• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thoughts on Joe Mauer

Dahitman44

they are going to play mauer at first base this year and dh morneau. mauer needs to quit bouncing into double plays I am not worried about the homers, he is just not a power guy.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dahitman44

• Windy City Walleye Hunter

• tisosy11

• Scott K

That would be just plain stupid. Take two guys that are above average defensively at their postions and make them learn a new one? You don't take Morneau off the field and you don't take a potential all star catcher and make him a first baseman (or third baseman for that matter). If you had the inclination of doing something that dumb, why not dh Mauer to save the knees and leave Morneau at first? Geez, they've only been in the league three years, they should be hitting their stride in the next few years. You gain nothing by messing with young talent, making them learn something new every couple of years rather than perfecting the things they've trained for all their lives.

In light of recent events, this may not be a wise example. but Roger Clemens started his career with a bunch of injuries. No one gave up on him and tried to make a reliever out of him. He seemed to have a few pretty good years once he healed and his body matured.

Id be a flat out liar if I said I was anything close to an expert, but some valuable points have been made. "bulking up" your forearms are not going to affect your swing one bit, it will help to be able to rotate your wrists quicker leading to a faster bat speed. Also, being tall doesnt have much to do with catching until youre standing up to throw down, which being in the pros, I should hope he has the thigh strength to pop up quick anyways haha. As far as his knees are concerned- you have to remember that he is basically doing a MINIMUM of 9 squats per inning, times 9 innings... thats a lot of up and down for your knees to handle a game, not to mention an entire season, with squatting in between. I caught when I was younger and it puts a lot of strain on your joints. I overall think hes a great player and a great role model! At least he doesnt have that "I play when I want to play" attitude...

I am 6'5 and I cant croutch for a few minutes much less a whole game, I am not comparing myself to mauer but I can feel my knees giving me the big F U when I do get down like that so I think it will take a toll after a few years.

Great points, Doug Nut!

Joe seems like a great guy that really loves the game and is a good role model -- a little bulk on the forearms will not hurt IMO.

Originally Posted By: frogtosser
they are going to play mauer at first base this year and dh morneau. mauer needs to quit bouncing into double plays I am not worried about the homers, he is just not a power guy.

Mauer at first base? R U Crazy?

3B or Of will be his future home. When? Hard to say. As long as he can split some time at DH and C that will help him for the next few years, but he WILL need to change positions at some point, IMO.

thats what I heard on the FAN I didnt just make that up, kinda suprised me to when they said that, I think it was Lavelle Neil III that said it.

BTW -- Just read Neal in the STrib -- remember when Hunter called him out for being "injured" --

Makes me wonder????? But I used to watch X-files and Star Trek so take that with a grain of salt. ;\)

yea it sounded wierd when I heard it so we will just have to wait and see. what ever happened to terry tiffie

Mauer may have a future in the outfeild or 3B, but for now and for awhile longer he needs to catch, he brings stability to the young pitchers and really knows the game and opposing batters.

If he did not bat in the 3 hole, no one would see a need for him to hit more dingers. He hits like a number two hitter, a very talented and smart number 2.

Anything that he changes in his body, leg strength, arm strength, core strength, ect. will affect his swing. The swing requires the whole body and any change makes a differnce. This doesn't mean he couldn't be as or more effective by gaining some muscle, but it will have an effect on his swing. Bat speed can lead to power but everything starts in your legs and hand-eye coordination and a good eye is more to hitting than strength alone.

His hitting style does not let him hit many homeruns. You can't be patient and a free swinger trying to hit every ball out of the park. Mauer trys to make good contact and hit the ball where it is pitched, not the other way around that many pure power hitters approach hitting.

Homeruns don't win baseball games, even the best hitters can't be expected to hit more than 40 in an average year, the can change 40 games, but can also be counted on to strike out and hit into DP's and pop outs often. JM does things in every at-bat that can affect the game (working counts, getting on base, moving runners around). He also is human and hits into DP's and flys out and K's, just not as often.

I do think that he is a bit injury prone, but catcher is a rough position and if he says he is hurt he most likely is hurt because I really think that Mauer enjoys the game of baseball and wouldn't nurse an injury to long.

Just the opinion of a guy who loves the game and has too much free time.......

Originally Posted By: frogtosser
what ever happened to terry tiffie

I think he is in the Northern League. cool.gif

I have heard some talk of Mauer learning 1B also. Sounds like they may get him used to it, so that there is someone to give Morneau a breather every once in a while. Right now there really isn't a backup 1B on the roster.

What about this though? I wouldn't mind seeing Mauer lead-off. He gets on base as well as anyone in the league and always see a bunch of pitches each at bat. Granted, he is not a typical leadoff guy, he is not a base stealer, but I think he would set the table nicely. Twins have not had a leadoff guy that could steal bases since Chucky anyway.

Maur is getting paid good money to play what??? 110 games a year..... Come on we need more BANG for the buck in my opinion... He is a good player, but a little to much "hometown"

Today's paper said that he changed his winter work out routine and feels the best he has ever felt in spring training.

Maybe this will help the durability and allow him to participate in more games....

This was printed in a good story in the STrib.

"Former teammate Torii Hunter questioned Mauer's ability to play banged up, which touched off more debate about Mauer needing to switch positions. Mauer said this week that catching is a physically demanding job -- but one he wants to continue doing.

"I've been dealing with that moving to third base [debate] for a long time," Mauer said. "The thing about dealing with injuries, people don't know what it's like to catch. None of those guys have caught. I'm just trying to get ready and stay healthy."

Pushing 6-6 in cleats doesn't help.

"I'm trying to grow sideways," he said with a chuckle."

Mauer needs to man-up...catching is physically demanding. But he will require too high of a salary for playing as few games as he does...

Some say he his pushing 6-7 without cleats. Maybe he could play for the Wolves instead. ;\)

That or QB the vikes. \:o

Originally Posted By: tisosy11
Oh god - qb for the vikes...would he be able to play a sunday game after a monday night game...

Yes and he is likely a better QB than what we have now. Joe Mauer was probably the best high school quarterback talent the state of Minnesota has ever had. He was THE #1 QB prospect in all of highschool sports his senior year.

Yah, keep complaining about him. I know everyone thinks he is a pussy and not a great catcher, but guess what? He is one of the top 2 or 3 catchers in the league both offensively and defensively. I will admit at times he can be a little soft though.

I know everyone loves to take the Barrerio route and rip "Baby Jesus" to no end, but really other than a few media members, I think Mauer takes more heat from the fans than anyone in this state as far as professional ball players go.

People got too excited early when all we ever heard was that Joe was going to develop into a power hitter, he was a #1 pick, etc, etc.

Fact is, he is young, is a great hitter and defender and is signed for the Twins long term. He is a guy I want on my team if I am playing I will tell you that. Also if you were to ask any MLB player or coach who is among the top catchers in the league and I will bet Mauers name comes up more than most.

Good post Willy! although I disagree with the soft comment injuries happen it has nothing to do with being soft and actually to play as many games as he did last year at the catcher position with his injuries shows he is quit tough.

everyone thinks he is a pussy

Willy -- how do you get away with what you say and I don;t say anything even close to that I I get (poor usage choice) or something?

What gives? Do you have connections? Just kidding.

Can you really say that?

I just figured it was my bald head and twin guns that made people flag me. ;\)

So Hitman,

What's new, pussy cat? LOL

I agree!

Windy

Originally Posted By: genegodawa
I think pussy is just a synonym for WSox fan so that makes it ok.....

LOL... That was funny!!