• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Arial View, which one of the FREE ones do you use?

perchking

I have used Google Earth alot but the land I am selling is not defined, it is blurry. What other ones do you use? I saw a post like this about 2 months ago but I cant find it.

I've used TerraServer, USGS website and my favorite (and best I've found)mytopo dot com.

Here's a sample........hey I can see my house from here.

Bessemer.jpg

There are many out there and they all have different quality photos in different areas for some reason. I use google earth, the MN one (someone will chime in with the right name) and I found the Microsoft one on the Ducks Unlimited website. The DU one was the best for the area I hunt. Its under "migration map".

I just go to weather.com and go to the radar interactive map. You can zoom in pretty well and get a good idea where some pinch points are. It's the same as the DU migration map.

Shiner....did you have to pay at my topo dot com?? I couldn't find any free links. I could be over looking it.

I use google earth for scouting out grouse spots. After a while i can tell ages and kinds of trees from the color scheme compared to driving there in real life. It works out pretty good to find some new starting points on my hunt for them. The images are not that recent though so might try to find a new one sometime. topo dot com looks like it could be pretty good.

You can go through a lot of work and get a free GIS app like Tatuk off the web, then download free FSA photos (mosaic) off the USDA Gateway. These will vary from 1-3meter resolution. I see you are in MI, a guy I work with is from there and has done this for the Houghton area. Time consuming to download all the app's, but definitely worth it.

Google earth is probably the best, and its easy, but you can get better resolution with other programs.

Quote:
Shiner....did you have to pay at my topo dot com?? I couldn't find any free links. I could be over looking it.

You have to pay if you want the printed map. I right-click and save as, from that point you can pretty much do whatever you want with it.