• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lms 332 c feeling let down

Whopper Stopper

Question

Has anyone sent any non warranted items into Lowrance for repairs? I guess I would have to say I am more then a little disappointed with them. I have a lms 332 c fish finder. It is about 5 months out of Warranty. The problem I am having is that when put on split screen I loose the digital depth read out which is suppose to appear in the upper left hand corner of the depth window. I have the scale down the right side which if you watch will show depth but the digital is gone. Now when I put it back on full screen it reappears but as soon as you go back to map and sonar it’s gone. Now before you all tell me about how to fix it let me say that I have spent hours with the book trying to get it reset. NO GO! It started one day last Summer and I just put up with it because I needed it for the season. Now I figured was a good time if I needed to send it in. Anyway I mentioned my problem to a guy I know at Joes Sporting Goods and of course he said “bring it in, I can fix that” So I did and two hours later he said he had never seen anything like that before and I will need to send it in. Now trust me 3 guys were working on it to reset it and couldn’t get it. Even just a simple factory default reset should have cured it but the finder won’t allow it. My point is that there is a problem that Lowrance would need to attend to. So I called their customer service number and after a 50 minute wait I was helped by a very friendly guy named Star. He of course let it be known that not only was my unit out of warranty but also basically obsolete as far as their fish finders are concerned. So it wasn’t until I walked through all the steps with him did he finally agree that maybe there was a problem. So as I was getting my return authorization number he mentions that by the way there is a $199.00 fee to just send it in being it is out of warranty. And of course any actual fix (parts and labor) is extra. I then told him to hold on because in my mind that seems a little out of line. Bottom line I finished up with him and I am going to use it the way it is. I have a few Lowrance products. All have worked great and other then always noting how fast current models are updated and out dated I have never had any problem recommending Lowrance to my friends. I can live with the way the finder is working but it isn’t as nice as it was. And for that kind of money I am well on my way to saving for a replacement. Now I am just not sure what brand I will use and hey! maybe it doesn’t matter. Well thanks for putting up with my half rant. I would be interested in anyone’s opinions especially if you have had similar dealings. Thanks again!

WS

11 answers to this question

I always wondered why I couldn't see the depth, temp and speed when I had the split screen. After playing around with it I found how to add them. The problem is I can't remember how I did it. I know it was in split screen mode and I opened the menu but I don't remember which item I chose. Unless there is something wrong with your unit, there is a way to add the depth, temp and speed. I may down load the simulator and play with that later.

First off, I empathize with you but as you said it is out of the warranty period and they hold pretty firmly to it. I have never sent them non-warranty repair work, but I have had warranty repairs done and it's been about a week door-to-door to get my unit back.

I know you've tried to fix it yourself, as well as a guy at Joes, but .......... When you go into the split screen mode, and make the sonar side of the screen the active window, can you go into the overlay data menu and add the digital depth reading back? I don't know whether it is supposed to stay on the screen or not when you switch from full screen to split screen, but if you can add it back with a few button pushes then it doesn't seem like much of an issue. I don't know if you've tried this or not, just make sure the sonar side of the window is the active screen when you try it. Good luck and I hope you get it resolved.

The first thing I would do is update the software. It seems this is a program issue, and nothing wrong with the actual unit. Go to the lowrance website and check if you are running the current software version. If you are, then I have the first version on file that works really well (there are 2 garbage versions in-between). I could send you the early file but you won't be able to network the 332 and have waypoint sharing, also it won't have the current time change info. Also, as stated earlier you can customize the display in each screen. Just select the window in the split screen and somewhere under the menu you can pick out the custom features you want displayed.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the advice you all offered. Being you took the time let me go back and do the same, to answer your questions. Yes Mr. Wiggum I did a hard reset a couple of times. They also did that at Joe’s. As PerchJerker eluded to, warranty dates are strictly enforced. I fully understand that and can appreciate their position. The part that is hard to swallow was that after purchasing the unit for $649 to have them say that because the unit is so old 9year and a half) you will now have to pay $199 just to have us look at it. One un related part of this story is that about 6 months after I bought the 332, the transducer went to pots. I had 4 calls into them on that one and was told twice that it was on the way. I finally got tired of the phone and went to Cabelas and bought a new one myself. As far as I know the one they sent is still on it’s way. Now for the question that Perchjerker had…… .......... When you go into the split screen mode, and make the sonar side of the screen the active window, can you go into the overlay data menu and add the digital depth reading back? I don't know whether it is supposed to stay on the screen or not when you switch from full screen to split screen, but if you can add it back with a few button pushes then it doesn't seem like much of an issue. I don't know if you've tried this or not, just make sure the sonar side of the window is the active screen when you try it. This was done exactly the way you have it laid out and again they did this at Joe’s. This is where they started believing me that I had a problem. It is also what Star from Lowrance had me go through. Because as he said “even if it is just a button we push the cost is still $199 minimum”

Mamohr686. This is what the Lowrance guy asked if I had done yet. The answer was no because after reading threads on here last year it seemed many people were having issues with their finders after doing the up dates. I do not know what version software I have but I will find out. I will also keep your contact information. I am not sure what steps I will need to do to update? Is this something that I can put on a card from the PC and then into the finder or do I need to plug the finder directly into the PC? Not sure how that would work without cables and power in the office? Thanks very much for the responses. This is what makes the site my first stop in the morning and as often as possible through the day!

WS

To update the software in your unit, you put the update on a blank SD card, put the card in your 332, and it automatically processes the update. They explain this pretty well on the Lowrance website. Not sure but I assume it's different going to an older version of the software.

FWIW, a lot of guys complain about some of the software versions. I have always used the latest version available though and have not had the complaints or issues that some of the guys are reporting. But I think mamohr686 made a great suggestion, try updating the software and see if that solves your problem.

I agree, the $199 flat fee to even look at a unit out of warranty is ridiculous, especially when they come out with new models every 2-3 years lately.

I'm sure any of the local electronics repair shops could fix it for you. That would avoid the $199 lowrance fee.

For the software versions the issues were with the 1.7v. Now the current version is 2.1, I belive. I had the same issues with 332's, 112c's, 25c's all of them were having isssues a few years back. Now with the current versions all seems to be well. I also keep the older versions around, just in case.

I feel your pain Whopper Stopper. I have the same unit, and for what I paid (luckily it was on sale), I am not that impressed. The unit locks up or certain features don't work. I have to do the resets --hard and soft-- from time to time. Sometimes, on the clearest of days the gps won't lock in. I talked to a guy who used to work at Reeds for a long time. He said that he intentionally tried to push people away from this product because Lowrance never really worked out all the kinks.

My Lowrance X-102c had to be sent back for $200 worth of repairs as well. I sound a bit sour on Lowrance products. When they work they do a great job. I know in this part of the country Lowrance is king. I am sure it's just a fluke that I have encountered these problems. I will be open-minded about considering other brands in the future. Good luck. Open-water is just around the corner.

WhopperStopper,

I would try the software upgrade first. But also you should check out from the Menu button, checking the overlay data. (I downloaded the Emulator from Lowrance to check this) and when you split screen it does show after you add it.......

I sent my 332C in for problems related to it not locking in. I would get a strong lock right when it turned it on, then it would gradually lose signal and my position. If I would go under a bridge, It would lose signal and never be able to re-acquire the sattelites, without restarting it. It turned out to be a problem with the Net system cable. I went to the Y-cable and hooked it up directly to the unit and I never had any problems with it after that (with the exception of some poor updates from lowrance).