• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

i don't get home that often, but when i do i fish fountain and the channel regardless of season. just wondering, but does anyone ice fish pickerel anymore? i don't drive by like i used to. i caught a ton of fish including some huge crappies and perch in the little channel that abuts the road, but that was quite a few years ago now. it used to be good for perch. hopefully the lake still holds fish. im hoping it didnt die off like eberhardt. my aunt lives on eberhardt lake and unfortunately it froze out nearly 20 years ago. it used to be a guaranteed crappie limit.

I heard that the DNR killed off the fish. But thats just hear say.. Heard the plan is to use it as a rearing pond for Northerns and something else just cont remember what now.

If it's hear say, I would think twice about posting information like that here. Although it happens, we'd like to stay away from that whenever possible. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Team Otter
If it's hear say, I would think twice about posting information like that here. Although it happens, we'd like to stay away from that whenever possible. Thank you.

??? Even if it's just "hear say" I don't really see anything wrong with saying so. I actually welcomed the info. But that does make it interesting as to reason why? Any info be it truth or not is helpful in some way at determining what's going on with such? As long as the intent was to inform and not purposely mislead I see no faulter in such posting.

But then again we all know the best way to find out is to ask the locals there or just call the DNR directly. That is if one really wanted to find out for themselves. This should be the answer to this thread.

This does not need to be a "rumor mill". We can all help with this being that there is plenty of that type of thing going on already without the help of the Internet.

This does not need to be a "rumor mill". We can all help with this being that there is plenty of that type of thing going on already without the help of the Internet.

I agree with you & understand. But how do you know if it's "rumor mill" or not? You dont. Give the benefit of the doubt. I think we are all smart enough to find out if we really wanted to know for sure. Yes such rumors & information should never be taken seriously unless it's a fact. I think that is common sense...

Originally Posted By: fisherman-andy
This does not need to be I think that is common sense...

You more confident than most. I err on the side of caution. It doesn't take long for things to "twist".

i totally understand. my only thought on it is that this is a message board for fishing. if you don't think there is embellishing or twisting going on......

I live close to pickeral and fish it occasionally, the lake hasnt been killed off yet, but is supposed to happen this year, the dnr will be restocking with northerns and perch,if the watershed go's through with their planning on time. they should put the crappies in their as well, i hope!

You more confident than most. I err on the side of caution. It doesn't take long for things to "twist".

Really? I didn't think my comments was directed at me being confident. I thought it was cautious just like yours. It's like someone telling you to take a shortcut on your road trip. you would take note, but actually check it throughly before taking the short cut to see if it's there. Common sense to me.

Originally Posted By: CrappiesNCats
i totally understand. my only thought on it is that this is a message board for fishing. if you don't think there is embellishing or twisting going on......

I think we all understand & agree. There is not reason to doubt or accept such info if oneself don't know foresure. So there is no reason to say it will embellish or twist. So just because we don't know for sure doesn't mean we can't hear about it. Maybe some locals could chime in on this thread provide us with some light on whats really going on at Pickeral.

Leaving the "hearsay" out if possible is a good idea like Otter said because things do get blown out of proportions. Im just saying not all rumors are said with a bad intent. Nuff said.

Originally Posted By: mr marbles
I live close to pickeral and fish it occasionally, the lake hasnt been killed off yet, but is supposed to happen this year, the dnr will be restocking with northerns and perch,if the watershed go's through with their planning on time. they should put the crappies in their as well, i hope!

Thank you. What we all been waiting to hear on this thread. \:\)

Now aren't you glad you heard about the rumors?

Originally Posted By: mr marbles

i hope it goes back to the way it once was. we pulled some beautiful perch out of the lake and a lot of nice crappies out of the channel.

Sorry to get any undies in a twist. It just was what I heard but didnt want to say it as a for sure fact. Just wanted to say so since there was a chance of it being done. I do think there is more hear say on here than we would like to accept, but when one person says so they get chewed on about it? guess it is my bad for bringing it to light of what could have been done. I did not see any harm in it.. just putting possiable information out.

Anyways I have done well in years past out by the island with nice sized perch and a few crappies in the mix. There is a old road that leads out to the island from the south shore that can be good if you can find it. it has been flooded over for sometime now. if you can find it, its about the best structure you will find out there. it has a little drop on each side and fish stack up on it off and on. Good luck if you do try it!

I really dont want to see that housing development and golf coarse being built next to the lake, i would like to have at least one lake without so much built up around the lake, someday we wont have a lake without housing developments on it, kind of sad! i do hope they get the electric carp barrier put in this year also, but it seems to me the watershed comm, is moving a little slow on this.I had HEARD that areators will be put in the lake also but do not know when.

Thanks. No problem...

Perhaps I'm a little over-protective too being a Moderator.

With the housing going up, I feel bad for the people that waterfowl hunt out there. I have a feeling it will mess it up. although there are many other marshes to hunt. Although maybe there will be a nice landing put in, instead of the joke thats in there!

Hey Marbles, do you know how many years that old road has been flooded over? I really think it would have been awsome to live on the island out there! Even be nice to get ahold of the land and build a little cabin out there. Looks as if the old house out there has sat empty for a good 30 to 40 years if not longer!

Thanks. No problem...

Perhaps I'm a little over-protective too being a Moderator.

I know how it goes. I am a Mod on a couple different reptile forums. Although there are more tactful ways on expressing your opinion on subjects. Need to watch your wording on post or people get the wrong idea! On here its mostly fishing information that gets passed around, where I am a mod it may cost an animal their life if I post wrong or "jump" someone. Just watch your wording so it dont look like your chewing on them..But there is no hurt feelings..Just the internet.

one more question about the lake. why isnt it listed on Lake Finder on the DNR website...strange

well i know back in the 40, or 50,s that some kids were stuck out there during the armisist day blizzard,{spelling?} the road would come and go with the waterlevels , many years ago when i was a kid i could walk out there without getting my knees wet.But i think if the dnr steps in and would do somethings it could be a really good fishin lake.I know Bonnerups family{funeral home} used to own one of the cabins out there.they used to grow crops on the island as well.