• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Caribou Lake suggestions

I'm staying at a place on Caribou Lake near Lutsen in a few weeks. I've never fished it before but plan to do it this time. Does anyone have some suggestions for catching walleye and northerns? I don't need your honey holes, but wouldn't mind knowing if the pike are biting on frozen smelt or suckers, and are the walleye more into crappie minnows, wax worms, etc?

I will bring my sled up, so I can move around the lake a bit.

Thanks.

If you are after northerns go to the bay out in front of the access and drill holes till you find some weeds and fish the edges with large buckshots or set out some tip ups. As far as walleyes have gone, the ones we have gotten have been in the deep water of the lake. This past weekend fishing was not fast nor furious, but we manages to catch about 6 walleyes anywhere from 18-24 ft of water close to sharp breaks. The fish were scattered and in neutral mood.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck!

my buddy has a cabin on Caribou has anyone ever iced a big walleye here like 24inches+

The DNR survey seems to indicate that the lake is populated with lots of eater-size walleye, but I'm sure there are some.

Do the walleye prefer a certain presentation in the winter, such as crappie minnows on tear-drop jigs, wax worms on red hooks, etc?

I also have a place on Caribou. Never fished it much in the winter, but there are some weedbeds in the bay where the access is. Straight out from the access probably 150yds or so. Also if you are looking out from the landing, slightly left towards the bare rock across the bay there are some weedbeds over there as well.

Walleyes seem to be smaller in size over the past couple years. 10 yrs ago they were nice 17" or so. Biggest we've ever got was a 24". Bass pop. has exploded in the lake.

Good luck!

Thats also what i have noticed with the size of the eyes, What part of the lake is your cabin on my friends is in the bay area where the creek starts

As stated before in the mid to late 90's the walleyes were nice sized all around, within the last 2-3 years their size has seemed to have been smaller. The largest I have every caught was a 25" female and that was shortly after opener. We will be up tomorrow night through sunday to give it a shot and hopefully try for some lakers up on gunflint. If anyone is out on the ice and sees a fishtrap stop in.

Later