• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for a handgun?????????

hunterfisher

I am new to handguns and am looking for something fun to shoot. We usually go up to the cabin and lay all our guns out and grab what ever you want and put some rounds through it for fun, nothing to serious or competitive. We have lots of different rifles, shot guns, 9mm and 44 handguns. I was looking at a Rossi model r97206 - .357 mag stainless with 6" barrel, 6 shot. i like the idea of being able to also shoot .38 for price of ammo.

I have been reading online and it doesn't seem like anyone has anything bad to say about the gun. I can get a new one for about $375 or is there a better choice if i can find something used for about the same price? I haven't been able to find these used anywhere. Can you really find good deals at gun shows or is just alot of options? I am new to handguns and any info it would be greatly appreciated..

A .22 semi auto is a lot of fun to shoot and the cost of ammo lets you shoot a lot more rounds for the same money when compared to any of the centerfires. Ruger and Browning make some really good guns that are about in your price range for the Rossi.

You can find some good deals at gun shows, but be prepared to negotiate a little.

Out of all of my 5 hanguns my Ruger 22LR with bull barrel is BY FAR the most fun to shoot. Cheap and accurate!

mnsprtsmn

Thanks for the responses. I have been talking to a friend and it seems like I just might have to pick up a couple of guns.He also says to go with a 22. But then we got talking about bear hunting with a bow and i would like to have a side arm (just in case)so for that i would need to go with a 357 or 44. Anybody have a ruger redhawk 44 9 1/2" stainless with scope for sale...... it seems like my friends just want to spend my money.

It just goes to show, you can never have too many guns.

full size glock, model 20 I believe, in 10mm auto.....lighter to carry than a 357 or 44 mag. more energy than 357 I beleive, but i could be wrong. it will hold 15rds

Hunterfisher, the 10mm is a legal firearm to have on you when you are out hunting big game, 9mm, 40, and 45 are not legal for taken out in the bow stand during bear season.

If price is the main issue,Rossi might get you by ok.If you can spend more for a .357 revolver, I would go with a Smith & Wesson, or a Ruger.Both are more money, but better quality, IMO.Rugers platform is one of the beefiest and strongest out there.I had a S&W years ago,and I should have never sold it.

Be careful at gun shows.If possible, go to a vendor that you may know a bit about. Looking at a perspective gun to buy,I would check to see if there is any slop in the cylinder.Dry fire it,if possible, but some vendors will not let you do this.If not, I would walk away.Visible condition of the gun is always a indicator of how well it was taken care of.If it is dirty,with alot of powder build up,or the barrel looks as if a rod hasn't been run through it, walk away.Sometimes you can find a jewel at a gunshow, but I have also seen people really get screwed.Have some knowledge of what you are looking for,before you go to the show.I caution you to not impulse buy at a gunshow.Take your time and think the whole purchase through, before you put the money down on the table.Hope this helps.

I've got a stainless .357 Taurus wheelgun for the same purpose. It is modeled after the S&W for a fraction of the price. Nice gun - I've used it over the years for plinking and for extra insurance running bear bait lines. I'd check into Taurus.

Taurus quality today is a lot better than a few years ago.I would definitely take a Taurus over a Rossi any day.Colt King Cobra was, and is, probably the best .357 revolver ever produced.Big bucks for the Colts,if you can even find one, nowadays.

I agree, the .357 Colt King Cobra is an excellent quality gun and was an affordable Colt. An alternative to the much more expensive .357 Colt Python.

Taurus also makes the "Raging Bull" in I believe .454 Causal. I've never shot one but suspect it wouldn't be "as fun" to shoot as a .357 (or as cheap).

Ruger used to make a nice looking .357 revolver (SP 100?). I never have shot one though.

I was a Bill's North last fall shooting pistols, and a guy next to me shot his .454 Casull Raging Bull.Talk about some serious firepower, and recoil. One other guy had a .38 Super, that got my attention as well. Big gun day there on that day.

Colts are going for premium prices these days, that's for sure.

I have shot a coworkers Ruger SP100 awhile back. Nice revolver.

Originally Posted By: WaveWacker
Springfield Arms HD whatever caliber you want. I have the HD9 (9mm) and love shooting it.

I believe he means "XD", and they are great guns.

HF, if you are looking used, you can pick up a S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 used for about $400 or so. They are high quality and a much better gun than the Rossi you are looking at. A 9mm or .357/.38 will be relatively cheap to shoot (ammo prices have skyrocketed!) but a .22 is the cheapest!

If you're new to handguns, you'll need to get a permit to purchase or concealed carry permit to buy a handgun. The permit to purchase is usually free, depending on your county you live in.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy hand gunning!

It is fun to have a variety to choose from, it just takes $$ to acquire \:\(

First part of the decision will be if you want a wheelgun or semiauto. Then as a starting point, pick a caliber that will be economical to shoot (i.e. 9mm, .22, 38 spl/.357). I have a GP100 in 357 and an XD in 9mm and love both, for different reasons. Have taken a couple deer with the GP, but gotta love opening up the semi on the range. Have fun and shoot safe!

Once again I must say thank you all for some great information. This site is absolutely the best for information helpful and knowlegeable people. I did already obtain my permit to purchase and went to the gun show last weekend at the convention center. I went with a friend who knows quite a bit about guns and we were able to find a nice Ruger GP100, 357, 6" barrel, stainless for the same money that I would have spent on that Rossi. I am glad I went with a friend to curb my excitement and help me not make any "impulse" buy's like Rockman said. The vender did let me dry fire the gun and it was in great shape.

Can't wait to find a nice 22 handgun.

I am hooked and don't think I could ever stop with only purchasing one gun. thanks again for all the helpful info.

Nice, very nice purchase,hunterfisher.Ruger GP100 is built like a tank.The impulse buy input was based on my own personal experience. \:D It is best to try to avoid buyers remorse, if you know what I mean. grin.gif

• 1 month later...

hunterfisher, browning makes a great 22 cal in the buckmark model i have 2 they shoot great with a red dot on them i can shoot a nickel to quarter size hole at 50 yds.

Here's some food for thought, as you look for a smaller caliber. You can get some very reasonably priced handguns chambered in .17 HMR (Hornaday Magnum Rimfire). You can get a box of 50 rounds for about 10 bucks and it's a fast and accurate round with a negligible difference in recoil. You get over 2000 fps and some great varmit killing capability, while remaining economic. Have fun!

I have a taurus it is a 1993 669 in 357 I like and has been very accurate and the price was right $280. The GP100 is a great pistol and would be very high on my list. S&W's are nice and I would buy one but the prices are a bit high for me. Next on my list is an XD. If you are serious about bear the 44 mag would be an obvious choice for me.

i had a walther p22 for my first handgun. fun to shoot, cheap ammo, overall great gun plus comes with a threaded barrel from the factory so very easy to add accessories. Right now i have a bretta 92 9mm. costs a little more to shoot, but a lot more fun and accurate.

Like I said in my last post "I don't think I could ever stop with just one gun" I did pick up a used Ruger MKII 22. I like the idea of being able to afford the ammo with as many rounds that I have put through the GP100 (38's and 357's) I decided to get another 22. But I do like shooting a revolver so I went with a Ruger single six convertible w/6 1/2" barrel.

This is very addicting and plan on trying to get a Super Redhawk 44 mag for hunting by the end of the summer. The President did say we should spend that economic stimulus check didn't he!!!!!!

Thanks again for all the great input.

• 1 month later...

I am by no means a gun buff but a fun looking gun that I have been looking at lately is called "the judge" made by Taurus. From what I understand, it is chambered for .45 rounds but the chamber is long enough to also accomidate .410 shot gun shells.

Seems to me a guy could do a little quick drawing on some squirrels and grouse!

I have a Taurus Judge and it is alot of fun but forget about shooting birds with it. It is meant as a self defense gun and with a barrel that short you can't hit anything farther than about 10-15 feet.(i tested it on paper) With 45 colt the gun shoots great.

Good luck on finding a Judge right now. I work at gander mountain and we have not been able to get one in for probably 4 months, and customers are telling me that it is the same way everywhere else. We got a letter saying that Taurus is importing these guns very slowly, and the demand is very high on them right now.