• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Beginer Archer

Code-Man

I'm just getting into the Archery swing and I was looking at bows last night. WOW there are differnt brands and styles. I was looking at the Drenaline that is being a special price for clearance. Anyone had any good bad with this bow? Would this one be a good begining bow or too advanced? Any recomendations would be great.

Thanks

Code-Man,

Go out and shoot as many bows as possible and see what you like the best. When I go out and buy a new bow I shoot as many as possible, but I have not found anything out there that shoots or feels like the Mathews line. If you like that bow you will not go wrong with Mathews.

I'm definately bias on this but make sure you try a Hoyt to. I own the Vectrix and it sounds like the Katera is a touch better. That being said there are alot of nice bows have fun searching.

As far as what you're shooting, there aren't really any beginner or advanced bows except for maybe when you're talking about "brace height". For a beginner you'll typically want a bow with a brace height of 7" or higher. These bows are more forgiving to minor variances in form. As you get better and your form becomes second nature then you can consider bows with shorter brace heights.

The Drenalin is a great bow. Its short, light and plenty fast.

As powerstroke eluded to a bow that is longer wheel to wheel and has a longer brace height will be more forgiving to form issues. And be a more accurate bow for you to begin with.. This usually does sacrafice some speed with it.

Get a bow that fits you.. The Dread is a great bow and a great shooter!..

P.S. Surewood--I'm with you... I currently own 4 Hoyts and thinking of picking up another for 3D.. LOL...

Another issue for me anyway is try to make sure you can find a pro shop that does good work and has time to answer your questions. Good service goes a long way.

P.S. Deitz, What bow are you thinking of picking up for 3D. With the Vectrix I was able to expand my range this season which made two doe kills at 45yds no problem.

Thanks for any information. I'm heading down to the cities this weekend and plan on checking out a few this weekend adn seeing what is available.

Code, if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask them.. Remember there are no dumb questions!

Surewood- I got my eye on a Hoyt UltraElite

I would spent the extra money and get something from a pro shop, big box stores may not be your best spot to buy a bow if you are looking for service. I used to work at a small store and people would always bring in firearms they got a "deal on" somewhere else and want us to work on what may have been installed wrong. Keep the little guys in business

I ended up heading down to Cabelas in Rogers. Lousy customer service down there. Spent about an hour just to shoot a few bows and the guy was just rude. I'm sure he was busy but wow not great PR work. I went and was going to look at Parker at a Gander Mt in maple Grove I believe...just off of Weaver Lake Rd and 94. No one would even help me and I was there for an hour. The people were more worried about there smoke breaks then customer service. I tried that Black Ice and marquis and didn't like either. I have the Drenaline picked out and just need to pay the payments. Just can't wait to bring her home.

Don't buy from the big guys! When I was shopping around for bows last summer the guy at Gander in Duluth wouldn't even let me touch the bow I wanted to look at. I told him I now will forever take my business elsewhere!

Code-man, I see you're from Hawley/Frazee. If you haven't put money down you could go to Fargo Scheels and speak to Al Messner. He will set you up and spend a lot of time with you if your looking at the Dren. Or check out the Outdoorsman and talk to Tom and look at those new Hoyt's. But if your set on Matthews you would have to go to Scheels in Fargo.

I agree with solocam, shoot as many bows as your interested in. Find the one that feels right for you, i think everyone is different.

On a side note, crazydew, I like your signature !!!

I live for bow hunting. I shoot TONS of deer with my bow every year. I killed quite a few of my first deer with a fred bear bow which is pretty much middle of the line. SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT. no reason to go spend 700 on a bow

I ended up putting money down on the Drenaline at the Fargo Scheels. I need to practice more with it obviously when I get it home but figured the price was too good of a deal to pass up.

You wont be disappointed. Awesome bow!

Now you are hooked. Wait til you down that first deer!

Congrats!

I shoot bowtech right now and hear good things about the adrenaline and have thought about buying one..

I have heard GREAT things about hoyt don't get me wrong but the ones I shot I didn't like. I have two bad shoulders and had Rotator Cuff surgery at age 18 on my left one. To me all the hoyts wanted to gettie up and go if you gave any slack or moved just wrong. Maybe in the future I'll think of Hoyt but it just didn't want to sit right for me. Bowtech that I shot seemed to be the hardest to pull back of all of them and the feel didn't seem as good as the other brands. Diamond not too bad but it felt like after I released a hammer was hitting metal in my hand. Hopefully I did a good choice. Put some accessories on it and quieted it up quickly.

you do know that bowtech makes diamond right? the cam system is the only difference. I do agree with you, there are certian bows that bowtech makes that seem [PoorWordUsage] near impossible to break over (guardian,alegiance) I shoot and love my tribute, plus they got a cool deal supporting troops by purchasing. Hoyts and pse's seem real stiff and unbalanced to me. Never shot a mmathews just wanted to be a little different then everybody out there

I think you will like your choice also. I am left handed and right eye dominant so I had to learn to shoot right handed. I also shot a lot of bows and went with the Dren because it was a little easier on me with the awkward feeling of pulling back right. I love it! I also loved the Hoyt's and am going to look at one comming up this spring. Shhhhhh need to squirrel some money away so the misses is none the wiser.

I have a new Diamond Black Ice and it pulls like butter.... Love it! Although you can't go wrong with a bow that makes you feel like it is an extension of you when shooting it. The name on the bow won't make the hunter/shooter better without it feeling right!

Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech/Diamond and so many others are solid...

Have fun, shoot straight!