• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2/5/08 Report

Infishquinn

The craps were pretty active today, caught 9, 5 good ones and 4 smaller. 2 were whites and 7 blacks. Caught 'em doin the usual routine - crappie minnow on a hook and a small spoon tipped with a head. I fished a bit downstream of the WI shanty town in 39 fow. I tried for a mudpuppy in 15 fow for 20 minutes and came out empty handed. I must have the curse that everyone else wants - unable to land a mudpuppy. Good fishin everybody.

I went out yesterday as well... south of the WI shanty town... I set up with about 35 fow or so - nothing to note but a few white bass. Sorry to hear you didn't find any mudpuppies! I caught my first one of those in about 30 fow. All I can say is "yuck", those are some ugly critters!!!

I managed to tie into some perch when I moved closer to shore - caught a handful in about 22 fow. Sounds like I should have moved deeper to find the crappies. Oh well, live and learn - it was only my second time out on the Croix ice....

Sounds like you did pretty well compared to the folks I talked to.

Fished 10-3 on 2/5 also. Lots of people out. Most I talked to reported it slow, but catching a few. Started off in 33 feet near the highlines. Marked lots of fish, and had a few hits with only one mud puppy to show for it. I then moved down to the WI side across from Bayport and fished from 16-30 feet. Every hole I drilled had a fish sitting right on bottom that would come up to look at my spoon and then move off. Finally caught a fat 10 inch perch, unusual for the St. Croix. Oh well, it was a gorgeous day. Good Luck!

Great reports, I haven't been to the Croix in a while so I have been living through yalls post. I think I might see you guys this Sunday. Good luck yalls

CroixNewB

How big were the perch you caught??? The second question is....what did you catch them on??

If I could catch a bunch of 9-10" perch along with some crappies I would be one happy man. SM

Sausageman,

The perch were in that 8-10" range - not jumbos but big enough to cut up for the fryer... They were biting on crappie minnows. They weren't interested in waxies but I didn't try any plastics. As for lures, caught a couple on a small swedish pimple and couple on a small jigging spoon. They'd come through in waves - must have been a school of them that were working through that area.

I think I'll head out there again today - set up around noon or so and fish for a couple of hours. I got my wife hooked on ice fishing a few weeks ago when she slayed the bluegills at one of my 'secret spots'. She must have caught 25 gills in the matter of a few hours - I spent all my time taking fish off her jig and re-baiting the hook! Time well spent if you ask me!!!

StCroixNewB

Thank you for the information.

Getting your wife hooked on ice fishing was a very smart move on your part. I wish more wives or girlfriends would give ice fishing a try.

You know the saying "Happy wife....happy life". SM