• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

my first shotgun

maxing45

I just got my first shotgun, given from my father-in-law. he says it is really good gun. Just wondering if it is. winchester mod.12

A Model 12 is one of the all time great pump guns. It's probably an older gun so be careful with the harder non toxic shot with that gun.

Last fall Field and Stream did their "Top 50 shotguns of all time" article and the Mod 12 was, I believe, in the top 15. So, yup, you received a good gun.

In addition, it was given to you from a family member. That alone make the gun priceless.

Check and see if it is a full choke, an improved cylinder, or a modified choke. If it is a full choke you likely will cause problems using steel shot and you will definitely get a poor pattern. It will give you years of service and likely will never cause any problems. Take it to a good gun shop (not a big box) and have them check it out and maybe clean it. They're a bear to take down and get really clean. They can also give you advice on the choke situation. Do it now during the off season and you'll be good to go and shoot some trap as soon as the grass greens up.

Now, about carrying a gun that heavy around ........

Enjoy and treasure the heirloom.

if I had a gun like that I would only shoot lead in it stay away from steel altogether . Pick up another gun or better yet borrow a gun from someboby til you have enough money to buy a hunting gun . For getting it checked out what choke you have take a dime and put it in the end of the barrow if it fits in side you do not have a full choke this works on most older guns . Either way i would not have it switched just to shoot steel. If you want it spread out more it will cost you about $40 at a gunsmith .This is one of the reason why i don't like the push to all steel it sure would be nice to have some exception for these older guns.

Originally Posted By: _FearNoFish4:20_
sell it save up for a Beretta Urika2~!

Are you crazy!!!! The model 12 is one of the best guns ever made... It's like 8th all time!! And a beretta?

hahahaha... You mean Benelli Super Black Eagle 2!!

The model 12 is a legend. Watch the steel out of it as posted above, and get it cleaned thoroughly.

Most of all, enjoy your first shotgun!

You may ask a smith as steel shot goes,the Mod.12 had 2 barrel materials one was nickle and I was told I could use nonlead in mine.

benelli is the most over rated gun. your paying for the name and to say well I have a benelli super black eagle. I dont know what it is about the name but its definately not the preformance! Ive owned a few benellis before my berettas and everyone i have was nothing but trouble. and yes i had the black eagle twice actually and it did nothing but jam. The beretta has never malfunctioned once! very reliable walking through thick cover. If someone gave me a benelli I would just sell it to some sucker and keep the overpaid cash for it!

if your ever lookin to sell it shoot me an e-mail thats an awesome gun i have a Browning A-5 and i was lookin to get pump action gun, so!

thanks

Please let me make an offer on any SBE you have so I can clean it properly (there is a trick) and restore this gun to it's glory.

I love my Benelli. I have the Cordoba and in my opinion it is the best auto that I have ever used. I can not knock the Berettas for anything except they are kind of a tank to carry in the field.

Beretta and Benelli are both fine guns guys, I've owned both. Relax. It's all about personal preference.

There is alot of good guns out there the problem is most of are out of price range for somebody that is starting out .my self i can't justify spending $1200 on a gun and have no money for gas and ect. just so i can say that i have a fancy gun.

I have a Super Black Eagle laying on my bench right now, and it needs cleaning. It is very sensitive to being clean. I myself am not a big fan of them. My 11-87 is more reliable and killes the birds just as good. You can buy at least 2 for the price of one. There are very good guns out there for the beginer, that are a lot cheaper. CAJ

Model 12 is a fantastic gun. According to Field and Stream , "Upland hunters, waterfowlers, and target shooters alike loved the Model 12 and for good reason: It pointed beautifully, was graceful to look at, and lasted forever."

As for the other running gun commentary, I can tell people what NOT to buy..... A Stoeger 2000. I had one for 4 weeks. Jams AND misfires. I dont know how many ringnecks lived to see another day because of that gun. Returned it to the store and bought an 11-87.

Needless to say, if a ringneck lives to see another day while you are carrying the model 12, it wont be the gun's fault.

there is good and bad in any makes of guns . Funny thing is that i use a stoeger for the last 3 years i can count on one hand how many times it failed me. mostly a good cleaning which is real easy to do also I lube it up with break free do not use oil . I have though about buying a different gun but tha stoeger just treats me to good.

Maxing, perhaps the important question is, does your father in law like you, or has he taken out a life insurance policy, you know... If he doesn't, make sure that the barrel is unobstructed, maybe have him "show you" how to shoot it. ;\)