuff to put on there.  Yes I would like to have a GTG on there but I want it to be a safe one [as far as driving on there].  So it will be most likely in February. I like to make it on a Saturday.  I'll be fishing the Grind prior to that to see the ice conditions.  I'll be going there the week after opening weekend.  Opening weekend usually has a lot of people and after that things settle down especially during the weekdays.  good luck.

• Thumbs Up 2

WCCO radio reports this morning that the Audobon center reported Grindstone completely froze over January 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe it , I saw lakes in western Wisconsin that still had open spots as of yesterday. Stay safe out there !!!!

There was around 4 inches by the red barn a few days ago so there should be plenty to walk on, on that side of the lake or even a ATV.  I would not go deeper than the shoreline area without checking first.  I would NOT drive on the lake period at this time.  I'm going next week with my Polaris but staying near shore for rainbows and pike.  good luck.

Well that's a good sign to have a couple of spear shacks out there.  I'll be there next week.  good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Where is the best spot to park near the red barn? In the past I've parked on the ice.   You think this cold will keep the crowds away?  

I think parking on the ice is the only option. The road is very narrow, and the opposite side from the lake is private property.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would think even parking at the boat landing would be ok right now and then dragging out the portables from there don't have to go far for rainbows or even lakers from there.  From the red barn as JB said drive out about 50 feet or so and stay on the right where the shallow shelf is.  The shelf is a large area.  That's a good place to park.  To the left of the barn as you go out brings you in deeper water right away so stay right.  good luck.

I would appreciate a report on the ice thickness and results if anyone braves the cold out there this weekend.  I will go this coming week for a couple of days.  Good luck out there.

That's a beauty.  Was he shallow?  Last year I got a 4 pounder in 5 feet of water.  There were 5 other one's swimming around my hole but that one took my waxie.  Very nice!!  good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya it happens once in awhile.  When I saw that pack of lakers roam where I was I was surprised myself.  There were two lakers bigger than the 4 pounder I caught.   Long time ago when they had a fishing contest on the Grind [had one every year then] some guy won the contest with a 5 pounder that he caught in 4 feet of water.  The guy was also trying for rainbows.  They had the contest on the south end back then.  I have seen packs of lakers out deeper also just under the ice about 10 feet down at times also.  good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never been up there but might go up Saturday. Any tips? What kind of jigs do you guys use? Spoons, raps, panfish jigs... Ect? Are you looking for a specific break line?