• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was up on saturday and fished from 8:00- 10:30 and only got one that was 15.5" I had a couple other good fish show up and chase but couldn't get them to go. We ended up over on upper white fish and did really well fishing eyes. the fish I did get came in 70 fow and hit a big aiplane jig. the ciscos are thick in there and I think alot of the larger trout are up in the water column chasing them.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fishgutz77

• walleye365

• anchor man

• Fred_Bear

fishgutz77 what side of the lake do you fish. i was out from the landing today in 30 to 70 fow alot of chasers no takers

I fished a small hump mid lake that topped out @ 40ft and then up to the narrows by that big underwater point that's up there and then back towards the access by the race track in 70ft and got the fish there. I drove a white full size pickup with a topper on it. maybe you saw us. We went over to upper whitefish and did real well on walleyes but only one whitefish. we were drilling holes where no one had fished at all this year up there. I caught all my fish on buckshots and chubby darters.

thanks for the info fishguts77. if i get in to any i will let you know. i will stop buy if i see ya

fishgutz,

I spent 3pm-6:30 on the very tip of Fish House bar, near upper and missed a few flags and no luck with my buckshot. Do you mind me asking what type of depth you were in? I tried from 14 to 35. I did see one nice 'eye on the camera, but it wanted nothing to do with my bait.

Thanks

I fished 21-36 fow hard. we drilled a hundred holes and fished five different spots on upper whitefish. every spot we fished I did not see another holed drilled. When I cleaned the fish I kept all were males which was kinda nice. most fish came around the 25-26 fow. when they did show up some were slow and others just pounded the bait. I saw all the people over by killworry and the saddle outside of the pine river inlet and I think staying away was a good idea.

I also wonder how many eyes are camera shy? seems like when we put the camera down we don't have the action that we do with out it. It is fun to see a 10 or 12 pounder show up though. I'm going to get a set of realweeds for the camera next year and see it that makes a difference. W

We did not get over to UWF untill 11:00 a.m and caught all our fish from then until 6:00.

I'd like to get back up to fish whitefish but it seems they are still scattered and I can only get one here and there. you guys got any good spots for whitefish I'll trade for my eye spots.

good luck see ya on the chain.

I've done a lot of Canada laker fishing but never in MN before so I was planning to make a little day trip to Big Trout next week over my spring break to try for some laker action.

I know nothing about this lake except that it holds a decent population of fish. Will I be able to drive on with a half ton pick up?

And when exactly does the season close for Lake Trout?

Thanks for any info in advance!

fred bear yes you can drive on and the season closes on the 16 of march. the bite has been slow for me got a few in the 12 to 14 in range in 40fow.few and far apart doesnt hurt to try thow.

fishgutz i hav a spot on cross were i fish pike we got in to some whitefish. fish the pike in 14 and it dropes in to 30 i tryed it for eyes all igot were whitefish the biggest was 20inches.

Thanks 365 I heard it wasn't great out there but it's the only lake to lake trout that's anywhere near me so i figure i'll give it a shot and try a few spots.

Fred- be ready to drill lots of holes and keep moving, the last decent fish I got came out of 70 fow on a big airplane jig and minnow, If you don't have fish chasing in 20-30 min. I would move. 9-11:00 seems to be best. If using a tip up I would put it down only 10-12ft below the ice for that big cruiser. If that seems to shallow try 28-30 ft. good luck. you can drive anywhere just don't go near the narrows to whitefish.

Walleye 365, if I wasn't going to LOW for 4 days I would be back up to get some whiteys and fish trout. I got one on whitefish 2 weeks ago that was 24 inches, he smoked up good.

fishgutz them whiteys fight i could'nt believe it.i thought i maybe had a nice eye on but no dice. i'll be on big trout hopfully sunday just to scrach the itch. couple of us are heading to burntside the 15 and 16 should be fun. fred move move and move cover some ice and it will up your chances

im going to hit BT this sat mornin or sun afternoon. how shallow has any one fished them im going to try like 15 to 70 fow. anyone haveing any luck out as of late.

365, I like to start at 25-30 and go from there to 80 on BT.

Catching a 4#+ whitey is fun, they fight all the way to the top.

Maybe I'll bump into you on the 15th.

I just got back from LOW after 3 days of fishing hard I'm wiped. big fish was 22" amd we where catching 10-15 fish per day. lots of small sauger to keep ya busy till the eyes showed up.

fishgutz i will defalently be out in the am on the 15. this next weekend 8 and 9 heading to ely for lakers first time up there should be a good time on burntside cant wait. glad to hear you got in to some fish up there.

nothin biten out there? last sun i manadged a 17in laker biggest this year anyone else. hope it turns around the last weekend.

good luck fishin this weekend everyone sense no one seems to have any luck including my self out there. heading to burntside

fishgutz i will be lookin for ya. just geting ready to head to ely. let you know how we did when i get back

fishgutz we got two 17in and 25in and the biggest pout iv seen caught 32in my girlfriend got the two big ones and a buddy the other i missed three two hooked up and got off and a plain miss. not a bad time at all fished from 25 to 60 fow they came out of 60 6ft off bottom.

Just to confirm, is March 16 the last day to fish for trout? I'm going to give it my first try ever on BT this weekend. I'm guessing I may see some of you out there. What's the best type of minnow to use under a tip up for these critters..and is midday as good as any, or should I try closer to dusk/dawn?

Thanks

anchor man yes the 16 is the last day id go with rainbows under that tip up. try am to midday and move around good luck

Anyone else going to be on BT this weekend? My bro-in law and I are pretty fired up to give this trout thing a try.

Anchor, keep moving and work the 30-70 fow use big baits and jig like you mean it. good luck I'll be chasing lakers farther north.

was out to day fished couple spots 40ft hump were i never marked a fish than back up to the landing in 45 to 70fow marked alot of fish only three 14inchers and they hit 6ft off bottom in 60fow. has anyone caught a decent laker this year i got 17in thats the biggest. 6 years ago a buddy got 27in they got to be in there.

There have been a few larger fish this year but not many. I had a tough time getting anything over 16". Went to B-side this saturday. wait till ya see the pix on monday. got one that was 29" and some eaters.

fishgutz, nice laker cant wait to see it that b-side awsome lake i wish i could of had a week to fish up there instead of weekend. did manage a couple eaters on BT to day finaly 17in. 33fow 2ft off bottum

Fished Fri and Sat for few hours each and ended up with nine, but 13in. was the biggest. 40-48ft is where we got them. Do the bigger fish typically hang with the small ones, or should we have moved in search of them?