• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Huge 'Tonka Muskie - Part III

blackdog1101

I'm a bit baffled by the "one of those bad luck things." What was so bad luck about it? We don't know how long he had the fish out of the water and we can obviously see he has no idea how to hold a fish of this size. This tells me that the whole process of catching, photo'ing, and releasing might have all been done very poorly. That doesn't qualify for bad luck in my book.

Here's another topic we could go round and round on this site about. Why are we so quick to attack the DNR? I live in Northern MN and I see more law breakers than I do bad DNR officials. Sure we have a few bad seeds, but some of you would defend that fisherman even if he had speared the [PoorWordUsage] thing.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnipeZilla

• Fish Monger

• markkstanley

• blackdog1101

Originally Posted By: Chopper
I feel more importantly you have a responsibility to know what to do in the case of catch like this. You should know what to do if you catch a goby, you should know how to handle a musky of this size including hanging it from it's gill plates.

I have no idea how to hold something like this. Is there a class I can take or would you be willing to show everyone how to do it properly?

I was thinking the same thing. What is he doing holding the fish up by the gills? It would be like holding a guy up by his ear lobe. Way too many fishing shows have the host posing like this. WRONG!!!!

No one can argue this isn't a fish of a life time though!

You should use a horizontal hold and support the belly - which he did one photo. A vertical hold like some of the photos is a very bad thing for fish this size. My comment regarding bad luck is I have caught large pike and musky ice fishing and have never come close to having one die. These guys did all they could to revive the fish. I've never had to drill out a release hole like they did. Just did not work out for them.

Funny thing is, the DNR spokesperson said that the reason for stopping the season is that catch and release has poor success that time of year for muskies.... sooo... the guy should have released it... Anybody else see the irony?

Exactly -- if the DNR really wanted to protect muskies in the winter, it should prohibit catching them in the first place. Since this is beyond the DNR's control, the law should have remained the same.

I feel the Musky lobby is getting too powerful if they can influence the DNR to change laws to their benefit like this. I say catch and keep all the Muskies we can, then at least there will be more walleyes and other species of fish left in our abundant lakes. If one wants to catch something that big, they should go deep-sea fishing.

They changed it to stop people from targeting them, not just to make them release fish, most muskie anglers would do this anyways. It will no doubt save many muskies lives, but there will always be some accidental catches and most wont make it but the law is there for a reason and yes you have to put a dying or dead fish back into the lake. For those who dont understand why this is necessary, if they allowed people to keep a fish out of season ONLY if the fish was obviously dying, then anyone who wanted to keep a fish out of season would just have to say "it was dying so I kept it" wheather its true or not, any unfortunatly too many people would do this if it was allowed.

Originally Posted By: Fish Monger
Exactly -- if the DNR really wanted to protect muskies in the winter, it should prohibit catching them in the first place. Since this is beyond the DNR's control, the law should have remained the same.

I feel the Musky lobby is getting too powerful if they can influence the DNR to change laws to their benefit like this. I say catch and keep all the Muskies we can, then at least there will be more walleyes and other species of fish left in our abundant lakes. If one wants to catch something that big, they should go deep-sea fishing.

that has to be a joke, cause i dont think i have heard anything more ignorant than that one

FishMonger,

I dont think anyone has the right to basically say there shouldn't be muskies in our lakes so there can be more walleyes and other species. I think every single angler has the right to fish for whatever species they want (assuming it is in season)

#1 Its off topic of the post

#2 "killing off" musky so walleyes can flourish would completly backfire resulting in less walleyes due to overpopulation.

Sorry to perpetuate the off topic-ness.

I have to chime in on this as I personally know this guy who caught the fish. I have never known of a muskie that he has caught, that he kept. He has caught alot of BIG fish and always has released them. Now I dont know for sure, if he intentionally kept the fish. I will believe him if he told me he tried to release it. Its a shame the DNR took the fish... Shame on them!

Originally Posted By: FishinChad
They changed it to stop people from targeting them, not just to make them release fish, most muskie anglers would do this anyways. It will no doubt save many muskies lives, but there will always be some accidental catches and most wont make it but the law is there for a reason and yes you have to put a dying or dead fish back into the lake. For those who dont understand why this is necessary, if they allowed people to keep a fish out of season ONLY if the fish was obviously dying, then anyone who wanted to keep a fish out of season would just have to say "it was dying so I kept it" wheather its true or not, any unfortunatly too many people would do this if it was allowed.

I understand Chad, and my post was not meant to be anti musky or pro musky. Just that it is, well, purty durned goofy logic IMHO.

I tipup fish for pike. Does anybody really target muskies through the ice? My guess is most are caught by pike anglers anyway, and using the DNR logic, the fish will die anyway... unless we outlaw pike fishing... and truly that is not a serious thought of mine.

BTW, I do like muskies, and have caught a handful and not kept one, and never will. But for all the people so concerned about muskies and how precious they are, maybe we should NOT even have a season on them at all, that will save the most muskie lives ;\) tongue firmly planted in cheek...

Good conversation though, glad everybody is playing nice \:\)

point well made BigBritt! It's better just to focus on the topic at hand anyway. Ha, good point Box. There's obviously enough muskies in our waters that one fish being gone wont hurt it too dramatically. And thanks to this whole debate, tons of people now know about this and wont make the mistake this gentleman allegedly did.

IT appears that there are a few to many folks on this thread who are seeing a lot of black helicopters.... Anyone who thinks that the DNR did anything wrong and that the guy shouldn't have his fish taken away and/or fined is crazy. You are the same people who claim that the governement cant tax you, the the is illegal, the state can't take your Drivers license away, aliens landed at roswell, George W started 9/11, kermit the frog shot Kennedy, etc, etc, etc...

Grow up. It is your responsibility as a citizen to know the laws. More importnatly as sportsmen you should be setting an example. Quite whining. The guy is probably a really good person but you know what, he screwed up and should pay the price.

Every regulation in the handbook is passed by elected representatives, not the DNR. Get on their case for passing the packaged bill 5 days before it would take effect.

I see no qualms with the unfortunate incident on Minnetonka other than the fish dying. The guy caught a fish of a lifetime with pictures and can get a replica, the state has another mount for the state fair grin.gif and gets more attention on the regulation (which was undercirculated as some have said) which was enforced correctly with some common-sense discretion. Both parties move forward amicably.

MOY007 -- I have to discreetly disagree with you on some points of law and ask some questions. What good is a law that nobody knows about? It is a law that nobody follows. It is a law that cannot be enforced because nobody knows exists. As in the case of the 52" inch 'Tonka Muskie, because few if anybody knew the law existed, it should not have been enforced -- this includes letting the guy keep the fish he earned.

Then one must ask why few, if anybody, knew the law existed? It is because the state government officials are fine with arguing all day about how many votes they need to "trade" with the other side so they can get a different piece of legislation passed, so they can brag about it to their constituency; all of the time IGNORING their duty to inform the CITIZENRY of new laws that are passed. Publishing it on the internet, one Sunday Outdoors section of the Pioneer Press, even publishing in the Outdoor News is not convincing to me that the state wanted people to know about this new law. So unless one loves living in Communist Russia or Fascist Germany, where laws may be made up on the spot or changed daily to meet their arbitrary administrative (or in this case, taxidermist) needs, one has to agree that the fisherman should get to keep his fish. This has nothing to do with black helicopters, drivers licenses or aliens at Roswell, NM. This has to do with regulation booklet that is unclear, conflicting, and in many ways, out-of-touch with common sense and the history of Minnesota. For the DNR to pass-the-buck and say it is not their job to adequately inform people of new laws, is simply the irresponsible perspective here, and leaves room for abuse of power.

The fisherman made no mistake here -- he did the ethical thing by keeping the fish.

Every year I read the regulations book when I buy my fishing license. That is the only time of the year that I look at the book, unless I have a specific question, and I bet this is the case for 99% of the fishermen out there. I had no idea that the season changed, and I am on this site multiple times every day.

I think that the DNR had to take the fish, or else it would have been setting themselves up for issues moving forward. A fine in this situation would have been atrocious.

Originally Posted By: MOT007
Grow up. It is your responsibility as a citizen to know the laws.

MOT007, I presume you're going fishing sometime soon. Do you plan to check the DNR website before you go to make sure that the regulations haven't changed on any of the species you may catch? The regulations show that crappie season never closes and that walleye season closes on 2/24. But you're going to check the DNR website first, right?

In defense of the DNR, we send news releases out to all the main newspapers (Star Trib, Pioneer Press, Outdoor News and other local newspapers). It was also discussed here as well as I want to say that I saw it on at least one local news station. Also, as Hanson pointed out the possibility of the change was noted in the 2007 reg book.

I'm not high enough on the food chain to be involved in these decisions, but it probably would be less confusing if the changes were made effective at the start of the next season if the rules are changed in mid-season, but when you are dealing with politics all I have to say is UGH!!!

I belive the angler was treated fairly under the circumstances and it could have been much worse for him. From what I've read, I think he had good intentions, but unfortunately was not up to speed on the regulatons.

It definitely was a nice fish and will probably be used as an educational tool and not kept by the investigating CO as insinuated by one poster.

WAR EAGLE!!!!

I agree with MOT007, as sportsmen we have to be responsible, and that means adapting to our states management techniques. I know many anglers carry their cell phones wherever they go. I would suggest putting the local CO's number in there, or any CO's number in there in case an unforeseen situation arises. I am posting a link that has all the states CO's cell phone numbers listed. As you know, our CO's are overworked and may not be able to answer their cell phone at any given time. You may also call the DNR Information Center at (651) 296-6157 or toll free at 1-888-MINNDNR. You can also call the TIP hotline by dialing #TIP if you are a Cingular Wireless, Midwest Wireless, Unicel, or Verizon Wireless subscriber. If you are not with one of those companies, the hard line to TIP is 1-800-652-9093. With all the resources our state has provided, there really is no excuse not to know what's going on. I've called this one of these numbers on numerous occasions out in the field when a regulation is in question; and I believe catching a trophy Muskie through the ice constitutes and area where I would want to be sure before I kept a fish. It's better to be safe than sorry. This guy was lucky to only have gotten a warning. The CO number link is below.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/enforcement/phonedirectory.pdf

I think everything was handled properly except I don't think they should change a regulation mid-season. If they need to change a reg. it should automaticaly apply to the next season and then stated in the new book. That would solve a lot of confusion. Until this incident happened I'm sure most people did not know of the new regs.

The point is this law did not HAVE to be changed mid season.

I don't really have a problem with a mid season change(like the cooking fish on the ice change),UNLESS it is more stringent than the law currently in place.

This was a bad mid season change that would have probably gone unnoticed if not for this poor guy getting pinched

Well like people have said, on page 5 of the regs book, the proposed musky season change is listed. It just like when you buy a Vikings ticket and it says that the time is subject to change in the fine print on the back so the NFL can change the time to primetime if it is projected to be a big game. Like i've been saying all along, ignorance towards the law is no excuse. MOT007....you got the right ideas.

"I belive the angler was treated fairly under the circumstances and it could have been much worse for him. From what I've read, I think he had good intentions, but unfortunately was not up to speed on the regulatons."

Blaming the victim will get the DNR nowhere. Circumstances might have been much better for the fisherman too -- he could have kept the fish he caught. That would have been the equitable thing to do. To give a guy 11 days to find out about a newly passed law, in a sport where laws rarely take effect mid-season, is unfair on its face. News releases obviously do not work. The Pioneer Press and Star Tribune -- these have turned into rags at best. Maybe podcasts will work better? Perhaps $200,000 of taxpayer money could be spent on studying what media outlet works best. But then again, this would be five less extended cap pickups for the new year to be dispatched for the DNR to count five-legged frogs along the Mississippi River...Lets face it, this one was bungled from the Governor, through the government, to the agency applying the laws. Citizens should not have to pay for the desultory and inefficient, not to mention ineffective, government.

The best educational piece coming from this story would be to show two pictures -- one with the fisherman holding his fish vertically, then another picture with the fisherman holding nothing. Before and After...

Just got a forward with a picture of the fish. This fish is now 57" long, as claimed by a friend of the guy who caught it. grin.gif Gotta love it

Is the book the book,or is as is per Bill.

Must we all go on the net every time we fish?

The DNR got their undies in a bunch,reference just the warning!!

it is our responsibility to know the laws, if that was the case everyone could say they didn't know "a law was implemented" so that is the dumbest thing i've heard... Know the laws, you shouldn't be targeting or keeping muskies in any season anyways.... all should go back... nice fish though...

Boy, I'm sure glad this guy came across a level headed CO. If it were left up to some of you he'd be dangling from a rope in town square.