• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grindstone Lake Fishing Reports

The GTG is still on February 8. Fish on your own morning and/or afternoon. Gather at noon by the red barn landing for some good food and conversation. Bring something to share if you can. Some of the guys know the lake well and will help with fishing if needed.

Just wondering if anybody has any recent ice and snow conditions? Thinking about heading up there this weekend and want to know if I will be able to get around with 4x4 truck or if i'll have to hoof it from the launch.

Look at my last post

I was out last weekend. You will be fine on the lake. I took my 1ton diesel out and got around good, just look out for deeper snow spots.

Too bad you can't make it DonBo...Remembered you from last year. Svingla: Stop in and see us by the Red Barn at noon or anytime.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Too bad you can't make it DonBo...Remembered you from last year. Svingla: Stop in and see us by the Red Barn at noon or anytime.

MnFisher, take and post some pictures. This will be the first Grind GTG I missed in the last 3 years! frown

anyone been to Grindstone of late. I heard rumors of the public launch ice being in poor shape. any truth to that. also what could cause bad ice/ it hasn't been warm yet.

Yep that landing sucks To many people driving out when it was slushy. Common sense was not on the front burner so now it is a rutty rough drive have fun

I've been trying to get lakers with not much success. Been fishing the second high spot out from the red barn and lots of smelt biting but super small and hard to hook.

Lots of shacks shallow

The locals put up a sighn to pick up garbage which looks kind of fancy

The red barn access is good and driving on most of the lake is not a problem (as of Saturday, February 9). Snow is well packed. I didn't go on the south half though. 3 of us caught one small laker, one rainbow and one smelt in about 75' of water closer to the Audabon center. Leech: I didn't take any pictures at the Getogether but about 18 guys were there, food was great. No fish in the morning. We caught ours in the afternoon but so far haven't heard how others did in the afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been out to the Grinder since the big storm? Wondering if anybody has been out and plowed a road? If I remember correctly someone did last year so I'm just hoping that their kindness extended in to this year as well.

Seriously nobody has been out since the storm? Just want to know if you can get on the lake with a truck or if it is snowmobile or foot only.

After driving thru the area today, I would guess snowmobile only. Looks like about 4' of snow in the woods. With the cold and snow, is bet very few have been fishing.

Caught a walleye today in grinder. Cpr of course. Is this a rare catch for this lake.

• 2 weeks later...

Any reports on lake slush and parking conditions lately? Thinking of maybe Sunday or just packing it in for the season and getting some honey-do's done! frown

No ones been out there lately? shocked

I was out there about a week ago, drove on the lake with my s10 4x4, lots of slush on top of several feet of ice, got stuck in the slush. Many thanks to the homeowner on the west side that brought me some ashes to use for traction witch got me going again. The fishing wasn't any better, did catch a couple of tiny crappies, still trying to get my first laker.

I was out on the grind this morning. Fished 7 1/2 fow for rainbows but had no luck. Moved out to 15fow and found a bunch of perch on bottom. Do the trout move deeper later in the year? Last two times I've been out its been extremely slow and lucky to see one swim by. Earlier this winter I was seeing anywhere from 7 or 8 to 20 in the first 5 hours from sun up. Hoping to make it back down one more time before season closes.

How was the lake conditions? Any slush and how about parking? Thinking of trying to make it up this weekend for my first time this year, on the last weekend. frown

The lake was just fine where I was. I parked by the red barn and walked out. I seen no slush where I was.

Is anyone parking on the lake out from the barn?

i'm heading up maybe friday or saturday night for some smelt fishing/ anyone have reports for smelt lately?

Haven't seen anyone parking on the lake in front of the barn. There was a truck out in the middle this afternoon. As long as you have 4 wheel drive you should be able to get back up the bank by the barn. It is getting pretty slippery going down and coming back up on foot.

Thanks for the Info. I have to work Sat and Sunday looks like rain so I maybe done for the year on Lakers! frown

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have seen quite a few folks fishing out there and from shore east of the bible camp. No clue how they are doing though. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Has any one been to grindstone and seen how the access looks? I'm thinking about going up this weekend but don't know if the access will be deep enough to get a larger boat through I'm just wondering if anyone know how deep the access is?

Went out today in search of lakers and no success for me. Water temp was in the upper 60s. I tried shallow to 70ft deep the fish sure did not like what I was doing. I did mark fish and bait balls .