• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rage Broadhead for Turkeys?

HateHumminbird

Being a fan of the guillotine, it's been difficult shopping other broadheads. My bow now is acting up with the long arrows and wicked flight-dynamics of that monster head, and I'm considering the Rage two-blade for turkeys.

I've killed them with a standard head, guillotine, and the old rocket hammerhead 4-blades, but I'd like to stick to a 100gr head as they fly better with my arrow/setup. However, I don't want to do it at the expense of cutting diameter!

Side motivation is to get it setup for deer-hunting as well.

Thinking about putting a small plastic washer behind the head to prevent some penetration. Other folks have been doing that with decent results it seems.

Joel

Hey Joel- Good to hear ya back with the stick in your hands! Ah yes... the what broadhead should I try this season debate... always a fun decision. Well you can't go wrong with 100gn 3-blade Hammerhead. Lots of fatalities courtesy of that head. The 2-blade rage would be an excellent choice as well... only experience with 3-blade on whitetails but that 2" 2-blade should be outstanding on turks. Also that head I was telling you about at the show - the Bullhead from Magnus - sure to be talked about. Similar to a guillotine but you have the option for a body-shot as well. There's a few new fixed blade turk heads on the market as well but you'd be sacrificing cutting diameter.

Let me know if you need any help killing those birds off down there or a video-man this spring. I didn't get drawn but will hopefully be chasing them around during the archery season.

I'm not positive but wasn't there a recall on the rage heads?I was going to look at rage for deer but heard that.I have had a ton of luck with the Rocket 100 gr Hammerhead and Sidewinder.I also have switched out the tips on the Hammerhead with the chissled tip sidewinder a little heavier but sure bust up a turkey hip or wings.Great for shooting through mesh as I'm sure you two know.

I've also been contemplating the Rage 2-blade for turks this spring. I've never used a mech. head and I like the size of the cutting diameter for the old toms.

What about shooting the rage through a shoot through screen? I know there is no rubber binder on them so wouldn't that open up to early?I guess if you do not shoot through mesh window you would be ok.

The rage recall was a year ago on the 3 blade model...

I too am going to chase them in MN with my bow and I'm torn between using my 2 blade Rage and buying the new Magnus head...

I'm hoping to read some reports from southern states on performance of broadheads prior to the beginning of May so I have a couple weeks to dial in my equipment...

Good Luck!

Ken

What the hey, I'm going to try it. Then I'll be set up for my deer hunting as well without having to move pins before seasons.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Joel

I use cabella's laser mechanical broad heads. 14 bucks for six broadheads. Only way to go. I don't feel so bad when I loose an arrow. For deer then I'll use a rage. But for turks i don't like to use a 15 dollar broad head. Plus for what it cost to by three rage i can by 12 lasers and use 6 for target shooting. And trust me they do the job.

Last year I killed two toms (MN & WI)with the rage two blade. My bow was set at 50 lbs and neither of them passed through. One bird went about 4 steps and the other went about 10 yds. I leave the window open on my blind. I did not shoot through a screen. I was very pleased with their performance.

Thanks for the positive report, I think I'll go that way for this spring.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Hoyt4
What about shooting the rage through a shoot through screen? I know there is no rubber binder on them so wouldn't that open up to early?I guess if you do not shoot through mesh window you would be ok.

I am not positive, but from what I have been told the blades would open early if shot through a screen window.

Yea the the rages will not work with shoot through screens. Of course I've never seen a broadhead work very well with them.

Luckily, turkeys aren't shy about blinds all all. Take your screens out. They just don't care.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.